: V2 Shifter Knob

mcline86
01-26-11, 07:15 PM
Anyone replace the shifter knob with one of the 2009 or newer shifter knobs on the stock shifter? mines an 07 with just the grey top, id like to replace the stock knob with one of the new V knobs that have the V emblem on it.....anyone know it a new V knob will fit on our stock shifters?

I will be installing my custom shifter from Brian but as far as i know that shifter is still the same as factory up top.......Just want that nicer looking V knob....

EdmundGTP
01-26-11, 07:37 PM
really?

mcline86
01-26-11, 08:05 PM
yeah REALLY. sorry just read that 5 page V2 shifter knob thread. anyone have a part number for the leather V2 knob?

whisler151
01-26-11, 08:06 PM
Yeah, tons of us have. It fits fine.

mcline86
01-26-11, 08:09 PM
i love when people reply with useless responses, how bout 'ya that was already discussed check out "xxxx" thread on V2 shifter knobs' cool thanks bro. i love helpfull people like you thanks buddy

mcline86
01-26-11, 08:11 PM
okay cool. any specific part number or will any year 09 or newer fit? my buddy works at caddy and asked me what the part number was and i wasnt sure he asked if it was #25961839........? idk

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 10:36 PM
i love when people reply with useless responses, how bout 'ya that was already discussed check out "xxxx" thread on V2 shifter knobs' cool thanks bro. i love helpfull people like you thanks buddy

First off wrong section. Second off don't get combative when your noob arse comes in here posting stupid threads without reading around a little bit. If you simply read the faq's and poked around the three subsections we have I am quite confident you would have found something.

But to be productive for YOU check out this thread I made on searching as the sites built in is quite crappy. Searching (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/217095-how-search-quickly-efficiently.html)

thebigjimsho
01-26-11, 11:10 PM
Contact Luke at Lindsay Cadillac Parts and order one. Yes it fits. Here is the one I got for my '04 with a custom Redline Goods shift boot. Sorry, no pics with it in the car...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/4482063/371798541.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/4482063/371798486.jpg

Zo6PwRd
01-26-11, 11:11 PM
This site blows for user friendliness, i HATE it thoroughly and just cause you can deal with how horrible it is doesnt mean it isnt bad. If this site was more like the layout of ls1tech i would be a supporting member but im not willing to pay a penny to use this site.

Koooop
01-27-11, 12:36 AM
Using search is no fun. Asking questions and encouraging interaction is what makes the forum an entertaining place to visit.

Supporting the forum makes this place possible. Man up.

odla
01-27-11, 07:03 AM
Hey thebigjimsho the second picture looks a little flacid. lol

To the op can you post up a price on it when you get one? thanks

whisler151
01-27-11, 10:06 AM

Sorry, try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Acadillacforums.com+Shift+Knob+v2

Your next question: "Hey, how do I contact this Luke guy from Lindsay Cadillac you mentioned?"

Try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+site%3Acadillacforums.com+luke+lindsay+cadilla c

thebigjimsho
01-27-11, 10:44 AM
This site blows for user friendliness, i HATE it thoroughly and just cause you can deal with how horrible it is doesnt mean it isnt bad. If this site was more like the layout of ls1tech i would be a supporting member but im not willing to pay a penny to use this site.
Then why are you still here?

odla
01-27-11, 10:59 AM
your wit and attitude keeps me here BigJim lol.

Aurora40
01-27-11, 01:27 PM
First off wrong section. Second off don't get combative when your noob arse comes in here posting stupid threads without reading around a little bit. If you simply read the faq's and poked around the three subsections we have I am quite confident you would have found something.

But to be productive for YOU check out this thread I made on searching as the sites built in is quite crappy. Searching (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/217095-how-search-quickly-efficiently.html)

Since the knob topic has run the course, just wanted to reply to this.

It's cool you wrote up a thing on searching. But there are a few problems:

- The built in search sucks, in fact "sucks" doesn't even come close
- Your thread showed how to use an external search engine (Google) to search
- Your thread isn't stickied (or if it is, it's not in an obvious place)

Thus, anyone who wasn't already aware of your thread would be unlikely to ever find it by searching. Which also means it would be unlikely that they'd quickly and efficiently search the information they need about shift knobs or whatever. It's not surprising that there are a lot of uninformed/noobish posts here, due to the general crumminess of the built-in search tool.

Berating people for such postings doesn't seem particularly productive.

CancerJCC
01-27-11, 03:16 PM
Since the knob topic has run the course, just wanted to reply to this.

It's cool you wrote up a thing on searching. But there are a few problems:

- The built in search sucks, in fact "sucks" doesn't even come close
- Your thread showed how to use an external search engine (Google) to search
- Your thread isn't stickied (or if it is, it's not in an obvious place)

Thus, anyone who wasn't already aware of your thread would be unlikely to ever find it by searching. Which also means it would be unlikely that they'd quickly and efficiently search the information they need about shift knobs or whatever. It's not surprising that there are a lot of uninformed/noobish posts here, due to the general crumminess of the built-in search tool.

Berating people for such postings doesn't seem particularly productive.

I 100% agree with you that it seems foolish to not have that thread stickied. :) Perhaps that is the reason to have created it in the first place but the powers that be have not seen it that way, yet. HEAVY!!!

I should clarify that I absolutely was not chastising the OP for not searching. I fully agree that our built in search is pathetic and thus why I linked him to my thread. I was chastising him for creating a thread that if he had "searched" or more clearly conveyed as "perused" around the site he would have certainly came across the one in the appearance section.

I enjoy new members that introduce themselves and then READ on their own for a while before asking questions that have been answered before. This is what I did when I got here and I believe others should do the same. We only have three subsections for crying out loud, I think looking through at least the first few pages before starting a new thread is acceptable.

Perhaps the culture of a forum that I am used to is not that of what you are. New members read first and as they gain experience then they are able to contribute.

Of course I would have let this whole thing slide if not for the fact that the OP called out one of our members about not spoon feeding him the answer. If left un-corrected it would be conveyed to the OP that this forum and its members cultivates that particular culture and I don't believe we do.

mcline86
01-27-11, 04:24 PM
First off id like to appolagize for the war started. I had read that V2 shift knob thread awhile back and did not realize that it was such a disccused topic and couldnt remember if any modifications were done to make it work and what shifter it was or whatever, so i made a thread.

I will most deff. be using the search by google for now on because searching on this forum makes me want to kill. so thank you CancerJCC for that helpfull tip.

But what im still not finding is for all the other people that ARENT going threw Lyndsey Cadillac for the shift knob, like myself. what year knob do you order? any year between 2009-2011?? or does someone that has already bought one have the part number so it can be easier for people to order them?

once again sorry to make such a war here

mcline86
01-27-11, 04:32 PM
for the guy that asked me to state the price when i order mine from Lyndsey Cadillac, he lists his prices in the thread for both leather and suede knobs.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/182246-where-buy-v2-leather-shift-knob.html

V-Guy
01-27-11, 04:38 PM
It's not surprising that there are a lot of uninformed/noobish posts here.

"Noobish" is my new favorite word (only narrowly surpassing "stealership")!!

Guy <-- Noobish. :-)

Aurora40
01-27-11, 05:58 PM
Perhaps the culture of a forum that I am used to is not that of what you are. New members read first and as they gain experience then they are able to contribute.

What I'm used to is new people not generally coming to contribute right off the bat, but rather coming to consume. If stuff is easy to find, they may or may not post anything/much. If it's not, you get basic questions. I think most people look around a little, then post if they don't find it. How much and how effectively they look around varies. But the harder stuff is to find, the more totally basic posts there will be.

What I'd also like to say I'm used to, is people who are sick of the noob posts just staying out. What's the point in telling someone their noob post is noobish? If it pisses you off, just move on to a more interesting thread. The people who can post up an answer on how to find it will be the ones who are just moving from consumer to contributor, and need to "pay it back" so to speak. Plus they aren't sick of these basic threads because they haven't been around as long to see as many of them.

One day they will move on to crotchety forum elder, and the noobs they helped out will start answering the noob questions.

CancerJCC
01-27-11, 09:19 PM
First off id like to appolagize for the war started. I had read that V2 shift knob thread awhile back and did not realize that it was such a disccused topic and couldnt remember if any modifications were done to make it work and what shifter it was or whatever, so i made a thread.

I will most deff. be using the search by google for now on because searching on this forum makes me want to kill. so thank you CancerJCC for that helpfull tip.

But what im still not finding is for all the other people that ARENT going threw Lyndsey Cadillac for the shift knob, like myself. what year knob do you order? any year between 2009-2011?? or does someone that has already bought one have the part number so it can be easier for people to order them?

Absolutely no harm done and I am glad that you are able to utilize Google for searching vice the horrid built in search.

Good luck on your endeavors, I am no help in the shift knob arena as I rock the stocker with slight side to side play! (On the list for someday)

What I'm used to is new people not generally coming to contribute right off the bat, but rather coming to consume. If stuff is easy to find, they may or may not post anything/much. If it's not, you get basic questions. I think most people look around a little, then post if they don't find it. How much and how effectively they look around varies. But the harder stuff is to find, the more totally basic posts there will be.

What I'd also like to say I'm used to, is people who are sick of the noob posts just staying out. What's the point in telling someone their noob post is noobish? If it pisses you off, just move on to a more interesting thread. The people who can post up an answer on how to find it will be the ones who are just moving from consumer to contributor, and need to "pay it back" so to speak. Plus they aren't sick of these basic threads because they haven't been around as long to see as many of them.

One day they will move on to crotchety forum elder, and the noobs they helped out will start answering the noob questions.

Very well said and I truly mean that. I think the slightly combative nature the OP first took is what annoyed me at first. Instead of finding the back button I retorted.

whisler151
01-27-11, 10:20 PM
Far too many people do not search. Just because search sucks on this site does not mean that Google sucks. Whenever I have a questions (car related or not) I type my question into Google. Chances are, I'm not the first person in the world to have this question.

If you Google your question and seven threads pop up from the same site, chances are you should not start a new thread on that topic.

Zo6PwRd
01-27-11, 11:15 PM
Then why are you still here?

Just to annoy your cocky a**. Your always such a smartass and think your shit dont stink. I try to learn and contribute and always have to read the know it all posts of half the board members who think cause they drive a cadillac they are above everyone else.

Koooop
01-27-11, 11:46 PM
TBJS actually offered some helpful information a new guy that asked a great question.

You're just being a Dick, you aren't a supporter, you complain about the site and the members. Go away.

Would someone drop a ban on this Zo6PwRd guy?

thebigjimsho
01-28-11, 12:48 AM
Just to annoy your cocky a**. Your always such a smartass and think your shit dont stink. I try to learn and contribute and always have to read the know it all posts of half the board members who think cause they drive a cadillac they are above everyone else.
No, you're wrong. I asked a simple question. I have seen time and time again people claim to hate the place and how it's so awful and that they are leaving instead of just leaving. Then, they come back and just try to blend in and hope that people don't realize that they wanted to come back here.

I ate at Five Guys tonight. My shit most certainly stinks.

tweeter81
01-28-11, 01:11 PM

I think that you can order any year V2 knob and it will fit the stock CTS-V1 shift knob (just an educated guess that GM wouldn't have a reason to change the shape or diameter of the stock shifter lever from one year to the next), or in my case i know it also fits the UUC shortshifter shift lever as well. The knob comes in regular leather and in the alcantara-like ultra-suede stuff. I prefer the regular leather. As for the part number, most of us don't know them because we just go through Luke and he takes care of all that for us and gives us the best prices too.

Maybe you already know this, but you have to stretch out the leather around the base of the V2 knob, remove the actual knob, and re-install it on the stock (V1) shifter boot, which is attached to the square plastic trim plate.

Castro
01-28-11, 03:46 PM
I find this forum to be the least combative of all the one's I've been a member of which is great. Noobs ask answered questions, it's just the way it is. I can't even search by my own name effectively on here, it only seems to show my really old sts posts, so I don't fault the searching difficulty. The google search is a great idea so thanks for the instructions.

One thing the OP should be aware of with the V2 knob (also an answered question but I'm bored at work and this always happens) is that once it's on, it's on. VERY difficult to remove once you pop it on there so make sure you have the boot you want before making the switch. Just get it from Luke he knows what you need and you'll spend too much time looking elsewhere to save any money his price is good.

MikeV
01-28-11, 11:36 PM
Before pulling the trigger on the V2 knob I highly suggest checking out the Holden/Commodore/GTO boot and knob. There's a thread that I bumped up not too long ago I think in the Performance section. $145 shipped from Australia. The knob is much heavier than the V1/V2 knob and the boot is very high quality leather that matches the V1 interior perfectly with light colored stitching. As someone said in that post I referenced, it looks stocker than stock and the heavier knob along with PISNUOFF shifter is pure joy. I can shift it with my pinky if I wanted.

EDIT: here's the post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/164146-where-buy-how-install-gto-holden.html

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-29-11, 01:14 PM
Before pulling the trigger on the V2 knob I highly suggest checking out the Holden/Commodore/GTO boot and knob. There's a thread that I bumped up not too long ago I think in the Performance section. $145 shipped from Australia. The knob is much heavier than the V1/V2 knob and the boot is very high quality leather that matches the V1 interior perfectly with light colored stitching. As someone said in that post I referenced, it looks stocker than stock and the heavier knob along with PISNUOFF shifter is pure joy. I can shift it with my pinky if I wanted.

EDIT: here's the post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/164146-where-buy-how-install-gto-holden.html

That GTO boot and knob looks sweet, I am trying to buy one now. Think they look better than the stock V1 or V2 knob.

mcline86
01-29-11, 05:49 PM
That GTO knob/boot are a nice upgrade from the stock V1 combo. i just really like the leather V2 with the V logo on top to match the floormats i have. I would like to upgrade my shifter boot too though... my stock one is starting to look/feel kinda worn out.

Koooop
01-30-11, 12:22 AM
The stock shift knob is such a piece of crap, I can't believe they put it in the car. It transmits noise, it has no weight, it's loose, they break, they pull of in your hand. ANYTHING IS BETTER!

I bought a Hurst T handle shifter, milled out the thread, sleeved it, put a set screw dead center of the front where you can't see it and put it on. It's solid, no wiggle, no vibration, no noise and my entire palm is pushing the T bar knob into gear so the "hard to put it in 1st" thing is rare. What an improvement. And it looks cool.