: what would you do...( Potential New owner question)

krazycranes
01-27-11, 10:22 AM
A mechanic friend has an 06 CTS-V in his shop with a blown engine, that he has put a mechanics lien on. Owner has disappeared leaving him with parts bill and took his other car fixed and didn't pay for that either.
I figured that I will have top end rebuilt (using stock parts) and bottom end freshened up. As long as engine is out of car will also do motor mounts, tranny mount and rear diff mount (currently leaning towards CS, but will look at UUC), short throw shifter (modified stock w/ uuc bushings), clutch (LS7 or??) and water pump. Is there anything else you would do while engine is out?
Car will be used as a daily driver, has about 70k on it. It is black, thinking of having stock wheels powder coated a gunmetal/anthracite (have a little curb rash).
Thanks in advance for suggestions,
Kevin

Houdini
01-27-11, 11:11 AM
Sounds like you have a great plan already and I think you'll be really happy with those choices.

Claimslngr
01-27-11, 11:17 AM
"Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

You to can do this! Just substitute CTS-V for Steve Austin.:thumbsup:

V-Guy
01-27-11, 11:19 AM
"Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

You to can do this! Just substitute CTS-V for Steve Austin.:thumbsup:

We have the technology.

Andringa
01-27-11, 12:29 PM
I always thought that Mechanic's liens were a complicated and drawn out process which ended with the property going up for public auction. I'm curious if it would really be any cheaper for you to buy this V than to get one that is in one piece and running?

CancerJCC
01-27-11, 04:31 PM
I always thought that Mechanic's liens were a complicated and drawn out process which ended with the property going up for public auction. I'm curious if it would really be any cheaper for you to buy this V than to get one that is in one piece and running?

My limited understanding is the same as yours.

Also OP I would be darn sure that the car isn't going to be picked up before doing any work on it. Make certain every i is dotted and t is crossed before you sink any time/money in it.

krazycranes
01-27-11, 04:40 PM
If I could find a car all together in same condition, for around $15K I would definitely go for it. Advantage is engine will be freshly rebuilt and some common problem areas taken care of. I am not sure of exact process, but I now have a lawyer checking on whether I can make a direct purchase or Sheriffs auction purchase.

heavymetals
01-27-11, 05:02 PM

They require a court visit (usually) but the car belongs to the leinholder.

If there is a loan outstanding, things might get a little complicated, but then it becomes a salvage.

They don't go to auction unless nobody wants it.

Leinholders come first.

(A friend was a mechanic and I saw how it worked here in Calif.)

Houdini
01-27-11, 05:15 PM
Even if there is a loan, can't the mechanic charge a nice daily storage fee? Then the bank would have to pay that if they want the car back. Most of the time they just say keep it. A friend owns a tow yard and auto repair shop and he gets the most awesome vehicles that way.... it is really unbelievable.

Stepside
01-27-11, 10:26 PM
:contract::coffee: He who holds the title is the owner, until the court judge :hammer: says different.

I would fish in a new pond . . and avoid . . :shtf:

One that is preferably . . Clean. :vulcan: