: Canceled OnStar

Ponyman
01-27-11, 11:05 AM
Canceled our OnStar service last night. Told them to let it run out on the one year free anniversary date. Had to listen to the long speech or horrors about what could happen if it wasn't active, but they didn't offer any better deals, so I told them to let it lapse. Have never used it or the integrated phone, or the directions and connections. Guess I will just relay on my cell phone and the navigation system.

miwise
01-27-11, 11:08 AM
Onstar is nice with the safety and security package. Had the directions and connections on my 02 grand prix. It was also nice but gps is just as good IMHO. :)

dkozloski
01-27-11, 11:27 AM
I don't want my wife and son laying there in the mud, the blood, and the goo with a dead OnStar because I was a cheapskate. It's worth it to me for the peace of mind.

smiley47
01-27-11, 12:01 PM
I didn't need the "Turn by Turn" feature which added quite a bit to the annual cost but I did negotiate the "Safe & Sound" feature for $148.92/yr. That covers us for theft and any emergency we may encounter.

wag 42
01-27-11, 12:06 PM
I guess for some it's peace of mind, but I feel it's overpriced for what it offers. I've been driving for 30 years, and have only had onstar on our last car (2009) and the SRX. I know a few other auto manufactures offer something compared to onstar, but for the most part, the majority of people don't have it, and have no use for it.

Ponyman
01-27-11, 12:19 PM
Had they offered the 148 dollar package, I might have left that turned on, but they made no attemp to entice me to keep it active. Other than relate all the horror stories that could happen without it. I have not had it active on my 07 Avalanche, or 09 HHr, and haven't missed it. I was told by a GM rep that if you are taking an extended trip, you can have it activated for a month or whatever you need for that occasion.

dkozloski
01-27-11, 03:08 PM
Had they offered the 148 dollar package, I might have left that turned on, but they made no attemp to entice me to keep it active. Other than relate all the horror stories that could happen without it. I have not had it active on my 07 Avalanche, or 09 HHr, and haven't missed it. I was told by a GM rep that if you are taking an extended trip, you can have it activated for a month or whatever you need for that occasion.

That makes reasonable sense. Around here in extreme weather a simple running into the ditch can turn life threatening in about twenty minutes.

tc2010
01-27-11, 05:57 PM
My bride takes several 350 mi trips to visit the grandkids each year. I'll keep it on, although it's good to know you can drop the parts not needed! Thanks

2010sled
01-28-11, 04:49 PM
onstar saved a freind 2 times so far, its a small price to pay for my safety. and the security i know the cops can find it any where in the world. $138 talk oo a manager and drop diretions

stevebaker
01-28-11, 10:37 PM
I renewed the safe&sound but lapsed the other stuff...

sube5186
01-28-11, 11:08 PM
Drop the Directions & Connections and go with just the Safe & Sound plan. Directions & Connections was popular when most cars didn't have a Nav system. Now, it's redundant. Why do I need to pay extra just to have a "person" speak the directions instead of a computerized voice? This is for people who aren't tech savvy enough to use the Nav. For folks like that, it's easier to just push a button and have a person tell them where to turn and when. NEVER pay full price for OnStar. They routinely give you $50 off the D & C plan. All you have to do is ask.

The main reason I keep OnStar is for the Stolen Vehicle Assistance and Automatic Crash Response. I don't want to find myself seriously injured in my overturned car wishing I'd paid a few dollars a month extra to keep my OnStar turned on. Think you can just dial 911 from your cell phone? Well, what happens when your cell phone is damaged in the crash or unreachable or you're unconscious? And if my car is ever stolen I'd prefer the police find it before it's reduced to a bare shell of a body sitting on milk crates. The Monthly Diagnostic Email Reports are nice too. They're very detailed if you bother to click all of the links.

Your insurance co. gives you a discount for having OnStar. Normally, it's already applied to your policy, but I'd suggest you check to confirm this. I called mine and they said they already knew I had OnStar by the VIN and had already given me the discount. Apparently, they don't ever check again to make sure you maintain active service. With this discount applied, the D & C plan ends up costing about $10 a month. Isn't your life worth .33 cents a day? That's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Watch these videos:

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/Planspricing

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/acr

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/ovd

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/sva

Sube

drjdan
01-29-11, 01:02 AM
I have had it for serval years on multiply Cadillacs that I have had. But have use it with my 2011 SRX much more for the destination down load direct to the navigation system. It is just as if you had stopped the car and enter it your self. Besides having the address ready for you to push go to start route or to add a waypoint, the phone number is on the screen with the locaton (if business) so can make an easy call if need to. In the past I have not used the directions much since it did not drop into nav system.

dctex99
01-29-11, 01:25 AM
Cancelled ours last week,they said they would reduce it to 12.95,,passed....don't need it...

Ponyman
01-30-11, 08:56 PM
Ok, so we will continue with OnStar. Wife kind of wanted to keep it on the SRX. She called and asked for a beter rate for Safe and Sound. First they offered, 18.95, then 12.95 a month. Wife told them I had seen 148 on the Cadillac board. They came down to 148.92 as year for Safe and sound, so she told them ok. Kind of like XM/sirrius, you have to cancel or threaten to cancel to get the good rate. I hav that to look forward to in March. guess I will be talking to the XM cancellation dept. Oh, well, the money I save is worth it.