: windshield washer problem

doctormstein1
01-25-11, 09:53 AM
Just wanted to find out if others have the problem that when it is very cold outside the windshield washers sprayers freeze and don't work. When the temperature goes up it works again. Thanks

GMJim
01-25-11, 11:16 AM
The last week, lows have been around 0F to -5F. Highs about 10F. No freezing here.
I use RainX solvent. Never had a freeze problem. Good to -25F.
Check your solvent. May be elcheapo. Jim

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Washer_Fluids/De-Icer.aspx

Ponyman
01-25-11, 11:45 AM
Yep, in really cold weather that cheap blue stuff will freeze up. Buy the kind, rain-x, prestone, etc with anit-freeze in it.

doctormstein1
01-25-11, 03:24 PM
I once asked the service girl about replacing the windshield wiper fluid and she said that their is a separate canister of liquid that is ONLY replaced when the oil is changed. Is this wrong. I did not think that the solution could be replaced

PJ1520
01-25-11, 03:57 PM
Are all three inoperative? The two on the hood and the one for the rear window?

The (blue) solution in the tank can be emptied by simply disconnecting the hose from the reservoir and letting it run out on the ground. But you don't even need to do that. If you can pull the car into a garage that maintains temperatures above 32 degrees overnight and let the frozen clog thaw, you can merely press the squirt button (highly technical term) and run the tank down yourself.

What that woman at the repair facility was talking about made no sense to me. She must have misunderstood your question or has an overactive imagination.

Somewhere on this FirstGen forum someone had posted a similar problem to yours. When they checked the bottle of the blue winshield washer fluid they had purchased they discovered they were sold a "Southern Climate" mixture that had no de-ice portion of the formula in it. I didn't know different formulas existed, but I guess they do. Maybe your local store that sold you the stuff received the wrong stuff.

PJ

Ponyman
01-25-11, 04:21 PM
Service girl is wrong. I have topped off the reservoir on my wife's car several times.

sube5186
01-25-11, 04:56 PM
The service girl said that their is a separate canister of liquid that is ONLY replaced when the oil is changed.

WTF!

It is customary that they'll top off WW fluid when you get an oil change, but that's not the only time it CAN be refilled.

Sube