: Transmission Fluid Change

libbysman
01-28-11, 11:25 PM
Greetings Everyone: Does anyone know how much trans fluid can be drained from the trans by dropping the two pans? I intend to change the filter, and want to know how much GM fluid to buy. My 3rd gear is slipping (but not totally worn out). Would it be benefitial for me to add Lucas Trans Repair? Regards, Brian

hgqguy
01-29-11, 03:03 PM
in my 2000 we only droped the one pan. i belive it was 8-10 quarts.. I dont recall excatly it was over a year ago.. If you ask the auto parts shop they can tell you.

libbysman
01-31-11, 10:30 PM
Thanks for your response hgqguy. That's a lot of fluid, but do know if the valve body drains as well. I though it would be wise to drop both pans to clean it as much as possible. Right now the oil is nice and clean. That's a good sign of course, but I have the full gasket set, so I might as well do it now. Regards, Brian

hgqguy
02-01-11, 06:41 AM
keep in mine there are 2 differant style pans. I ended up witht he wrong gasket and had to use permatex to create a gasket.

libbysman
02-02-11, 08:37 PM
That's good to know. I'll compare them before I do any wrenching. Thanks. Regards, Brian