Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My V in a ditch =(

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  CadzillaTN 
#1 ·
Driving home a few hrs ago, and as i turn onto my street, a truck is coming toward me, but halfway in my lane. So i swerve to the right to avoid him. Well as i swerve back onto my lane (he keeps driving), the back tires had lost traction, and so i swerve to the left, and the rear end keeps traveling. I do a 270, and plough through a (full) ditch, into a fence.

Here's the funny part. My neighborhood is rural - there's hardly ever a car that drives through it, so when it's raining or the roads are wet i usually turn stability control and T/C off, just so i can spin out a little bit (always stay in my lane, just let the back tires slide a foot or so). Well it's a good thing i had it off, because if i'd tried the above manuever with T/C and Stability control on, as soon as my wheels spun, T/C would have put me in limp mode, and that truck would have hit me head on (i think).

So at least i'm thankful for small mercies...

Anyway, the back is scratched a little (the fence post is down), but the scratches are on the back right of the bumper. Also when the tow truck driver pulled me out he cracked the front bumper (sigh), but the bumper was dug into the dirt, so i really don't see how else he could have lifted me out anyway.

I'm just praying when I call insurance tomorrow to file the claim that my premium isn't going to go way up. I mean i could have hit the truck head on and done $15,000 to my car and god knows how much to his. And that's physical injury aside. Hopefully they realize that and cut me a break :(

I don't think it would cost more than $1500 to fix outright anyway.

Thoughts?

Still... =(

See less See more
#3 ·
Not long ago I had a cracked bumper (from a neighbor not having a leash on their dog who ran out in front of me). It cost me $700 to get it fixed correctly and while I thought that was kinda high, I was super happy with the work the shop did and the repair/paint is guaranteed for life. I'd say you can get it all done for 1500 or less no problem.

I never got any money out of the douche neighbor..lol. I should have called the cops immediately. Lesson learned.

#5 ·
Good to hear youre ok, but too bad about the car. I'm sure you'll have it back in proper order in no time.

#13 ·
Bet it sucked having wet feet throughout the ordeal after you jumped into that huge puddle!

As for the back bumper I would say repairing what you have would be way more cost efficient vice replacing it completely.

#19 ·
and yes, waiting 45min for the twotruck with soaking wet pants and shoes wasn't fun either.

and then my battery died too. nothing more embarassing than having to get towed out of a ditch, and then have to get jump started...
Ouch. I still say it will be repairable vs. new for the price but I am not body guy.

Pretty soon this will be in the past and a funny story, don't worry about it.

#16 ·
Too bad you dont have the truck motor. You could have just backed right out of the ditch. lol

Glad you are ok.

#20 ·
That sucks!

I wouldn't read too much into the claims that premiums rise after small incidents. With my ins, I can have 2 claims under $750 a yr that don't even register, and the threshold for a claim to even change the monthly rate is 3k or so. I specifically asked if I had a few claims per year for a few grand each, how much would my 90 dollar monthly rate go up, and I was told less than 10 bucks.

Driving records and credit scores have more to do with rate fluctuation and risk of getting dropped than multiple damage claims.

On a sidenote,
I almost put mine in a ditch on the way hm too but I was driving in a straight line- by myself. We had flakes coming down the size of ritz crackers for an hour which caused the streets to get dicey. I work in an area with alot of big trucks that groove the roads real bad..With my steering rack already whacked, the management of grooves is already tough. When they fill with slush it's a white knuckle affair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.