: Low beam lights are pitiful

tc2010
01-27-11, 06:30 PM
Hello Guys and Gals,
Last years car shopping tour ended when my bride declared, "This is the one!"
After all, it was her car. We are pleased with most every aspect of the vehicle, except the low beam headlights. Should have driven it at night as I thought they were HIDs. Oh yeah, it's a 2010 luxury edition.

So I've searched the forum on HID replacement and had no luck. Has anyone done this as there are a number of adds (actually they are everywhere) on the forum......Or, are there other options (HIR)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

GMJim
01-27-11, 07:20 PM
oops

TheCaptain
01-27-11, 07:21 PM
Replace the stock lowbeam (9005? or 7?) with HID bulbs. It is already a projector housing, so you needent worry about pissing off other drivers.

Or, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, and adjust the lowbeams up a little higher!

farinacci
01-27-11, 09:39 PM
Im curious too!

Razorecko
01-28-11, 04:26 PM
yep. As long as you are using a projector housing you can just throw in a generic hid setup in there and the cutoff will still be proper

tc2010
01-28-11, 09:48 PM
HUMBLE PIE....Superior deductive reasoning was applied this afternoon on discovering one of the lights was not burning...I was able to conclude this could have an effect on the poor lighting situation..:hmm: So at 4PM, with dealership closing, it was off to the parts house. Might as well go Silverstar. No luck, light still out!.....No known fuse (even though the book says there is one). So, 'ol one eye will see the dealer Monday.....:helpless:

Tom

bobarry
01-28-11, 11:15 PM
HUMBLE PIE....Superior deductive reasoning was applied this afternoon on discovering one of the lights was not burning...I was able to conclude this could have an effect on the poor lighting situation..:hmm: So at 4PM, with dealership closing, it was off to the parts house. Might as well go Silverstar. No luck, light still out!.....No known fuse (even though the book says there is one). So, 'ol one eye will see the dealer Monday.....:helpless:

Question on the HIDs: On this system the H11 bulb receives low voltage when on DRL and higher when on as low beam.......Could an HID system operate under these parameters?

Tom

I thought the HIDs required an additional ballast transformer to provide a higher voltage? I see them on eBay for about $160 and was thinking of getting some for my Saturn Sky.

Hopefully the experts will answer this for me. In the meantime, I simply scoot down in the seat so I can see better below the beam cutoff line. :)

Bo

TheCaptain
01-29-11, 10:59 AM
Question on the HIDs: On this system the H11 bulb receives low voltage when on DRL and higher when on as low beam.......Could an HID system operate under these parameters?

Tom

If i'm correct, the "base" lights use the high beam H11's as DRL's, and then turn on the lowbeams for "full" headlights? So if that is correct, you could put HIDs in the lowbeams with no side effects...
At least on my friends' Lux model, that's how her lights worked...

bwclemons
01-29-11, 06:15 PM
Ok,
I've been working on this for sometime now. I tried some 55wt. HID's from VVME and the lights will flicker and then stop. I then removed the 55wt balasts with a set of 35wt. balasts from another car they worked ok. However, sometimes one of the lights would not ignite. The lights will definitely not work when the DRL's come on so you will have to manually turn on the lights when you want them. That means no auto feature. I have just purchased the fog light accessary kit from GM and will be putting them on next week or so. I have purchased some Fault code eliminaters( capacitors)
for the HID's and this will smooth out the pulsing dc volts that seem to be coming from the car so the lights will work properly. There may be enough capacitance to run the DRL's also. We will see. I do know that the DRL's run on just about 12 vts. but it has a pulse to it. Every light related thing runs thru the body control module and has to be programed thru techlink. When I get it all sorted out I will post everything in an DIY for everyone as well as how to do the fog light kit. I do want to thank GMjim for all his help to get me info on how to remove the front bumper and all the questions I have asked him related to the lights. I know engineers will not give out information to people who want to modify their products. Some info I had find out thru wiring diagrams from my dealer.
As this car is my wife's also, I can't be around for all problems with the lights so I can't leave the HID's in until they work perfectly.

drjdan
01-29-11, 10:19 PM
Since the car is under warranty, why don't you just go to the dealer and get it fixed.

Cooper10
01-30-11, 07:52 AM
I made driving at night enjoyable again with these simple additions on my SRX
Luxury Collection.

Sylvania SilverStar H11 for the low beams

Blazer 4 inch rectangular driving lights with H3 halogen bulbs that I purchased at Walmart for $19- This was a very simple installation. See attached photo

On a dark interstate the road lights up very bright.