: Catalytic Converter operating temp specs

markalmotors
01-28-11, 12:32 PM
Does anyone here know the operating temp spec for Catalytic Converter 2002 Eldorado ETC, Northstar ? I can't find it anywhere.

Submariner409
01-28-11, 01:09 PM
Does anyone here know the operating temp spec for Catalytic Converter 2002 Eldorado ETC, Northstar ? I can't find it anywhere.

No specs in the 2002 Seville manual, either.

Some Google work says that lightoff begins at about 500 degrees and normal running temps can be about 1200 - 1600 degrees, but actual temps vary all over the place due to engine rpm, load, fuel mixture, airflow over the cat, etc., etc.

Apparently our multipoint fuel injection systems are so clean-burning that at idle a cat can cool so much that inlet and outlet temps go to < 100 degrees difference.

markalmotors
01-28-11, 01:16 PM
Thank you ! Inlet temp is about 600, side of the cat is about 400 and outlet is just under 600. We are trying to rule out a bad cat as the cause of the engine problems and its seems that we have done that. This is idling while in the air on a lift with ambient temps in the shop at about 55 degrees. Does not appear to me that we have a clogged cat. I would think it would be much hotter and eventually stall the engine. Any comments? :crying2:

Submariner409
01-28-11, 02:28 PM
Thank you ! Inlet temp is about 600, side of the cat is about 400 and outlet is just under 600. We are trying to rule out a bad cat as the cause of the engine problems and its seems that we have done that. This is idling while in the air on a lift with ambient temps in the shop at about 55 degrees. Does not appear to me that we have a clogged cat. I would think it would be much hotter and eventually stall the engine. Any comments? :crying2:

Do you guys have a good OBD2 code reader, or did you pull the DTC's using the car's built-in code memory/scanner/reader ???

The sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes". Pull them all, note whether each is Current or History, go back to the sticky and open the link with "obd2" in the URL. That will take you to a Master Index where you click on the blue P,B,C, and U code names to get to lists of definitions.

A bad cat and/or sensors will set codes, trust me !!

When you get a break - what are this car's symptoms ????

Ranger
01-30-11, 12:07 AM

http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm