: V in the snow

Castro
01-28-11, 11:06 AM
The V with Pirelli Sottozeros vs. a very long and steep gravel driveway covered in snow. The winner was the driveway in rounds 1-8. The addition of a couple hundred pounds of cinderblocks in the trunk pushed us to victory! I wish I had video of this it was pretty funny. Burnouts and gravel flying everywhere, sliding sideways almost into the ditch, big mufflerless V8 growling in the night waking the neighbors. I think I'll trade the blocks for sandbags this weekend and keep them for the winter, I never would have made it without the extra weight in the trunk.

odla
01-28-11, 12:57 PM
man that would have been great to get on video. lol

MikeV
01-28-11, 11:23 PM
Walmart has 'tubes' of sand (70# bag) for $5 each. I had RE960AS on my V that I thought would get me through the winter but I had to ditch them and just put Blizzak LM-22s on today. Night and day difference. I found an unplowed lot with about 5 inches of snow and had at it. I was amazed that I could easily get it moving in 1st and it would stop with barely kicking have ABS in. Awesome tire.

DDS rollin a CTS
01-29-11, 02:42 AM
Even though I still only have a "regular" CTS, I dont go anywhere near snow without snow tires and about 200lbs of sand in the trunk. I plan to do the same when I get my V.

V-Guy
01-29-11, 08:19 AM
O
Even though I still only have a "regular" CTS, I dont go anywhere near snow without snow tires and about 200lbs of sand in the trunk. I plan to do the same when I get my V.

Are you shopping yet? Or are you gonna wait and check out all the mods at our Indy meet in April?

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S tires right now - and they seem to do pretty well, altho they sometimes don't wanna make it up my driveway in 1st gear - they like 2nd a lot better.

repenttokyo
01-29-11, 11:54 AM
no problems at all with no ballast in the back and Blizzak LM25's.

JDB
01-29-11, 06:23 PM

2nd.

just need to watch clearance with the front bumper cover.

DDS rollin a CTS
01-29-11, 08:02 PM
Are you shopping yet? Or are you gonna wait and check out all the mods at our Indy meet in April?

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S tires right now - and they seem to do pretty well, altho they sometimes don't wanna make it up my driveway in 1st gear - they like 2nd a lot better.

I'm shopping right now. I found one car thats in really good condition and really low miles, but its not in the color I want (Thunder Grey), and another car thats a little older and has more miles than I want, but its the right color. Neither have the upgraded suspension and I forgot to ask about differentials when I called. So yeah, still searching for now.

As for the all-seasons youre using right now, you would be amazed at the difference between even a really good set of all seasons and actual snow tires on snow and ice. I tried several different a/s tires before going to the snows (Blizzaks). Yeah its an extra set of wheels and tires to store, but to me its worth it. Besides I use a different tires for autocross too so one more set isnt a big deal.

Yeah the ballast probably isnt absolutely necessary but it still helps.

mstrjon32
01-29-11, 11:56 PM
Walmart has 'tubes' of sand (70# bag) for $5 each. I had RE960AS on my V that I thought would get me through the winter but I had to ditch them and just put Blizzak LM-22s on today. Night and day difference. I found an unplowed lot with about 5 inches of snow and had at it. I was amazed that I could easily get it moving in 1st and it would stop with barely kicking have ABS in. Awesome tire.

I had to buy the RE960AS tires when I was in a pinch and needed tires after my wheels got stolen. I got caught in the snow with the V (normally if there is even a chance of rain, let alone snow, it stays parked and I drive my Jeep) and they were dreadful. I could barely get it moving even on flat ground. They seem like they hold the road pretty well in the dry though, so it's not a total loss...and they do have a nice smooth ride.

CadzillaTN
01-30-11, 12:08 AM
I got caught at work when it snowed midday, tried to get home and had a tough time. I was still spinning tires in 4th gear. At 10 mph.

Hamrhead
01-30-11, 05:36 PM

I've got the same tires and just found out last week that they are good for a few inches of snow. Any more and it gets dicey.

Our driveway is on a slight incline and I had a hell of a time getting the car up it in about 5 inches last week. 1st/2nd/3rd gears - didn't matter - The ass end just kept going sideways.

Now I'm looking for 1 or 2 extra wheels to mount a set of snow tires on the rear. I only really need one being as I've got a spare in the trunk and can use that.

MikeV
01-30-11, 09:27 PM
I had to buy the RE960AS tires when I was in a pinch and needed tires after my wheels got stolen. I got caught in the snow with the V (normally if there is even a chance of rain, let alone snow, it stays parked and I drive my Jeep) and they were dreadful. I could barely get it moving even on flat ground. They seem like they hold the road pretty well in the dry though, so it's not a total loss...and they do have a nice smooth ride.

They're actually pretty good in the dry. I had no problems pulling over 1g on some back roads. Pretty confident in the rain as well.

Now I'm looking for 1 or 2 extra wheels to mount a set of snow tires on the rear. I only really need one being as I've got a spare in the trunk and can use that.

I would really consider getting four winter tires and not mix & matching. Having them on the front is almost more important to me. The difference in turning and stopping on snow/ice vs. all season tires is incredible. Plus when it's dry out having such different compound tires on there front to rear just throws everything off.

repenttokyo
01-30-11, 10:47 PM
stopping is waaaaaay more important than accelerating, in the winter - and pretty much all the time ;)

mstrjon32
01-30-11, 11:21 PM
They're actually pretty good in the dry. I had no problems pulling over 1g on some back roads. Pretty confident in the rain as well.

True enough. I did pull 1.03g on a nice clear day through one of my favorite ramps. :)

DDS rollin a CTS
01-31-11, 07:43 AM

Others have already said it, but I will say it too, you really dont want to mix and match tires. Your rear tires get you going, but 90% of your braking and all your stearing are done by the fronts so you really should have snow tires up there too. They're really not too expensive, and mounted on an extra set of rims it shouldnt take you more than a half hour to swap them all out before the first big snow of the season.

Hamrhead
01-31-11, 06:59 PM
I would really consider getting four winter tires and not mix & matching. Having them on the front is almost more important to me. The difference in turning and stopping on snow/ice vs. all season tires is incredible. Plus when it's dry out having such different compound tires on there front to rear just throws everything off.

The front does just fine. Turning and stopping are no problem. I just need a little more 'dig' to get things moving in the deeper snow. I've had 4 snow tires on previous cars and I do agree - they do make a big difference. I just don't think I need them for my situation.

They would only be on the car for 2-3 months out of the year, then I'd put the other two all-season's back on the car.

If by chance the car felt 'off', I could always get two more snow tires for the front. Though I don't think it will be an issue.

ryand
02-03-11, 02:08 PM
Drive my V daily and even in the snow. I had BFG Super Sport A/S and they were much better than the Bridgestone Grid's I have on now. The BFG's were all around better tires in term of traction and grip in the dry and wet but the bridgestone's were a killer deal at COSTO and have a longer treadlife rating. Miles are what i am after. That being said...the photo shows one of our big snows and i was able to pull right through it with little to no issue.