: should I change timeing belt

courtmarshall
01-27-11, 08:49 PM
Hi again, just a few updates, thanks to everyone I changed multifunction module about a month ago and had no problems since, the smoking problem is still going and I believe it to be the breather so I need to clean that and replace the seals.

But to my current question... My 2000 has 78,000 miles now and I am beginning to get concered about the timing belt. I bought this car in 2008 with 63000 miles from a used car dealer and to my knowledge the belt hasn't been changed but I guess it is a small possibility it was changed. I'm wondering what all of your opinions are about whethere I should change it? I live in utah and don't know of any shops that will do it for cheap so I would expect that the job would cost a lot maybe 800-1000 dollars, unless any of you know a place. I could try to do it myself for maybe 200-300 with the cost of parts. The car itself is only worth 3000 around here, so a grand seems like a lot to put into it, but if that belt goes I'll sure be sorry. I'm just not sure what kind of quality the belt is, and if the money is worth the prevention. What do you all think?

Cheers,
J M

AL Cool Dates
01-28-11, 01:56 AM
If there is a Cadillac dealer near you, take to them and let them check the VIN number to see if there was any dealer work or recalls done on the car (i found out they did my HBV 3 times, replaced my oil cooler once, and did the replacement for the timing belt tensioner issue). I would still get the belt changed, its going to cost you no matter who you go to because its not an easy job and requires a special GM tool to do which a lot of mechanics don't have on hand, its just the matter of where you get the parts and how much the mechanic will charge you for labor.

courtmarshall
01-28-11, 12:46 PM
Okay, I'll look into it. What is the special tool it need, the alignment tool? Does any one know a place to get one?

AL Cool Dates
01-28-11, 01:42 PM
You can try here and rent one because I know buying it can be very expensive, some of the forum members also rent but you may have to look around.

http://www.ledfix.com/timingbelttoolrental.html

Hemi_Tom
01-28-11, 05:05 PM
Okay, I'll look into it. What is the special tool it need, the alignment tool? Does any one know a place to get one?

I also rent one for a reasonable price.

http://www.autotechunlimited.com/tool-rental/

hgqguy
01-28-11, 06:36 PM
the labor to change a timing belt and tentioners is 3.5 hrs. I JUST had mine done in rochester ny by a reputable shop.

the kit they bought was a gates kit. it was $309 and the tentioners were attached to the back plate.

The mech said the timing belt has marking to be sure it is installed with correct timing.

the cadillac dealer will want $800 for the timing kit.

I would call around to shops. I checked with MANY shops befor I found the one I use. I even had a horrible cadillac mech try to quote me $1500 to do the job.. and he had already done it on his own catera.
People will try to rip you off.

While you are at is change the waterpump, my lifetime pump was $80

So the job should be $400 plus labor, at most $350 and thats @ $100 an hr.

The belts are recomended at 40K from gates. the problem you may have is... your bely may be 7 yrs old by now.. time will cause dryrot.. My belt was very cracked..

just in case you dont know.. it is the same engine as in the saab 9-5 and saturn l300 v6 so a saab mech and a saturn mechanic should be able to do the job.

I had several shops refuse... but when it was done.. My bill was $700 for all

It is good preventative maintnance.. and you car has low miles.. just look at it as 4 months worth of payments... if it lasts longer (and it will) its money in your pocket!.

Good luck.

mdksupra
01-31-11, 06:49 PM
Thanks Hgqguy this is great info!

hgqguy
01-31-11, 07:44 PM
Your welcome mdksupra