: 2006 CTS-V, Does this car have a spare tire???

mmayzak
01-25-11, 04:21 PM
I was just asking the dealer to send me a picture of the 'build options' that my car has - I usually find this in the trunk or some place... well, she didn't find it, but she did find the label that talked about the tires.

There was no entry in the spare column - being this likely came with run flat tires, and now it doesn't have them... will this car have a spare??

Beyond that, where is this deal of install options located so I can research all the goodies I am getting on this copy?

Mike in Oklahoma
SOON to have a 2006, Infrared, Cashmere (1 of 83)!

Castro
01-25-11, 04:45 PM
No spare

CancerJCC
01-25-11, 04:55 PM
No spare but a lot of us get a full size rim and tire for spare.

Only option was the sunroof and very few came without it.

Start here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/177219-faq-how-diy-common-questions.html

And here: http://cadillacfaq.com/

mmayzak
01-25-11, 05:48 PM
Hense the 'run flat' tires.... OHHH.

mstrjon32
01-25-11, 08:35 PM
There is no compact spare either, you'll need to get a full-size rim. I took the nasty runflats off my car, and now have a full-size spare, with the jack and wrench, and the mounting hardware installed. The cover installs most of the way, but pops up a bit. I found that to be pretty ugly, so I got a trunk mat to cover it up with.

rand49er
01-25-11, 10:15 PM
Get a can of Fix-A-Flat if you can't latch onto a spare by the time you drive it home. Luke has a spare tire kit which includes everything you need ... except a spare tire.

DDS rollin a CTS
01-25-11, 11:40 PM
So if theres no spare tire, whats in the space that holds the spare in the regular cts's?

CadzillaTN
01-26-11, 12:35 AM
So if theres no spare tire, whats in the space that holds the spare in the regular cts's?

A plastic bin with a metal bar, or the worlds first rear mounted turbo.

rand49er
01-26-11, 06:09 AM
A plastic bin with a metal bar, or the worlds first rear mounted turbo.:histeric:

mmayzak
01-26-11, 07:05 AM
I don't mind the runflats - I HATE changing tires! BTW, there seem to be a lot of options for these bad boys out there - which is the quietest/longest lasting?? I KNOW the day will come when I will have to change them ($1,200+ later)... but I want to be sure I am getting something that will last!

16 days...

AAIIIC
01-26-11, 10:43 AM
Run flats are heavier, cost more (significantly more), and (in my experience on my CTS-V) have poorer ride quality due to the stiff internal structure. The difference in cost between non-run flats and run flats will more than pay for the jack and a (used) full-size spare. Not to mention there are way more tire options if you don't restrict yourself to just looking at run flats.

Unless you get lots and LOTS of flat tires, I just can't see any reason to put run flats on the car.

Pat Olsen

Andringa
01-26-11, 11:05 AM
Search the forum, there are quite a few discussions of tires on here, it is pretty much impossible to just blindly suggest a tire for you as it depends greatly on what your intended use and expectations are for the tire.

"but I want to be sure I am getting something that will last!"
The first thing to realize is that if your main concern is how long a tire will last you will have to make compromises on performance. Most people don't make it to 20k on a Max Performance summer tire.

V-Guy
01-26-11, 12:04 PM

I can state with confidence that the plastic bin in that space will hold a case and a half of Bud Light - ice included. (You gotta love a car with a built-in beer cooler.)

cvettr/cts-v
01-26-11, 12:17 PM
your build specs you requested can be found under the cover in the trunk where the spare would go if there were one which there is not on v series. you can also go to www.compnine.com I beleive it is, and enter your vin. And it will tell you all options and # of units made with said rpo code.

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 07:09 PM
I can state with confidence that the plastic bin in that space will hold a case and a half of Bud Light - ice included. (You gotta love a car with a built-in beer cooler.)

I am liking you more and more each day! :) Of course I have a spare and jack in there now but that is wonderful thinking.

V-Guy
01-26-11, 08:13 PM
I am liking you more and more each day! :) Of course I have a spare and jack in there now but that is wonderful thinking.

Hey, the respect is mutual - especially after seeing your Valentine1 install!!!

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 10:04 PM
Hey, the respect is mutual - especially after seeing your Valentine1 install!!!

Ah shucks! haha thanks.

Aurora40
01-27-11, 06:07 PM
Beyond that, where is this deal of install options located so I can research all the goodies I am getting on this copy?

I believe the basic options besides the colors were Sunroof (or sunroof delete on later year cars), RS-A vs F1 tires, and the dealer-installed FG2 "Nurburgring" suspension. Unless you care about stuff like emissions overrides or block heaters and such.

You can see the ordering guides by year here: http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html

trhs75
01-27-11, 11:23 PM
Depending on what kind of spare tire you have on your rim (thick rub strip, etc.), the cover may or may not sit flat over it. I'm guessing that metal bar I took out was for impact absorption in a crash.

Chubbilicious420
01-28-11, 01:15 AM
I am a helpless doctor and figured out how to get a full size spare in in 30 minutes. Took a spur of the moment road trip to the Big Easy and did not want to go without. Easy job, just need an extra rim and a little common sense. Run flats are for wussys. Stiff side wall has poor ride and worse lauch charisteristics. Screw RFs

DDS rollin a CTS
01-29-11, 08:08 PM
What are you guys using for a jack? Did you just go somewhere like ebay and get one from a regular CTS, or are you using something else? Same question for the spare tire. Are you using an extra full-sized wheel/tire or is there a donut available?

trhs75
01-29-11, 08:51 PM
No 6-hole donut is available for the V. Regular CTS jack assembly will work, and the styrofoam case fits loosely in the back of the larger V rim. I got mine from one of those online discount GM parts places, but a salvage yard is a great idea, too. I bought a fifth regular rim on eBay. In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to keep one of my snow tires in the trunk as a spare.

Aurora40
01-30-11, 10:42 AM
What are you guys using for a jack? Did you just go somewhere like ebay and get one from a regular CTS, or are you using something else? Same question for the spare tire. Are you using an extra full-sized wheel/tire or is there a donut available?

I'm using a Mille Miglia V wheel with a 225/50-18 mounted. It barely fits. For the jack, I happened to have a jack kit from the 2nd gen CTS. I bought the kit to use the spare wheel and tire on a Corvette, and had the jack and such just sitting around (needed an adapter for the wrench, as the 2nd gen uses 22mm lug nuts). But if I didn't have that, I believe Lindsay Cadillac could hook you up with the jack and wrench.

AAIIIC
01-30-11, 09:29 PM
the styrofoam case fits loosely in the back of the larger V rim.
"Styrofoam case"? What did you get your jack kit from? All the ones I've seen (from the 1st gen CTS) are just a shallow plastic bucket kinda thing with the scissor jack laid across it. The thing in the upper right:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72079&stc=1&d=1296440919

Chubbilicious420
01-30-11, 09:53 PM

I took a jack out of a modded 99 riviera I sold, fit fine. As far as the rim I run the aftermarket GM rim so I used one of four extra runs and a full size tire. Easy fit. Put a blancket under it so as to not scratch the rim. After market rims looks great with cross drilled rotors, wihich I have been running with hawk pads for 60K miles. The mods never stop. I plan on a sleeper cam after my 100 K warranty is up.

Aurora40
01-31-11, 08:47 AM
"Styrofoam case"? What did you get your jack kit from? All the ones I've seen (from the 1st gen CTS) are just a shallow plastic bucket kinda thing with the scissor jack laid across it. The thing in the upper right:

FWIW, the CTS gen 2 kit I bought had the jack and such stored in the foam. It looked like it would fit perfectly at the bottom of the trunk well, though I honestly didn't try it. It would have raised the wheel up another inch or more, making it not useful for me.

trhs75
01-31-11, 11:55 PM
AAIIIC: My mistake. My V has a plastic tray/case thing from the regular CTS, not styrofoam. I have another car with styrofoam in there. The tray is designed for a 16" or 17" donut, I think, so the fit is a little loose. The jack stuff tightens into place securely, though.