: PLease Help ...Very Frustrated!

newcat1
01-25-11, 10:35 AM
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this site and I hope someone can help. We purchased a 2000 cadillac Catera for our daughter in July 2010. She's had some recent problems. Within the last month about once a week a Flashing "S" light comes up and it goes into limp mode. She shuts off the car and when she restarts it, its fine. Transmission seems fine and has no problem shifting. We had the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor replaced. Thinking it could be the TCM module? Please help with any suggestions.
Thanks!!

AL Cool Dates
01-25-11, 01:00 PM
Try having the fluid level checked and do you have any idea when the fluid and filter was changed last for the tranny?

newcat1
01-25-11, 03:07 PM
One mechanic checked the fluid before we had problems and said it looked a little dark. He said to wait until we needed a lube oil and filter which would be in a few hundred miles, but my husband is going to have the transmission fluid and filter changed this weekend. I hope this helps. I drove the car today and it shifts beautifully ( no noises, slipping, banging etc.) Thanks for responding.

waco-brian
01-25-11, 05:09 PM
i had the same problem a year ago changed fluid and filter and no plblem since. i have heard other times that it did not fix it

newcat1
01-25-11, 08:39 PM
I'm hoping that it fixes our problem. Thanks for the info.

TitanCTS
01-31-11, 02:39 PM
Have the car scanned for faults, If it shows that it's a transmission range circuit fault then the problem lies with the Neutral safety switch $105 from autozone with lifetime warranty. This happened to me and it's been 3 years since I've replaced it and it's still working ok.

mdksupra
01-31-11, 06:42 PM
Good luck. Keep us posted. I had this same problem as well as many others on this forum. Seems there are several possible causes for this.

newcat1
02-01-11, 09:39 PM
Thanks to all who responded. We had the transmission serviced yesterday (fluids, filter and gaskets). I will let you know if we see the light come back on in the future.

Greg_Zeboray
02-01-11, 11:54 PM
As I said in another thread, I had the same problem. Becuase I still had a warranty I took it to a Cadillac delearship and they (along with the warranty company) said it needed a new transmission and they replaced it. I still subscribe to that determination becuase I doubt the warranty compny woiuld have okay'd it otherside. Didn't cost me anything so I didn't really question anything. I hope for your sake that it doesn't take that.

kaustein
02-07-11, 08:20 PM
Sadly you are going to find out that the car is a piece of crap. Now I know that some will get angry, but the fact is the car is just awful! GM, when they had the money, should have 'fessed up and bought the cars back. I have had so many things go wrong with the car, that I honestly can't remember. Even the Caddy dealer refers to it as a Craptera! Make sure that your daughter belongs to the AAA because she will need it.

My wife drives a 2000 and not a spot of surface rust. I meticulously take care of the car. But the mechanical and electrical issues go on and on, however the radio is perfect, but not made by GM. Personally I wish the car would catch on fire! I have insurance for that. Now the roof opens up for no apparent reason. The CEL doesn't come on anymore because the light is burned out! And the list goes on and on! My 2001 Toyota, one issue with the CEL, and I replaced it myself. I had a Ford Ranger with 167,000 on it and the CEL never came on!

But the guys here are a plethora if useful info!

AHazzardToAll
02-08-11, 12:01 AM
Even the Caddy dealer refers to it as a Craptera!

There's your first problem, stop taking it to the caddy dealer or anyone who is afraid of the car. The idiots at my stealership still think the engine(pan) only holds 5qts of oil,....... :/

hgqguy
02-08-11, 09:04 PM
If only owners would take the car to mechanics that new what they were doing.. The caddi dealer wanted $1200 for timig belt and tentioners.. the guy I took it to .. did that and waterpump rptate tires, fill rear differancial.. total.. $700!!!

Gotta find yourself a great mechanic with Knowledge of the catera.. Or Craptera if you dont fix the problems! Mine has never once left he stranded.. always got me home.

And remember.. the newest one is 10 yrs old!! thats an OLD car.