: Parking Brake Adjustment

teer1998
01-25-11, 01:05 AM
I just ordered new rotors and brake pads for my 2004 CTS-V. I thought as long as I was in there I would adjust the parking brake so I don't have to push it through the floor to get the thing set {even then it won't hold}.

I've searched around the forum as best I could and haven't come across anything, but I'm a forum idiot.

The dealership said the brake wasn't adjustable. I'm calling BS on that, anyone have a thread or experience that could help me out?

Thanks!
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wCphbDD3iAmwD3hdZ0PpFhkU6Lk65bJS7bIsdFbPHPU?feat=d irectlink

teer1998
01-25-11, 01:10 AM
I'm the black Cadillac, second from the left. Sunroof cracked cause its hot in Texas.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Y6r1TRMcQ7Q/TT5Y0GqsVHI/AAAAAAAAA3U/sxmiKTUSJWU/s640/P6140380.JPG

Andringa
01-25-11, 01:01 PM
James from Lindsay Cadillac posted the adjustment procedure in this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/118664-parking-brake-adjust.html

CadzillaTN
01-25-11, 10:24 PM
I just pump mine like a jackrabbit until it bites.

BirdmanTamu
01-26-11, 04:13 PM
If you're only making an adjustment, it's not that bad.

You'll want to inspect the shoes while you're there to make sure you have some pad left. When I inspected mine they crumbled on one side and were gone on the other.

Had to replace the whole assembly and that wasn't as easy. You'll need to notch a flat head to get the spring set up.

Now when I push my PB down it stays, and so does the car.

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 04:47 PM
You'll need to notch a flat head to get the spring set up.

They make a brake adjustment tool for that also.

areohhhbee
01-30-11, 12:13 AM
my V's e brake doesnt bite either, thanks for the help

areohhhbee
01-30-11, 12:23 AM
it doesnt seem to have anything on adjustment, just how to replace the pads, and even that doesnt seem to help in most cases... is there any hope?

CancerJCC
01-30-11, 11:59 AM
it doesnt seem to have anything on adjustment, just how to replace the pads, and even that doesnt seem to help in most cases... is there any hope?

I kind of wonder. Most of these threads guys either have a useful one or not. Unfortunately mine is the latter and It won't hold the car from rolling out of my garage! (Very little incline). Perhaps one day I'll swap shoes and see.

BirdmanTamu
01-30-11, 12:33 PM

Not sure what "it" you're referring to, but post 3 in this thread has a link to another thread which has the adjustment procedure in it. And if you read the entire thread it talks about exactly where the adjuster is.

Also, replacing the pads and setting it up properly is exactly what cured my problem.

CancerJCC
01-30-11, 10:14 PM
Also, replacing the pads and setting it up properly is exactly what cured my problem.

Nice to hear this, perhaps I will order some new shoes and try them out.

teer1998
02-14-11, 02:54 AM
Thanks, I should have read this before starting my project tonight. I replaced the park brake and still having issues. I will follow the instructions on the linked thread and see if I can get the issue corrected. The thread said 1 hour labor, but it was considerably more at first crack. Getting that spring set is a major PIA. I'm sure there is some super secret ninja tool that would have made the project easy, but if you're a novice to intermediate mechanic plan for 2 hours or more to replace the park brake.

Will let you know how it goes and post some pics of the project once I am happy with everything.

New drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk Performance Ceramic pads {hoping this will reduce the brake dust}.

odla
05-19-14, 01:11 AM
Is it two hours per side or for both sides?

darkman
05-19-14, 07:56 AM
Well the original source (in the thread cross referenced in post 3) reported 1 hour with the caveat that unless you have performed the task before it would likely take you two hours. The actual flat-rate allowance is 0.8 hours to adjust both sides. The allowance, to replace both sets of parking-brake shoes is 2.4 hours.

odla
05-19-14, 08:51 AM
Great. Thanks for the clarification.