: thinking of getting a 70 coupe deville

chickenbuttz
09-28-04, 04:43 PM
A guy down the street is selling a 1970 coupe deville. I can't run the carfax on it so what's the best way to check the background of this car? Are parts going to be hard to find if I decide to get it? Should I be aware of anything about this car before I get it?

luddyludwick
09-28-04, 05:31 PM
Be aware that....

THAT IS MY FAVORITE CADILLAC STYLING OF THE 60s AND 70s...lol

No seriously, they are beautiful cars; you're lucky if you're in a good position to get one.

Does he have any old service records? Some people keep all theirs; my '85 has the receipt for every repair done since, well, 1985! That's the best place to start. Other than that, just get a chance to sit in it, check out all the power accessories, and finally drive it. Listen/look/feel for anything "weird"...even if it is a little rough, that can always affect the bottom line to your advantage :)

ShadowLvr400
09-28-04, 06:07 PM
I will hunt you down and steal that car... It's kind of my dream ride.... *Whine* I wish I had the cash and space for a project car....

AElayyat
09-28-04, 08:27 PM
Make sure it has no rust and have fun with that 472.

barge master
09-29-04, 05:51 AM
All those big GMs from that era had frames that were boxed along the rocker panel. I don't think it would as much of an issue on a west coast car, but up here, frame rot was a serious problem with them. I've got a 70 in my yard and it's the first one I've seen in a long time with a good frame.

ChristianV
09-29-04, 08:20 PM
Well it depends how much they are asking? I say get it! But I'm impulsive. ;) Run over there with your digital camera, snap some pics, and post them here...

Night Wolf
09-29-04, 10:03 PM
I *normally* don't care for that body style (IMO '75/'76 looks much better)....BUT, there is 1 reason why I would love a '70 DeVille....

....1970 was the last year for the convertiable DeVille... I would want one with a white leather interrior too.... but if it was me, and it wasn't a drop top, then I would over look it.... just me personally... although if the price is right :burn: .....

Leloz
09-30-04, 12:21 AM
I have owned two 1970 Coupe Deville convertibles, beautiful cars! I restored both and sold them to move onto new projects. I plan to buy another soon. Look out for the common rust in the lower rocker panels, trunk, rear fender. Also be on the lookout for cars that have over six digit mileage, some people lie about mileage that way. I usually inspect the gas/brake pedal wear and interior for signs of that. Common things like a/c compressor, window switches, cruise control, and heater core might need attention, but they are fun and simple weekend projects.

Here is a picture of my first '70 Convertible:

http://members.cox.net/shaheenimport/caddy2.jpg

and here is my second, along with some other Caddies I had:

http://members.cox.net/shaheenimport/IMG_1347.JPG

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kustom70Coupe
11-01-04, 02:02 AM
Man, sick collection Leloz. You are all about those lacs. I have a '70 CDV Kustom. The shit is the more pimped out, macked out, badass car in my town. Nobody is looking at an M3 or Vette or anything else when I'm owning the lane and the block in my primered, shaved, whitewalled cruiser. It's not even my favorite caddy but the shit is killer. Do it.

davesdeville
11-01-04, 03:31 AM
and here is my second, along with some other Caddies I had:

http://members.cox.net/shaheenimport/IMG_1347.JPG

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I love that pic, the 75 or 76 shows its prowess over the modern Cads. And the modern ones are big compared to the average car.

Leloz
11-01-04, 07:16 AM
Thanks, I will try to take a picture of the current collection if I can get them all in one spot!