Cadillac Owners Forum banner

why is over filling bad ?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
just wondeirng like i know ok if you over fill your oil in our N's it will burn back down just faster till it got to the right level

and if you overfill tranny fluid it doenst burn up at all

and coolant well that should never go low unless you have a leak

but why is it that we don't want to over fill the system what could happen from overfilling that would be bad ?

#2 ·
Overfill the engine oil all you want - a Northstar will happily leak oil and burn it down to the proper level in short order. Gross overfilling leads to oil foaming and aeration from being whipped by the crank counterweights - this leads to oil starvation and engine destruction.

Overfill the transmission and it will happily blow the excess out that vent pipe which is clipped to the throttle cable bracket on the engine. Your mess to clean up.

Overfill the coolant and it will automatically blow off the extra every time the engine warms up - until the system creates its normal cold reservoir airspace. More mess.

#3 ·
ah ok cool was thinking maybe that was the problem dad said he smelled coolant and it hink it was from a overfilled so i took about a qt or so out till i was not able to see it trhw the top of the res anymore too it out the purge line so hopfully that will just make the smell stop and all
if not then back to the shop she goes

#4 ·
Coolant should always be at the half of the tank (where the clear and black plastics meet). There is a big arrow that indicates the FULL COLD line. Checking coolant level when hot will either start boiling over or give you false reading. You should not be able to smell coolant unless you have a leak somewhere.

#5 ·
Coolant should always be at the half of the tank (where the clear and black plastics meet). There is a big arrow that indicates the FULL COLD line.
Pup, Here's the side of your coolant reservoir. Look hard - see the FULL COLD legend and arrow molded into the tank top ? The proper coolant level, cold, is right at the black/translucent plastic seam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.