: Time to say hello and ask a question

mlwardle
01-30-11, 02:11 PM
My first post as a member and just want to start by saying what a great site this is. Thanks to all of you, I've been able to search the posts and find answers to why my trunk lid fills with water, how to fix a broken arm rest, etc.

I've owned my 05 CTS-V for about 4 months and I absolutely LOVE this car but a previous owner has replaced the shift knob with something that looks like a mini piston. Anybody know what I have here? It's simply awful to use with sharp edges and just ruins the look of the interior. I don't know if the whole shifter was replaced or just the knob. I've tried pulling on it assuming it's stock, I've tried twisting it and I've searched for a screw but to no avail. Any thoughts? It says "Redline" on the plastic cap on top. Any reco's to what I can replace it with if I do manage to free it?

Thanks,

Mark

heavymetals
01-30-11, 02:30 PM
I have a MOMO knob on mine.

Koooop
01-30-11, 03:08 PM
^^MOMO... Heavy has $ to burn! LOL

Pop the plastic top off the shift knob, remove the screw and pull the knob off.

If you still have the stock shiter, you've got to put it in the trash. Don't get the stock knob either, it's very bad. I'm not picking on my car, the shifter set up is just one of the items that's a must to upgrade.

Koooop
01-30-11, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.

PISNUOFF
01-30-11, 05:09 PM
^^^No offense, that's close to the ugliest shifter knob I've ever seen in a V. Right behind the UUC one that looks like a man's genetals.

...If you still have the stock shiter, you've got to put it in the trash.

I'll take the stock one.

mlwardle
01-30-11, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I tried to post a picture of the offending shift knob but it didn't work. Needless to say, I think my shifter wins the ugly contest.

PISNUOFF: I've read about your shifters and I'm interested in getting one but is there a visual way to tell if mine is stock? If it is, do you have a problem shipping to Canada?

Mark

PISNUOFF
01-30-11, 08:55 PM
When you get the knob off, take a picture of the stalk. I can tell from that or take a picture of the bottom of it from underneath the car. I have no issues shipping to Canada.

CadzillaTN
01-30-11, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I tried to post a picture of the offending shift knob but it didn't work. Needless to say, I think my shifter wins the ugly contest.

PISNUOFF: I've read about your shifters and I'm interested in getting one but is there a visual way to tell if mine is stock? If it is, do you have a problem shipping to Canada?

Mark

If it feels like you're shifting in a bowl of mashed potatoes, it's stock/unmodified.

Koooop
01-30-11, 09:49 PM
^^^No offense, that's close to the ugliest shifter knob I've ever seen in a V. Right behind the UUC one that looks like a man's genetals.

I'll take the stock one.

I'm sure Hurst and B & M would be crushed by your opinion of one of their classic set ups.

LOL

Hemi under glass, yup, looks like ass...

It's a Muscle car thing, you wouldn't understand.

PISNUOFF
01-30-11, 10:09 PM
Lol. I understand the hurst knob and it's place in muscle cars. I just don't think it looks right in a V.

Koooop
01-30-11, 11:52 PM
I'm a product of 1960's and 70's Muscle cars, it's why I bought the V. It's everything a Muscle car should be ('cept for that axle tramp). Push rods, manual, a bit heavy, V8, normally asperated, harsh ride and when you uncork it LOUD!

It just seemed right to give Hurst a tribute in there. And a good and ergonomically designed shift knob removes the noise of the B & M short shifter, plus the (occasional) difficulty shifting into 1st was reduced about 85%. It made the shifter work perfectly and silently once the POS stock knob got tossed.

It looks old school.

V-Guy
01-31-11, 10:38 AM
OP - I wasn't crazy about the stock knob, so I've just installed a TWM shift knob and I love it. Check out www.twmperformance.com. There are also a couple threads in the Appearance forum where you can see pics of a number of different knobs and shift boots, including my "Type R" stainless knob from TWM.

And welcome!!

Guy

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-31-11, 11:14 AM
I think the best shift knob and boot is the GTO one. You have to get it from Australia, here is the guys email cmilis@motorfield.com.au. This is a copy of the email he sent me,
Hi Jesse,
Yes I still have the 6 speed shifters in stock.
The price is $99.00ea aud & shipping is $44.00aud
Grand total is $143.00. aud
Cheers,
Chris Milis .

I think that is around $141 US. Here is the link with a pic installed in our car http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/55302-shift-knob-gm-should-have-used.html. It goes with our interior very nicely, and should of come from the factory like this imo. If you can post some pics of the one you have on now, we could probably help out a little more with the take off.

mlwardle
02-02-11, 03:53 PM
Thanks Chris, I really like the look of that shifter. My wife is an Aussie so I imagine she'd more willing to let me buy one like that. I still haven't got the darn shifter knob off yet but once I do I'll have a better idea of my options. I'll try again to attach a picture of the ugly thing.

Mark

CancerJCC
02-02-11, 04:55 PM
^ Yuck, I agree with you.

Chris0nllyn
02-02-11, 05:09 PM
Any answers to the water-logged trunk lid?

Mine is doing the same thing...doesn't go inside the car, but if I opebn the trunk I can hear water sloshing around in there.

06BlackonBlackCTSV
02-02-11, 06:46 PM
Thanks Chris, I really like the look of that shifter. My wife is an Aussie so I imagine she'd more willing to let me buy one like that. I still haven't got the darn shifter knob off yet but once I do I'll have a better idea of my options. I'll try again to attach a picture of the ugly thing.

Mark

Yeah that is ugly. No problem, but I'm Jesse, Chris is the guy selling the gto knob and boot. It turned out being $146 us dollars. Their should be some type of bolt in that whole on the left side of the shifter so you can loosen it up and take it off.

mlwardle
02-02-11, 07:36 PM
Oops, sorry about that Jesse. I've looked everywhere for a hidden bolt or screw but no success. I still have to try Koooop's suggestion and see if the little plastic button on top will pry off.

Chris0nllyn - I haven't fixed my trunk lid yet but if you search this site there are instructions. From what I understand, water seeps in around the back panel that holds the license plate. Just need to fix the seal.

Thanks everybody,

Mark

Koooop
02-02-11, 10:46 PM
My deck lid is sloshing as well.

I'm gonna warranty that...

CadzillaTN
02-02-11, 10:59 PM
I have the HOlden but I think mine is a bit different than everyone else's. It seems others' have much brighter, almost white stitching. Mine is darker which I think matches a bit better. Not to mention the genuine leather boot, which is always soft.. not crusty fake pleather!
Not sure if you can specify this when you order from Au, I got mine from another forum member a while back and I think it was a US dealer item. Definitely heavier than the stock knob, feels good in your hand. It's stubbier and fatter than the stocker. I would like an even heavier knob but I like the stock-look of this one. I looked into a GTO the other day and it's knob looked out of place! haha. I hadn't even seen one before I got mine.

get some:
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMG_1902.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMG_3902.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMG_3933.jpg

obviously you can make it look however you want with the camera, but in normal light settings it matches the seat and wheel stitching perfectly.

06BlackonBlackCTSV
02-02-11, 11:45 PM
Damn that is sweet, I do notice how all the other boots have a lighter stitching. I think the one I am getting is the lighter one, but we will see when it gets here. Did you have to cut your shifter to get it that low?

CadzillaTN
02-03-11, 01:03 AM
Yeah. I have a b&m, but the top of the stalk is designed the same as stock. You'll notice that it is notched, (not where the knob clips on, just below that). I cut it across right there. It was about 3/4 inch off. Some have gone 1 inch or more..

Koooop
02-03-11, 02:36 AM
Here it comes...

MikeV
02-03-11, 06:23 PM
When I ordered my GTO knob about 2 months ago the one with darker stitching was insanely more expensive than the one with lighter stitching (p/n PA-18 I believe). They must have a surplus on that style. Anyway I have the tan interior so it looks good.