: CTS-V Speed sensor location

ohhiken
01-30-11, 04:36 PM
Hi, new to the board here. I just ordered a car to be made that will use the engine/6-speed out of a 2004-5? V-series. I'm in the process of collecting up lights, wheels, guages etc. to install when I receive the car. I purchased a guage set and LATER realized that I don't know how I'm going to get the speed signal. I have a 04' Z06 Vett with the sensor in the differential housing next to the transaxle. I assume that the V-series may have the same system in their differential also, but I have elected to use a S-10 live axle to save $3-3500 in designing a IRS for this little thing. I imagine the sensor would be of the VR type like the Vett.
Can anyone confirm where the sensor is? If it is in the trans, great, becuse I'll be using it. Thanks. Ken Hamilton............Oregon

CadzillaTN
01-30-11, 05:13 PM
I don't know how many speed sensors the V has, but there is one on the trans, near the back where the driveshaft connects. I took a pic but I'll have to find it. I only know this because mine has gone bad twice due to trans fluid leaking from it..

darkman
01-30-11, 06:10 PM
See attached.

ohhiken
01-31-11, 02:10 PM
Darkman thnk you so much. That PDF. you attached on the VSS looks to be the one. Thanks again.........Ken

V user
02-21-15, 04:55 PM
I can't see the PDF I am having a problem with my speedometer checked the fuse and replaced the Sensor on the transmission, it just quit and been trying to figure it out with out with out taking it to the dealer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kris

darkman
02-21-15, 05:18 PM
That circuit is reasonably simple, but trouble shooting is much easier with a GM Tech II scanner typically used by the dealer and other shops. The speed sensor in the transmission sends signals to the ECM, and the ECM sends signals to the instrument cluster that the cluster uses to calculate and indicate the speed. With a Tech II scanner you can tell whether is issue lies with circuit between the sensor and the ECM, the circuit between the ECM and the instrument cluster, or with one of the three components (sensor, ECM, Instrument cluster). The sensor in the transmission is about the only part you can throw at the problem. You can, of course check the wires and connectors.

V user
02-21-15, 09:58 PM
Thanks I was thinking I need a dealer to look at the ECM I need the flash for my oil temp also so I guess it's a trip to the dealer. I have been doing all my work because I can and don't want to pay someone for things I can do I had checked all connections but hit a roadblock.
It's a labor of love.
Thanks Darkman for the info.
Kris

darkman
02-21-15, 10:03 PM
Have you applied the grounding fix from the long thread on oil temps?

V user
02-22-15, 09:31 AM
Yes fixed all the grounds and to no avail getting frustrated going to try the flash on the instrument cluster next.

V user
02-25-15, 02:00 PM
Well after two hours at the dealer still no speedo he scanned the car no codes and get got signal to the gauges, made them move but nothing. He is calling the tech support line and is going to call me back.
Any help out there

V user
02-27-15, 09:45 AM
So update my friend hooked up to EFI LIVE and looks like I have a loss of signal from the pcm to the dash cluster! Now today's project is to pull the dash and check continuity of the circuit from the PCM . I need the reference on how to pull the dash cluster so I can get to the harness any help Darkman?

darkman
02-27-15, 01:55 PM
See attached.

V user
02-28-15, 10:55 AM
Well thanks Darkman I suspected that I wasn't getting signal from the ecm to the dash but pulled the dash and ecm and checked continuity and that wasn't it, so now looking for more answers. It's going to have to wait as I have to leave town for work for two weeks.
More web searching and phone calls I guess.