: 2010 SRX 9420 miles battery died mechanic states I need to drive it each week????

Luxurylady
01-27-11, 10:19 PM
Ok , I hope I got your attention. Really he said this to me... I will start with what I think is wrong. I took the car in for recall and told them to check the side mirrors and back window defrosters. I didn't think they worked. Ten days later, got the car back. Had major electrical problems (that's what they said) had the seats out and had to replace the rear window. OK. after several days I went to put items in car that I had removed prior to them taking it. I found they had damaged my passenger door panel and floor side panel. I was livid. I took it to them showed all the things I was unhappy about grease spots everywhere etc.... they agreed to fix the damage admitting they probably did it. (Mechanic told me they wanted him to get it back to me and had rushed him excessively). I received the car back after 5 days. I told them I just wanted it fixed right I didn't care how long it took. Got it back on New Year's eve.
Now I have the car and its snowing here in Ohio, salt on the roads, I decide to drive my Pontiac Aztec purchased 10 years new as opposed to driving my new car in this kind of weather. It sat for about a week maybe a week and a half. Went to take my husband out for his birthday and tried remote start and it wouldn't work. Then I go outside and get in it. DEAD BATTERY! (it was cold..) They sent someone to jump it the next day. I called and told them I wanted them to check and make sure nothing electrical was pulling the battery down since I had this recent issue. They came got it. Called the next day said its ready . I went and picked it up I was in the area. The mechanic had written on the invoice to drive at least once a month . They had replaced the battery. MY Question??? Now why would that be??? I like I said.. have an Aztec that I replaced the battery twice in its entire life. The first one was in 2 year of life and the last one was this past fall. Anyone else have electrical issues??? What are your thoughts on this please. I have contacted cadillac and they first told me the owners manual states to unplug the negative on battery if not driving for period of time or storage... then they called back and are putting their experts on this I hope to hear from them tomorrow. Thanks for feedback or comments. I loved my caddy. I also had over 16 years ago Fleetwood black beautiful tufted seats. My SRX is my first new caddy, Platiumn Ice fwd 6 cyclinder

sube5186
01-27-11, 11:38 PM
The mechanic had written on the invoice to drive at least once a month.

It sat for about a week maybe a week and a half.

I don't know if your battery drain is related to the electrical problems you've encountered or not, but that's sound advice for every car. I would recommend driving it at least once a week. I never let my car sit idle for more than a few days. If nothing else, I at least start it and let the engine run for several minutes. Not driving it for several weeks can result in your tires getting permanent "flat" spots. I had surgery a few years ago and was unable to drive for a few months. I made sure my wife drove my car (not the SRX) at least once a week. In between that I started the engine and let it run probably every three days. Lead acid batteries discharge pretty quickly when not charged regularly either by your alternator or a trickle charger. Just having both negative and positive battery terminals connected causes drain, even if nothing is turned on.

Sube

CHICADDY
01-27-11, 11:59 PM
I too just had my battery replaced at 35000KM. Went to start it last week when it was very cold (-20C) and it was dead, although it started fine the night before. It was my first call to OnStar and I had a boost within 15 minutes. Took it for an oil change yesterday and got them to test the battery... they said it wouldn't hold a charge and replaced it. I had a headlight replaced a few months ago, it was totally fried... electrical problems? hmmmm.... still lovin' my SRX though.

C&C
01-28-11, 07:12 AM
Hopefully you just experienced a bad battery (seems that there are a relatively high battery failure with the factory Delcos). That being said, there are certain battery 'draws' inherent in all modern cars (ECM, theft protection, etc.) and those need to be addressed (though usually a battery that is in top shape and fully charged can remain viable for at least a month).

Short trips can lead to multiple starts and not enough time for the alternator to fully recharge a battery, if this is your case, the battery can quickly deteriorate and render itself useless. Whenever a battery voltage goes below 12.3 (or so) sulfation can occur, which slowly strangles the battery (by depositing sulfate on the battery plates) and irreversablly renders the battery capacity reduced.

Periodic running of the engine or using a Battery Tender (recharging the battery with a self limiting battery charger) will lengthen your battery's performance and longevity. A battery works better when used and stored at optimal voltage. One thing to remember, when running your engine to recharge the battery; it is important to run the engine long enough to get the oil to full operating temperature as this will keep the engine oil from accumulating combustion byproducts (i.e. water vapor, raw fuel, etc.) that occur at each startup and need to be burned off when the oil reaches running temperatures.

Luxurylady
01-28-11, 04:14 PM
I hope that is what it is. :) I appreciate your input (sounds reasonable) I guess I better remember my age and things aren't like they used to be ;). I will update this if this continues to be a wiring problem. I hope not.

stevec5375
01-28-11, 06:03 PM
Wonder if Cadillac will ever use this?

http://www.gearlog.com/2009/11/porsches_weight-saving_lithium.php

sube5186
01-28-11, 11:24 PM
Whenever a battery voltage goes below 12.3 (or so) sulfation can occur, which slowly strangles the battery (by depositing sulfate on the battery plates) and irreversibly renders the battery capacity reduced.

Luxurylady,

Just FYI, if you haven't discovered it yet there is a battery voltage display that is part of the Vehicle Information Menu in the Driver Information Center (DIC). This is the little blue screen within the speedometer. It's explained on page 4-32 of the owner's manual.

Sube

sube5186
01-28-11, 11:29 PM
Wonder if Cadillac will ever use this?

http://www.gearlog.com/2009/11/porsches_weight-saving_lithium.php

Steve, I thought you told me you weren't smoking crack!!! :bonkers:

Cadillac will get this alright.....when pigs fly.

Sube

stevec5375
01-29-11, 09:32 AM
Steve, I thought you told me you weren't smoking crack!!! :bonkers:

Cadillac will get this alright.....when pigs fly.

Sube

It was tongue-in-cheek (w/o the icon). I would never pay $1700 for a lithium ion battery in a car. Porsche or not! LOL!!

shrb
01-29-11, 07:08 PM
LuxuryLady, I have had this problem after about 3000 miles. I took a trip, 1200 miles and about 300 into it, the audio and navigation stopped working. The next moning when we got up, my battery was dead. My key FOB would not work and so I opened the door with the emergency key and tried to unlock the doors and they would not work. Short story.....the car was running off the alternator because the battery was messing up. Had the car towed because it would not even accept a jump start. When they got it to the dealership there was a short in the fuse box (or something like that) that connects to the battery. They gave me a new battery and check wires and I never had any problems with that again. If your voltage is low, take it in and ask them to check the connection or wires that go to the battery.
Good Luck.
S

PJ1520
02-04-11, 03:42 PM
One point to add. The cold cranking amps a battery in good condition can produce after sitting overnight in sub zero temperatures may be reduced by 50% or more. If you ever left a flashlight with new batteries in a car overnight in the same temperatures and then turned it on in the morning, you would see the effect the temperature has on the battery and hence the brightness of the bulb. Warmed up and/or working, the automotive battery regains its CCA.

"In the old days" if one did not garage their car and it was left out overnight, exposed to the (wind and temperature) elements, we used to take car batteries out of the cars at night when the temperatures dropped below zero, bring them in the house (to keep them warm), and then drop them back in the am so we could get the cars started in the am. Not the most convenient approach but effective, especially when one is driving a beater car or junker with an older battery as I was.

Garaging your car when the temperatures plummet makes a significant positive impact on the car battery's CCA.

PJ