: bluetooth calling working intermittently?

nateblack
01-31-11, 07:01 PM
We just picked up a new 2011 SRX and at the dealership we were showed how to pair my brand new android mytouch 4G with the car. everything paired smooth as silk and seemed to be set up fine. the problem is that only 4 out of 10 calls use the in car mic and speaker system. the other times it will act like someone is calling, and the music pauses, we answer the call but it doesn't pass through to the car and i still have to pick up the handset to call. at first i thought it wasn't working when i dialed a certain method but its been a week now and it seems to be completely random when it chooses to use the car system for calls. i have tried to un pair and repair the bluetooth connection and try it with a different phone.

is this something anyone has had issues with? or does this sound familiar? i haven't had problems with other car call systems so i am wondering if this is something i should make the dealership fix.

jcarlilesiu
02-01-11, 10:15 AM
I have an Android HTC Incredible and never had these issues.

Is it only happening on out going calls, or incoming as well?

When I have my phone paired, I don't touch it at all. If a call comes in, I use the button on the steering wheel to answer.

If I am making an outgoing call, I again use the button on the wheel and then give the appropriate commands to dial by voice.

TheCaptain
02-01-11, 02:50 PM
I haven't had a problem with my BB Torch!

stevec5375
02-01-11, 04:10 PM
I have a Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile which runs the Android OS. When I first got the phone it was running version 2.1 (Eclair) of the OS. The BT connectivity to the SRX was flawless. Then I recently updated it to run version 2.2 (FroYo) of Android. I had some BT issues at first but I deleted the phone from the BT profile on the SRX and re-paired it and everything works fine now.

I would suggest that you go into the BT config on the car and remove your phone and re-pair it. That might straighten everything out. If not, take it to the dealer.

js615
05-26-11, 02:31 PM
@Nate - did yiou ever get this sorted out? My wife has a Samsung Epic (Android 2.2) and I have a HTC EVO (Android 2.2) - we both experience the same issue you describe. It's very frustrating. Sometimes it even fails to connect at all. I have removed the MyVehicle profile from both phone, removed the phones from the SRX's device list, re-paired (numerous times) and even tried have just her phone in the devices database (thinking perhaps more than one phone listed - althoug not actively connected - was messing up the system. Alas - no joy.

So - we're dealing with it. I suspect it's a phone OS issue - more related to Android OS than anything - but was curious what success others are having...

J.

GGMiv
05-26-11, 08:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 4.

js615
05-26-11, 09:05 PM
Anyone else having intermittent bluetooth issues?

Smokin' SRX
05-26-11, 10:23 PM
I have a Motorola Blur with the Android system. Recently AT&T offered me a massive update of the phones software. I took it and afterwards my phone had to be re-paired. It was dropping 2 out of 10 calls. Now none. Have you checked with your carrier for an update? (did it by Wi-Fi) Just an idea.

Also, do a complete power down (battery out) after deleting the phone. Power up and re-pair.
Good luck!

SS

MarioA
05-27-11, 08:18 AM
iPhone 4 works great with it.

Just wish the SRX would download/synchronize the contact list into its internal contact list.

js615
05-29-11, 06:48 PM
Must be an android thing - bith phones fully updated, still only works sometimes, other it does not. What's odd is that my EVO works perfect with my '09 CTS-V...Will have dealer check software for SRX head unit.

SoCalSRX
05-29-11, 07:57 PM
I've found that sometimes the Android Bluetooth gets "funky" (for lack of a technical term). If I shut down my phone (Droid X), pull the battery for 30 seconds, reinsert the battery and re-start the phone, the "funkiness" goes away and the Bluetooth works fine. I haven't had problems too often, but when I do a battery-pull seems to solve them.

js615
05-31-11, 10:55 AM
@SolCalSRX - yep - that is the fix that workes everytime. Unfortunately, that is not a fix that makes the wife all too happy. Her solution is not to use the BT at all. My fix, I might just get her an android 2.3 phone to see if the BT integration is any better (honestly, Android OS still lags BlackBerry here in a big way).

stevec5375
05-31-11, 12:07 PM
Do be so quick to blame Android for the BT problems. Remember that an ill-behaving app installed on your phone can cause all kinds of problems--some obvious, and some not so obvious. The Android Market is not policed as heavily as the Apple one. So if you install some bad app, you can have all kinds of strangeness occur.

js615
05-31-11, 04:52 PM
Do be so quick to blame Android for the BT problems. Remember that an ill-behaving app installed on your phone can cause all kinds of problems--some obvious, and some not so obvious. The Android Market is not policed as heavily as the Apple one. So if you install some bad app, you can have all kinds of strangeness occur.

True, however, installing an app would not interfere with the bluetooth antenna operation - unless it was a bluetooth app using the bluetooth API. If your phone is stable with whatever apps is current has loaded, it should remain stable while using bluetooth. The bluetooth and phone procedure calls are run under seperate API calls.

In being transparent here, I do work for a carrier in technology development, so I am VERY familiar with device OSs as well as others and am well versed in the technology (by education and 20+ yrs in the telecom business). I do know of some documented issues with GM vehicles and certain devices and OS's, in particular with Froyo (Android 2.2). Unfortuantely, NDA and corporate social media policy's prevent me from sharing details in public forum. Having said that, my inquiry was to ascertain if anyone had found a better solution than a battery pull.

I am still searching myself - including trying some new phones.

sharron32
06-01-11, 11:12 AM
I am having the same issue with my HTC Evo

sube5186
06-01-11, 09:38 PM
Is anyone out there using a phone running Gingerbread (Android 2.3)? If so, are you having any BT connectivity problems? I'm getting ready to purchase either the Samsung Function (Galaxy S II) or Motorola Targa once they hit the market in the U.S.

Thanks!

Sube

js615
06-02-11, 02:18 PM
Good news for the Sprint HTC EVO owners - Gingerbread headed your way! Android 2.3 update will be pushed beginning Monday, 6/6. (you can manually download starting 6/3 -> To access the update – from the home screen/Menu/Settings/System updates/HTC software Update. This will initiate the upgrade process.) Let's hope the extra UI stability with 2.3 applies to BT and helps with our bluetooth issues...assuming it's simply not an issue with software on GM's side of the equation.

Here is a list to the fixes. http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html
The 2.3 update is expected soon for the Samsung Epic 4G as well.

sube5186
06-02-11, 09:43 PM
I can't speak on the HTC EVO, but my wife just got Gingerbread on her Droid X yesterday and she absolutely loves it. Everything is smoother, faster and more stable. Haven't had a chance to test it in the car, but her phone worked fine in the SRX with Froyo.

Sube

qball
06-09-11, 07:18 PM
My wife has been having numerous problems with her I-phone 4 connecting. Wondering if the SRX Onstar system is confusing things? I had a similar connection problem with my 4-Runner...turning the I-phone Bluetooth off nad back on solved it.

stevec5375
06-09-11, 07:29 PM
My wife has been having numerous problems with her I-phone 4 connecting. Wondering if the SRX Onstar system is confusing things? I had a similar connection problem with my 4-Runner...turning the I-phone Bluetooth off nad back on solved it.

OnStar has nothing to do with Bluetooth. It is satellite based except for the built in phone which is cellular based.

qball
06-10-11, 05:02 PM
OnStar has nothing to do with Bluetooth. It is satellite based except for the built in phone which is cellular based.

It could be my wife confusing things but both are hands free calling and she may be screwing it up somehow. I probably need to get in her SRX with the book and figure it out.

SRX2011
06-13-11, 02:35 PM
I am having similar issues with my iPhone 4 (AT&T). The phone pairs easily enough - BUT - I'd say about 70-80% of the calls fail to work properly. Then some odd things happen: it seems like the Onstar phone tries to pick up/dial, or, the phone will connect and then quickly disconnect, and then call back on its own. You never know what it's going to do. It's very frustrating. We've tried updating the iphone software, un-pairing and re-pairing and taking it to the dealership. No one has any idea what to do. Since it's an iphone - i don't have the option of pulling the battery. Any ideas?
Also, i know it's unrelated (maybe?) but my record to hard drive function doesn't seem to work when my ipod or iphone is plugged in (that's the only time i've tried it since you can't record from XM).

Thanks for any helpful tips to help out with this VERY frustrating problem.

qball
06-19-11, 08:18 PM
Still having bluetooth connection problems with our I phone 4...(I am having similar problems with my i phone in my 4-runner). Never had this problem with our Droids in either vehicle.

bulldog89
06-22-11, 07:17 PM
I am having a very similar problem with my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3.3 on a 2011 SRX with the Premium package. I had the dealer check for any bluetooth issues specific to Apple, but none were reported.

TRMN8R1
06-23-11, 11:44 AM
Having similar issues (from day one upon delivery) with my BB WE8830. It worked when I took delivery of the vehicle, then stopped sometime after that. I returned to the dealer and he removed from SRX BT list, re-paired, worked when I left the dealer. No worky again. Very frustrating as my intent was to use the SRX BT connectivity to my BB when my Motorola BT earpiece needed charging. As a rep, I'm in my SRX office a lot, and need to use both...................very frustrating (ugh).

stevec5375
06-23-11, 05:20 PM
My experience has been that anytime you get your SRX back from the dealer you might as well delete the phone and re-pair it. If they jack around with the programming, it often gets messed up. I have come to the conclusion that even here in Geeksville (Austin, TX) that most of the car techs don't seem to be too savy with the new computer-driven vehicles yet.

Randy Armstrong
12-29-11, 09:22 AM
I bought a 2011 SRX early Dec. My Samsung Trender phone worked for 3 days then stopped. Went to GM /Bluetooth site for compatible phones and purchased an EVO. Same results. 3 trips to the dealership later, they produced a GM bulletin that said they were working on an over the air fix that would take some time. One month later I have heard nothing from them or the dealership. In talking with others, it may be that the phone technology is too far ahead of GM...only a guess. This is frustrating.

Huey Driver
12-29-11, 10:15 AM
My EVO 4G is working fine. I had times that it didnt seem to pair up when I entered the car (I didnt get the bluetooth symbol on the screen of my base radio). I also had a period where even though everything seemed to be paired up right, it wouldnt send my call through the system. I have no idea if it was on the phone or the car side.
I unpaired and deleted all the pairing info from both the phone and the car, the re-paired, and things seem to have been going fine.

I am not saying that its an acceptable final solution, but if these things work, I figure I have 4 years before the final solution will cost me any money.

I have the same issue/solution with some of the vehicle setup things. My seats dont seem to warm up when I use the remote start, my rear defrost comes on with remote start even though I set it not to, my easy exit seat doesnt return to the right spot when I use the return feature. But it works for a while, and resetting to factory default fixes it for a while. Its not a final solution, but I'll get it fixed sooner or later...

Trippy
12-29-11, 06:31 PM
My EVO 4G is working fine. I had times that it didnt seem to pair up when I entered the car (I didnt get the bluetooth symbol on the screen of my base radio). I also had a period where even though everything seemed to be paired up right, it wouldnt send my call through the system. I have no idea if it was on the phone or the car side.
I unpaired and deleted all the pairing info from both the phone and the car, the re-paired, and things seem to have been going fine.

I am not saying that its an acceptable final solution, but if these things work, I figure I have 4 years before the final solution will cost me any money.

I have the same issue/solution with some of the vehicle setup things. My seats dont seem to warm up when I use the remote start, my rear defrost comes on with remote start even though I set it not to, my easy exit seat doesnt return to the right spot when I use the return feature. But it works for a while, and resetting to factory default fixes it for a while. Its not a final solution, but I'll get it fixed sooner or later...

So this is the 3rd year of the redesigned SRX you're driving and it still has problems that were on the 2010 model? What's wrong with this picture? This doesn't bode well for repeat business in my book.

Huey Driver
12-30-11, 10:25 AM
Actually, that wasnt what I was getting at. I have read the tantrums over the operation of the seats and how people THINK they should work. My comment is only that I have some trivial issues with how the setup works when I use remote start. If the worst thing is that my seat doesn't return to the right spot, but I can resolve it by hitting the memory button on the side of the seat, I have time to work with the dealer to get those resolved.
My difference with some of what I read here is that some people's argument seems to be with how they feel things should have been designed. The camera is a perfect case. Other than the person who had trouble with the video switching on taking a few seconds, no one has ever said it didnt work. They say they dont like it as designed, even though it only gets used a couple seconds a trip. I recall some of the complaints about the seats were whether or not they moved before or after a door was opened.
I bought the car 'as-is'. The camera and seats and engine functioned as designed and with a couple very minor exceptions, still do. I would rather enjoy it than spend all my time trying to find fault, foment dissatisfaction and complain about what I WISHED the car was. I WISH it was a third of the price and had a diamond studded steering wheel standard.

TheCaptain
12-30-11, 12:59 PM
... I WISH it was a third of the price and had a diamond studded steering wheel standard.

Wouldn't that hurt, or be really annoying on sunny days? lol

stevec5375
12-30-11, 03:12 PM
Actually, that wasnt what I was getting at. I have read the tantrums over the operation of the seats and how people THINK they should work. My comment is only that I have some trivial issues with how the setup works when I use remote start. If the worst thing is that my seat doesn't return to the right spot, but I can resolve it by hitting the memory button on the side of the seat, I have time to work with the dealer to get those resolved.
My difference with some of what I read here is that some people's argument seems to be with how they feel things should have been designed. The camera is a perfect case. Other than the person who had trouble with the video switching on taking a few seconds, no one has ever said it didnt work. They say they dont like it as designed, even though it only gets used a couple seconds a trip. I recall some of the complaints about the seats were whether or not they moved before or after a door was opened.
I bought the car 'as-is'. The camera and seats and engine functioned as designed and with a couple very minor exceptions, still do. I would rather enjoy it than spend all my time trying to find fault, foment dissatisfaction and complain about what I WISHED the car was. I WISH it was a third of the price and had a diamond studded steering wheel standard.

Using your logic we'd all still be riding around in horse drawn buggies. If people don't discuss their likes and dislikes and "foment dissatisfaction" then nothing would ever need to be improved upon. Necessity is the mother of invention. There is no "perfect" car/SUV/truck. I've yet to find one. But if we never spoke up and voiced our disappointments, what incentive would the manufacturer or a competitor have to improve upon it?

Randy Armstrong
12-31-11, 09:01 AM
I started with a Samsung Trender, which wouldn't work w/ the vehicle bluetooth. Found the GM phone compatability list and bought an HTC EVO. This phone also does not work properly. My calls go directly to the OnStar system. The dealer found a GM bulletin about 3 weeks ago that stated there were problems on their end and they were working on an "over the air" fix that may take months. Some feel that the cell phones are too far ahead of GM in technology and GM cannot keep up. My phone works fine with other bluetooth devices. I'm not surprised at the number of bluetooth complaints I've seen here. Good luck to everyone with this issue.

Huey Driver
12-31-11, 02:58 PM
As I said in a previous post, my HTC EVO 4G (not the 3D) works fine. I went through a brief period where things were going a little funky, but nothing like you are describing. Re-pairing the phone has seemed to have fixed it, even though the problems before the re-pair were intermittent.
When I call, I press the button on the wheel, and say "call". It comes back with "Call using 'my phone'" (where 'my phone' is what I recorded when I paired the phone. I found I can say 'Call Onstar' and it will use my onstar dialout, but if I just give a number, it dials using my phone.
You dont say what year your SRX is, but I dont think its a compatibility issue with the phone. I dont think my directory is working. I dont seem to be able to say a name instead of a number. But when I call, or get an incoming call, it shows the correct name in the display.
PS, I have the base radio.