Cadillac Owners Forum banner

V in the snow

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ryand 
#1 ·
The V with Pirelli Sottozeros vs. a very long and steep gravel driveway covered in snow. The winner was the driveway in rounds 1-8. The addition of a couple hundred pounds of cinderblocks in the trunk pushed us to victory! I wish I had video of this it was pretty funny. Burnouts and gravel flying everywhere, sliding sideways almost into the ditch, big mufflerless V8 growling in the night waking the neighbors. I think I'll trade the blocks for sandbags this weekend and keep them for the winter, I never would have made it without the extra weight in the trunk.

#3 ·
Walmart has 'tubes' of sand (70# bag) for $5 each. I had RE960AS on my V that I thought would get me through the winter but I had to ditch them and just put Blizzak LM-22s on today. Night and day difference. I found an unplowed lot with about 5 inches of snow and had at it. I was amazed that I could easily get it moving in 1st and it would stop with barely kicking have ABS in. Awesome tire.

#9 ·
I had to buy the RE960AS tires when I was in a pinch and needed tires after my wheels got stolen. I got caught in the snow with the V (normally if there is even a chance of rain, let alone snow, it stays parked and I drive my Jeep) and they were dreadful. I could barely get it moving even on flat ground. They seem like they hold the road pretty well in the dry though, so it's not a total loss...and they do have a nice smooth ride.

#4 ·
Even though I still only have a "regular" CTS, I dont go anywhere near snow without snow tires and about 200lbs of sand in the trunk. I plan to do the same when I get my V.

#5 ·
O

Are you shopping yet? Or are you gonna wait and check out all the mods at our Indy meet in April?

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S tires right now - and they seem to do pretty well, altho they sometimes don't wanna make it up my driveway in 1st gear - they like 2nd a lot better.

#17 ·
Drive my V daily and even in the snow. I had BFG Super Sport A/S and they were much better than the Bridgestone Grid's I have on now. The BFG's were all around better tires in term of traction and grip in the dry and wet but the bridgestone's were a killer deal at COSTO and have a longer treadlife rating. Miles are what i am after. That being said...the photo shows one of our big snows and i was able to pull right through it with little to no issue.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.