: Driving Test Soon

FLSurf420
09-27-04, 07:14 PM
Ok on Oct 15, 2004 I will be 17, a year after I got my permit. What I want to know is, what are some good tips I should know, and how to reduce stress and nervousness? I will be getting it on a Friday, so i will have a nice long weekend to look forward to. I took 3 driving lessons back in may to reduce insurance but i think they have worn off. Im still looking for a small car, because my friends volvo 240 might not be fixed by then. I know to keep both hands at 10 and 2 and not lean on the door. But for the times i could have driven I didn't. I may have developed some bad habits by now. I would like to take another driving lesson by the test, to get rid of these. How long should you stop at a sign? How fast should you go during the test? Thanks for all your help.

illumina
09-27-04, 07:26 PM
driving test eh? i have a few tips for you...

tips:

speed (the inspector will be too occupied with his life's safety to care how you are driving),
peel-out (this will loosen up your nerves),
DO NOT use turning signals when making a turn (no one cares where your car is turning to),
slam on your brakes (people behind will learn not to tailgate you after this),
don't wear your seatbelt (on some states, it's only a secondary law, so don't let those commie-red rules get to you!),
don't utilize your mirrors (if others don't get out of your way, then who's fault is it?),
do the "gangsta lean" (if you sit like this, the inspector will be affraid of being shot, therefore he will let you pass so he does'nt get killed).

i think that about covers it.

tru504187211
09-27-04, 07:53 PM
It's mostly common sense...so just do, don't think too much.

brougham
09-27-04, 08:15 PM
DOn't you have a drivers handbook that you can get? That should tell you everything you have to know.

majax
09-27-04, 08:27 PM
Get and review your states driving manual you get them at the DMV office for free. Always signal Always, even out of parking spaces, they wat you to signal. Look over your shoulder changing lanes and stop the car always before stop lines then you can procede forward "safety stop" and check for traffic. On a driving test they mark you down for exceding the speed limit even 1mph counts you down(their excuse is that its the speed limit not speed minimum). Oh, stop for pedestrians in the street(thats the law). Oh also they are going to make you demonstrate that you know some certian functions or parts of the automobile. So know how to turn on the defrosters and lights and have good tire tred etc. Dont have the radio on they dont want that and try not to make much small talk witht he instructor.

Finally drive smoothly.

ShadowLvr400
09-27-04, 08:54 PM
Oh, major thing, make sure your car is in good shape. Check fuses, make sure your horn works, lights, etc. I almost got autofailed on a test because a fuse went and my horn wouldn't work. Also, if the insane woman giving the test says turnabout, verify that this in weirdo lingo means execute a 3 point turn. She failed me because I pulled a U-turn in a 2 lane road. Without using the shoulders at all. That little Volvo was nice.

Ralph
09-27-04, 09:02 PM
Make sure you shoulder-check and don't rely on the mirrors. Always make a complete stop. Yield to the right at an uncontrolled intersection. Oh, and if someone cuts you off in traffic, remain calm, and leave the .357 magnum IN THE GLOVEBOX! :lildevil: ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
09-27-04, 11:37 PM
drive it like you stoled it !

majax
09-28-04, 01:47 AM
and you're kidnaping the tester.

T_Dogg8
09-28-04, 08:50 AM
just relax and drive. if you're a good driver, they'll know that and pass you. if you're not, then you need to practice.

carguy16
09-28-04, 08:38 PM
Im going to be in this same boat too! What do I do? I cant find my drivers ed book, and really cant be bothered to go pick another one up at the drivers license office.

I drive great: Signals, blind spots, mirrors, backing out is fine, backing straight, 3 point turn, quick control stop, pulling into a parking spot, I think that should cover it.

The only big problem: WRITTEN TEST!!! I dont think I can remember all the signs! I could probably look online and see, I just dont want to do it over again. I live in FL.

Night Wolf
09-29-04, 12:27 AM
lol, in NY it was a joke... seriously.... I learned to drive, and took my road test in my mothers '89 Brougham....

I reset the trip odometer... the whole test was honestly under 2 miles... about 6minutes total...

he told me to parallel park, I ended up further in the road then I started, then he told me to go up to the next car, I did... I was about 2.5 feet from the curb, he opened the door and said, see how far the curb is? now pretend the curb is a car, and do what you normally would.... I did... I was a few inches fomr the curb this time, he was like, that's better....

Then he had me go on this service road to an abonded factory to do a 3-point turn.... the '89 is just shy of being 20 feet long... this road was seriosuly about 25 feet wide... needless to say, the guy was impressed...

after it was done, I said to my mother (who was in the back) that I now know why American drivers are so bad... it was so easy.... 3 days later I got a ticket for 62 in a 45.... eh... there is a discliacmer though :)

just do simple things, complete stop, blinker, turn head etc... it should be easy....

DopeStar 156
09-29-04, 02:09 AM
To be honest, a small car killed me on my test. I learned to do everything on my Lincoln Mark VII, then took the test with my dad's Mustang and couldn't park it because I expected loads of trunk space back there that just wasn't there. My opinion, use your DeVille if it's all registered and insured. Or whatever car you learned to drive on. If you're familiar with your car during the test, you'll be 20 times more relaxed. And just don't think about the instructor. Best o' luck.

slk230mb
09-29-04, 03:14 AM
lol, in NY it was a joke... seriously....

It really is a joke in NY. I was in the car for maybe 5 minutes, the guy had me 3-point turn into a parallel park, then turn right once and I was done. The hardest part was waiting the week from the road test to my 17th birthday...Good Luck.

T_Dogg8
09-29-04, 09:13 AM
Im going to be in this same boat too! What do I do? I cant find my drivers ed book, and really cant be bothered to go pick another one up at the drivers license office.

I drive great: Signals, blind spots, mirrors, backing out is fine, backing straight, 3 point turn, quick control stop, pulling into a parking spot, I think that should cover it.

The only big problem: WRITTEN TEST!!! I dont think I can remember all the signs! I could probably look online and see, I just dont want to do it over again. I live in FL.
if you can't be bothered to pick up a book and can't remember road signs......do you really think you should be driving?? :hmm:

SupaFly
09-29-04, 11:05 AM
My cousin failed 3 times. The fourth time I told her not to bring her brand new C230, but instead she brought this OLD Volvo station wagon. When I got out of the driver seat I had to turn off the car. When she got in the thing did not start up and she started crying. It was very embarrassing. After a few minutes, it started up again and she did pass that day.

Caddy Man
09-29-04, 11:51 AM
i acutally failed parallel parking in my 91 Towncar, but since the car was so huge, she let me pass anyways after a few attempts. only thing i got crituqued on was not lookin in my mirrors as much as i should.

T_Dogg8
09-29-04, 12:15 PM
i didn't parrallel park on my test. i screwed it up, so the instructor took me on a longer ride and then passed me. my dad was the toughest on me, so i was a pretty good driver when i took my test. i guess he could tell that.

slk230mb
09-29-04, 04:43 PM
my dad was the toughest on me, so i was a pretty good driver when i took my test.

I went driving with my dad once for the very same reason. He still finds his spots to point out my better spots... :madtalkin

Ralph
09-29-04, 04:58 PM
I passed the first time, but barely! We were only allowed to lost 9 points and if you lost 10 you FAIL! I lost a couple of points for waiting too long at an intersection before proceeding, even when it was safe, a couple of points for braking too soon before coming to the redlight, etc. It's hard to be yourself with a driving instructor in your car but you have to be cool and pretend you are with afriend or something. :rolleyes2 I lost 8 points and I was too cautious.

My friend Terry who was a HS and University genious, won all kinds of awards and scholorships including top 2% for highest grades for math algebra etc. in Canada, and he failed the road test 3 times! :shhh:

RBraczyk
09-29-04, 05:06 PM
Do not smoke weed before you take your test. Thats all the advice i have to give. I didn't and i passed on my first try. I think the guy liked my car too.

FLSurf420
09-30-04, 07:59 AM
whered that come from lol

Daniel Almestica
09-30-04, 01:22 PM
not in the city you would have fail with the curb thing frist and no one can be in the car with you.

lol, in NY it was a joke... seriously.... I learned to drive, and took my road test in my mothers '89 Brougham....

I reset the trip odometer... the whole test was honestly under 2 miles... about 6minutes total...

he told me to parallel park, I ended up further in the road then I started, then he told me to go up to the next car, I did... I was about 2.5 feet from the curb, he opened the door and said, see how far the curb is? now pretend the curb is a car, and do what you normally would.... I did... I was a few inches fomr the curb this time, he was like, that's better....

Then he had me go on this service road to an abonded factory to do a 3-point turn.... the '89 is just shy of being 20 feet long... this road was seriosuly about 25 feet wide... needless to say, the guy was impressed...

after it was done, I said to my mother (who was in the back) that I now know why American drivers are so bad... it was so easy.... 3 days later I got a ticket for 62 in a 45.... eh... there is a discliacmer though :)

just do simple things, complete stop, blinker, turn head etc... it should be easy....

davesdeville
10-01-04, 03:06 AM
I didn't even take a driving test. I went to a driving school, got a learners permit, did 4 hours with an instructor from the school, then in 6 months went back for the CDI. The Controlled Driving Environment is a parking lot with some cones in it, basically we just followed the school's owner in his Escalade.

The easiest thing ever. Well almost..

carguy16
10-04-04, 07:13 PM
I took my driving test today, apparently I lost 29 points, I dont know what the grading scale is.

Screwed up in parking, I pulled in crookedly, I had to back up before I got into the parking spot so I wouldnt hit the cone...And this is with a 2000 Ford Taurus, not a good turner. Skidded my tires in the parking lot froma stop at 20 mph for a quick stop, then apparently the ABS kicked on when I went to make a quick stop and there was a split second front wheel look up. straight backing the car apparently turned a little, apparently I was riding in the center of the road(theres no lines in the road!), and I took to long to get moving because someone tapped their horn at me... Lol, I spooked the driving instructor a little bit taking off in the parking lot...I think she grabbed the door handle...

But, I am now a licensed Florida driver, see you on the road. I am a great driver, but I passed, and that is that. Thank god I didnt hit the curb, if it wasnt for the dip in the curb I probably would have plowed into it, I was about 1-2 inches from it. I cant see sqaut out of the mirrors, I can barely tell where the front end of the car is in connection with the curb. I did a 3 point turn, that was a no brainer. Did that great.

Anyone in the Tampa, FL area selling a descent Cadillac for $4,000.00 out the door?

ben72227
10-04-04, 07:33 PM
not a good turner

And you want a Cadillac :eek: ? If you can't turn a Ford Taurus, you're going to need bit more practice, especially if you get one of the older, FWD Caddys like mine. :bonkers: Yonkers, it sounds like you were nervous to me, with all that stop and go nonsense :rolleyes: I'm sure you can find a Cadillac in Tampa, with all those old retired guys down there :p , but learn how to drive the Taurus first. Its one thing to **** up a Ford Taurus; a Cadillac Seville/El Dorado/Deville is Quite different...

carguy16
10-04-04, 09:23 PM
And you want a Cadillac :eek: ? If you can't turn a Ford Taurus, you're going to need bit more practice, especially if you get one of the older, FWD Caddys like mine. :bonkers: Yonkers, it sounds like you were nervous to me, with all that stop and go nonsense :rolleyes: I'm sure you can find a Cadillac in Tampa, with all those old retired guys down there :p , but learn how to drive the Taurus first. Its one thing to **** up a Ford Taurus; a Cadillac Seville/El Dorado/Deville is Quite different...

The parking lot was tight as hell, of course, I will always back up and get in the space properly. But its not easy to do when you have a driving instructor in the car, and your on the line for a license. If we hit the cone we failed, thank god I didnt. Everyone knows you do things differently WITHOUT a drivers instructor in the car. You couldnt even drive over the white lines in the parking lot, due to posistion of the cones, which you COULD NOT knock over or you would fail! I was avoiding going over the speed limit, thats a fail right there. I was on some slightly down hill streets, so I kept stabing/riding the brakes ever so slightly...I wish I would have asked the maximum ammount of points, I know there was a member here in FL that has to take the test, perhaps he could ask???

I dont think I will forget the part where she grabbed the door handle when I was accelerating through the parking lot to 20 mph for and then do a quick stop! :histeric: :eek: I have never really done a quick stop, and have never had the ABS kick on before. I did a quick stop in drivers ed, but the brakes are much different. By the way, I think the Taurus is close to 17 feet long, a FWB is about 18.75...

You know, this big giant mirrors on the front of a school bus would work great on the front of my car, I can see my front bumper and the side of the car. But, thats not practical by any means.

I found a 93 FWB, I dont think it has the Brougham package, but it is selling for $4350.00 at a whole sale dealer. My mom says no more then $4,000.00 out the door. I called the dealer, and they said to sell if for $4,000.00 out the door they would have to sell it for $3350.00 and the rest would be tax, tag, and title. This blows!!! So, that seems to be a no right now. I tried to tell him over the phone that the suspension is probably going to need work and its pricey, he said it has low miles for an 11 year old car, and I should feel free to come on down any time.