Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Finally Got a New Radiator!

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  UnsafeAtAnySpd 
#1 ·
Well, after months of the V being down for a leaking radiator, I finally was able to pick up a new one (not like with the snow and R comps I'm able to drive it anyway). I'm looking forward to getting it installed and tested out on the track at the first Time Trial event in March. It also has an integrated oil cooler, so I'm going to pretty much copy crankedupforit's setup as oil temps have been an issue as well on track. Does anyone have the radiator removal instructions (Darkman? ;) )? I know it's pretty straight forward as I've removed the one from my parts car, but with a broken humerus I'll have to do it one armed pretty much. If anyone wants to come help... :p Anyway, here are some pictures. My cat, Kamber, seemed to want to be in most of the pictures...
Barely caught the UPS guy, but here it was like Christmas ready to be opened...

Great packing job:

And the radiator:

See less See more
#3 ·
See attached.

My Ron Davis installs just like stock, but it does not have the oil cooler feature. Unlike the attached instructions, I leave the fans on the radiator and remove them with the radiator. Also, the directions contemplate transmission cooler lines, which we do not have.

Good luck and congratulations - I love mine - temperatures stay at 195F no matter what.

#5 ·
Good luck with that thing of beauty. It should really give you some piece of mind at the track from now on. I'm going to be down in Cheyenne for an Engineering conference from this Wednesday night through Friday night, with probably quite a bit of free time during the day on Thursday at least (most of the day free). If you need some install help during that time or want to meet up and grab some food and a beer, let me know. My cell # is 605-390-4916.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the install instructions! Knew you'd come though. :)

Yeah, sexy indeed. Too bad it'll be hidden away behind the grill. lol

Sounds good. With how the temps dipped today, I may put it off for this week (plus I'm having an issue with the driver's side O2 on the SRT8 that needs to be taken care of). Either way, we should meet up and grab some food or something. I take it you're not bringing the V? SS instead?

#9 · (Edited)
The V is in hibernation. I actually traded off the TBSS for a used 2008 Silverado 5.3 Extended Cab last November. I had been wanting a pickup, and this deal worked out great. It's a bit of a downgrade in the motor department, but I got a vehicle that is newer and has quite a bit more Warranty left. I really like it. Here is a couple of crappy phone pix:

Yeah, give me a call or text when you get some free time and we'll have to meet up, grab some chow, and talk V stuff. I got some crazy ideas for track mods for the upcoming season, I want to run some stuff by you to see if some of the things I want to do will be smart, or if it will just push me out of a competitive NASA TT class.

Attachments

#10 ·
thats friggin huge... :pop2: on installed pics.. especially what it looks like with the front bumpercover off...

#14 ·
I'll get some pics for sure. Assuming it ever gets warm enough here. Wind chill has been below -40 the last couple of days. :crybaby:

Hm, i might go this route instead of just the regular oil cooler.

Few questions.... how much thicker is this versus the stock radiator? When I saw V-Sam's Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler, it was a TIGHT fit, to the point that the upper radiator hose had to be cut down to somewhat-fit.

What size are the oil cooler inlets/outlets? -10AN?
I'll get some measurements and side by side pictures. Having pulled the radiator out of my parts car, I can tell this is a lot bigger. The oil cooler is for -10AN fittings. They can do -12AN as well but I wasn't sure everything else would fit in that size.

Quit drivin like a granny and it will lol
Considering all the issues I've read of people having with their radiators, I'm surprised mine has lasted this long. As far as I know, it's the stock unit. Car has over 105k miles and near twenty track days, some of which is some very hot ambient temps.

#11 ·
Hm, i might go this route instead of just the regular oil cooler.

Few questions.... how much thicker is this versus the stock radiator? When I saw V-Sam's Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler, it was a TIGHT fit, to the point that the upper radiator hose had to be cut down to somewhat-fit.

What size are the oil cooler inlets/outlets? -10AN?

#12 ·
Andrew (I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that right), I will also be available tonight as the conference doesn't start until tomorrow. If you want to meet up, either tonight or tomorrow anytime would be fine with me. Later.

#15 ·
Is there a certain filling procedure to be used?

#18 ·
Anyone? On my Fiero, it's vital to do it a certain way or you can ensure that it will overheat. That car is a bit unique though with the radiator a long ways from the engine.

#17 ·
Nope.

#19 ·
Okay, bumping this back up as I have a problem. The fan is making contact (can be seen below in the pictures). When the fan kicks on sparks fly a bit from where the contact is barely made. First of all I wouldn't think that this is good to have electricity running through the back of the fan like this. Any ideas? Anybody else with this radiator making contact here? I just disconnected the fan for now, but that's not going to work for long lol. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.