: Silverstar Ultra vs PIAA Intense White

ceehow
01-29-11, 01:48 AM
One of my headlights blew and I need to get replacements. Like everyone else, I've noticed that the headlights SUCK on the Catera (at least the 97-99 models). Are the PIAA lights the brightest light bulbs or the Silverstar Ultra? Anyone have any experience with either of the two?

CateraMV6
01-29-11, 11:39 AM
Go with the Silvania, XtraVision, it has the same technology as the silver-star but without the light stealing blue filter on it... and produces same if not more lumens but its on a warmer scale...

The silverstar produces a more blue tone and our human eyes perceive that as a brighter light. In reality is the lumens on the road that make it possible to see.

ceehow
01-30-11, 01:59 AM
Go with the Silvania, XtraVision, it has the same technology as the silver-star but without the light stealing blue filter on it... and produces same if not more lumens but its on a warmer scale...

The silverstar produces a more blue tone and our human eyes perceive that as a brighter light. In reality is the lumens on the road that make it possible to see.

I have/had Silverstars in now and they dont seem bad. I thought the XtraVision wouldnt be as bright since they are lower down on the Silvania chart.

It doesnt seem like anyone in the Catera forum uses PIAA.

Submariner409
01-30-11, 04:26 AM
Saw this in passing..........I use the 4100K PIAA Intense Whites in the STS. Diamond-white light. There is NO blue in the beam. The truck has Silverstar Ultras in it and, quite frankly, there's no perceptible difference in light on the road. I live in a rural area, do a lot of night time country road running and have no complaints about "overdriving" the lights - high beams or low.

You might want to clean and polish your headlamp assemblies, if possible. Look at kits in www.autogeek.net

CateraMV6
01-30-11, 04:27 PM
or an HID kit on the DDM web site runs 30$ +shipping. and that is about where the silverstars cost but the 4300k HID kit H7 will be 3x brighter, and the lights on the catera being european I think have a decent pattern that wont blind others on the road..