: 90K 06, will dealer go for third clutch?????

Chubbilicious420
01-28-11, 01:10 AM
Bought it right 6 years ago. GM exec car 2500 miles for $41,000 certified. First clutch went out at 51,000. Car is going in for third radio replacement and replacement of trim around C pillar. Mentioned to the serv manager that the clutch is slipping like grandpa did after 90. Hoping dealer does not do me wrong, so far I have no complaints.
The V has been a great car, a true muscle car. I grew up on Buick Ts and GNs, still have a highly modded GN in the garage. My wife just got a 550 xi with the 4.4L twin turbo, car is an animal but the electric steering wheel removes all driver feed back. Its the best highway cruiser (in snow too) I have ever driven, but it sucks the Vs exhaust in the twisties. Long live the muscle car!
greg

Mystical_Ice
01-28-11, 02:59 AM
wow, i'm at 105,000 miles, and still on my original clutch - no slipping at all.

don't get me wrong, i drive the car the way it's meant to be driven, but still... i probably have a good 15-20,000 more miles before i'm going to need to replace it, if not more. the clutch still performs as if it were brand new.

you sure it's the clutch that's the issue here? ;)

rand49er
01-28-11, 05:51 AM
wow, i'm at 105,000 miles, and still on my original clutch - no slipping at all. ...I'm at 53k, and the clutch feels like it could easily go another 53k without any issues.

Did your first clutch start slipping, too? Could it be that you got bad clutches or is it possibly driving style?

kevm14
01-28-11, 09:27 AM
I'm going to say driving style even more confidently than the first two. These clutches have a pretty consistently good reputation even at above stock power levels.

perfect
01-28-11, 09:44 AM
Did I miss where you posted how the 2nd clutch went out? You said the first was at 51k miles....when was the 2nd installed?

Do you have any warranty left?

Andringa
01-28-11, 09:54 AM
I was confused too, but I think he is counting it as the third clutch in the car, not the third replacement clutch.

lollygagger8
01-28-11, 09:59 AM
The question really is, why would you let them put another stock clutch in? Either they are screwing up the install, or you are conan the clutch destroyer. I'd go aftermarket route if I had to keep getting clutches replaced. Get a Monster Stage 2, and see if the dealer will install it for you.

RippyPartsDept
01-28-11, 10:54 AM
i'm guessing the CPO warranty timeline hasn't expired and he's under 100k miles so this would be warranty - why pay for an aftermarket clutch when you can get another stock one for free?

cvettr/cts-v
01-28-11, 11:07 AM
I did not think clutches were warrantied at all or is that just left over assumption from the old days?

CancerJCC
01-28-11, 11:37 AM
I did not think clutches were warrantied at all or is that just left over assumption from the old days?

That was my understanding as well. A wear item similar to brake pads.

RippyPartsDept
01-28-11, 12:17 PM
oh yeah, i forgot about that ... i work in the part dept not service so warranty really isn't my thing but i would think that if it was wearing prematurely it could be warrantied unless the dealer thinks (or can prove) that it was abused

Mystical_Ice
01-28-11, 12:34 PM
i would think if the clutch was 'poorly installed', wouldn't he notice it right away? not after a couple thousand miles.

man i hate to say it, but i'm pretty sure it's your driving style :/ i've been frequenting these forums for almost 5 years now, and owned a V for almost 4, and never heard of anyone having consistent problems with the clutch :/

V-Guy
01-28-11, 12:53 PM
Mine is at 58k and going strong, but I have admit that I'm lusting after the KaTech LS9r pretty hard.

CadzillaTN
01-28-11, 02:00 PM
I think dealers will only replace a clutch if under factory warranty or perhaps preowned certified, or if it were deemed part of a failure of another part that is covered.. even under fac warranty it's a judgement call based on what they perceive as your driving style.

Where does everyone's stock clutch begin to grab, and can this measurement indicate wear? Mine has absolutely no warning grab, just bites at the very end of the pedal travel.. even when newly bled. I know how our clutches can have this characteristic normally, but mine seems to be excessive. Stock clutches last a long time yes, but that doesnt mean it isn't worn a good bit and we slowly compensate for it over time.

I have 60k or so on my stock clutch. I have a brand new stocker that I have not installed, partially because I have no clue if it will improve things, and also because I'd like to merry a lighter flywheel with it beforehand...

mstrjon32
01-28-11, 03:52 PM
My '06 with 36K now grabs right near the center of the travel. It's a nice feel, I'm very happy with it for a stock clutch.

My '99 Jeep with the original clutch at 213K grabs right at the very, very top, and it quite abruptly. I haven't been particularly easy on that clutch either, I'm more careful with the V.

Houdini
01-28-11, 07:59 PM
My 07 with 39k on stock clutch still grabs pretty close to floor... seems perfectly fine to me but I hate the dual mass clunkyness. Can't wait for ls7 setup or something better.

robertb
01-29-11, 05:14 PM
86K miles, over a dozen track days and still on first clutch. I have to agree with the other responders that there must be some user input to the need for a second replacement (third clutch) every 40-50k miles. I have been secretly waiting for my clutch to wear out so I can replace the fly wheel with a lighter unit at the same. the darn thing just keeps working perfectly. I do change the clutch (and the brake) fluid every time I do a track event.

Robert

racebyu
01-30-11, 08:26 PM
I am on my second clutch, first one had a recall as it was sticking on the floor at high rpm :ill:
new one on very cold winter morning statup is making a big whine sound that goes away
after 5 seconds or so.......:mad:

AG'S-V
01-31-11, 10:18 AM
66k on my original as well with a few track days.

Clunky as hell, but still functions perfectly...just bleed it every oil change and it stays happy.

tweeter81
01-31-11, 12:06 PM
I can't believe the dealer would install clutches under warranty, as they are considered a wearable item. But since you have been lucky with that in the past, I guess you might as well try again. But, there is no reason (other than bad installation or bad driving style) that you should be going through clutches that often. It sounds like you might benefit from a beefier, easier to use aftermarket clutch kit. I will second the recommendation on the Monster Stage 2 with 18 lb flywheel.

Chubbilicious420
02-01-11, 12:25 AM
GMPP till Sept of 2011. My wife says I am hard on cars, but I insist that I drive them how they were designed to be driven. I had a 91 s 10 with a 4.3L and a 5 sp manual I just gave it away with the orig clutch and 153,000 miles. My first diff failed at 51 and was replaced under warranty. Just got the car back, dealer said the clutch seemed fine. he fixed everything else. What a great car. Gets 23 to 24 mpg on the highway. Better than my wifes 8 sp 550xi with a tt 4.4L, and it has a set of balls ( hers gets 21 to 22 under similar conditions with an 8 sp auto)