: Nav keyboard?

cam30era
02-01-11, 03:02 PM
Just got a new 2011 SRX Premium last week. I really like all aspects of the vehicle. Very pleased, so far. The only point that I don't particularly care for is the keyboard for Nav destination input. Is there any way to change it to a QWERTY keyboard? I have searched the manuals and the options menus and can find nothing.

TheCaptain
02-01-11, 03:51 PM
Sorry, never heard of anything like that, or know of any way to change it...

Johnel5
02-01-11, 04:07 PM
I think he is referring to a standard typewriting or computer keybord. Notice that the first 6 letters on the top row of letters of the keyboard are QWERTY?
Somehow, typing out destinations with 2 hands (like a good typist) seems a bit much.

stevec5375
02-01-11, 05:13 PM
I think he is referring to a standard typewriting or computer keybord. Notice that the first 6 letters on the top row of letters of the keyboard are QWERTY?
Somehow, typing out destinations with 2 hands (like a good typist) seems a bit much.

Those of us who would prefer the QWERTY layout over an alphabetized keyboard do so because we know precisely where to find the letters. Once you become a facile typist on QWERTY, it's 2nd nature. No one would try to type on the popup screen with two hands like a typist. LOL!!

cam30era
02-01-11, 06:10 PM
Those of us who would prefer the QWERTY layout over an alphabetized keyboard do so because we know precisely where to find the letters. Once you become a facile typist on QWERTY, it's 2nd nature. No one would try to type on the popup screen with two hands like a typist. LOL!!

Thank you stevec5375. That is exactly why I asked the question, because it is nearly automatic for me, finding the letters on a QWERTY keyboard. Feels un-natural on an alphabetized keyboard, and I have to hunt for the letters.

Lack of responses leads me to believe that there is no option to switch the keyboard to a QWERTY layout.

stevec5375
02-01-11, 06:16 PM
Thank you stevec5375. That is exactly why I asked the question, because it is nearly automatic for me, finding the letters on a QWERTY keyboard. Feels un-natural on an alphabetized keyboard, and I have to hunt for the letters.

Lack of responses leads me to believe that there is no option to switch the keyboard to a QWERTY layout.

I think you are correct or I would have found it by now. I hate the alphabetized keyboard too.

algiorda
02-01-11, 08:07 PM
Why not bag the keyboard all together and use voice entry?

TheCaptain
02-02-11, 02:45 PM
Yea, sorry. I know what a qwerty keyboard is, I just meant I heard nothing of it for the SRX... :D

drjdan
02-02-11, 11:54 PM
I call OnStar and let them download. Much easier and if want the address for future ref just save it. Also can do while going down the road.

sube5186
02-03-11, 12:08 PM
I always wondered why using the alphabetized keyboard seemed so cumbersome. I'm so used to QWERTY. Never really gave it much thought.....until now that is. Yeah, would have made a lot more sense to use QWERTY. I guess the designer must not know how to type.

Sube

jcarlilesiu
02-03-11, 01:56 PM
The other thing that bugs me is the delay while typing. I know its searching for places that match what I am typing, but having to wait for the system or it not registering my strokes is annoying.