: Swapping PCM

Harry Yarnell
01-26-11, 10:44 AM
It is my understanding that you can't just swap a PCM (ECM) from one OB2 Northstar to another. Assuming compatible years. So how do you do that?

Submariner409
01-26-11, 05:21 PM
It is my understanding that you can't just swap a PCM (ECM) from one OB2 Northstar to another. Assuming compatible years. So how do you do that?

Take the "new" PCM to a Cadillac dealer and have it programmed to the existing vehicle's VIN. They're not "hot swappable" and you can't drop a 9 PCM into a Y car.

If you had a 2002 SLS you could NOT simply drop in my STS PCM.

ponyboyt
01-26-11, 11:58 PM
so much for sticking my Z-rated PCM into my 99 when Jake is done with it....

Edit: wait... what exactly gets programmed? The key? i can live with doing that myself. Stereo? I have the bose head unit from the Z-rated car.... Can it hurt anything to try?

mhamilton
01-27-11, 01:24 PM
so much for sticking my Z-rated PCM into my 99 when Jake is done with it....

Edit: wait... what exactly gets programmed? The key? i can live with doing that myself. Stereo? I have the bose head unit from the Z-rated car.... Can it hurt anything to try?

PCM has nothing to do with the key or Bose. It has to have the appropriate timing, fuel, shift points, idle, etc etc for the engine.

Just have your engine's PCM programming updated with the Z-rated specs.

ponyboyt
01-27-11, 04:12 PM
/headscratch

i swapped a 97 with a 97 before, had aftermarket stereo. Had to re-program the key. Ive heard you need to get the VIN to change the ABS assembly too, but ive also done that without any programming.