: 2011 SRX 3.0 performance

coolbeans
01-24-11, 12:22 PM
I am buying a new 2011 SRX in just a couple of days..I am looking at two AWD Performance models, same color, everything, only difference is one is turbo, one is 3.0, and of course the price.

I live at 6700ft, and have a few mountain passes,( all freeway), to go through to get to the big cities. I am just wanting to know will the 3.0,(set on cruise, about 77mph), be able to go without loosing but a couple mph, with 2 people and an average amount of groceries.? My 2007 AWD Durango w/5.7 hemi looses about 4.5 mph, then downshifts to get back to speed. Now I dont care if the srx has to downshift, as long as it doesnt loose that much mph. I do not anticipate any problems in that respect with the turbo.

I dont expect the 3.0 to be a race car, but I would like it to have decent acceleration, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Smokin' SRX
01-24-11, 12:46 PM
The 3.0 is a good eng but only adequate in this sled. I traverse some good hills myself, in upper NY state, and it does downshift a lot (most 6-7 speeds do!) but gets there, no concerns. Having said this I see you had a Hemi. (nice) I wanted the Turbo also, but stumbled upon the exact car I wanted (sans Turbo) and grabbed it..........saving a few G's. Having to do it all over, I woulda gotten the Turbo, if not for better passing speed, just for the hoot! But recall, she drinks Premium gas only! If $$ are a minimum concern, your decision is made :-)

SS

PS.....the Turbo has an Aisin brand tranny (still 6-speed auto) and shifts better, IMHO, after driving both. The Turbo has been discontinued for 2012. Apparently, enough folks thought the extra $ was not warranted. I agree, but.......................

coolbeans
01-24-11, 12:56 PM
Thanks SS!
That is very helpful! True, the turbo is $$$! I would love to have it!! The wife is somewhat of a leadfoot, so the extra performance would just make her happier, which of course, makes me happier! The dealer is figuring the worth on my trade as we speak, so we shall see.

Thanks again!

CB

Smokin' SRX
01-24-11, 01:04 PM
Glad to help. You know it's really about mileage. If you drive only 5-8K miles a year, who cares about gas. If you drive 20K + as many do, it's a big factor. Then there's that money issue again, LOL
But honestly, if you have the bucks to spend, the Turbo rocks!

Good luck!
SS

coolbeans
01-24-11, 01:10 PM
I forgot to ask that important info you have brought up...what milage are you getting? As that will have a deciding factor with the wife, she wants to get better than the 19 or 20 she gets with the hemi.

smiley47
01-24-11, 01:19 PM
By all means take a lengthy test drive in both models. I believe that in addition to the turbo power increase, you'll notice the tranny shifts smoother and it just feels very well balanced with the AWD. If the tires are not over inflated (which tends to happen at the factory) I think you'll find the SRX to be the smoothest SUV you've ever driven.

I couldn't be happier with our Turbo and would buy it again in a second.

coolbeans
01-24-11, 01:31 PM
Thanks smiley!
What kind of freeway milage do you get at steady speed?

smiley47
01-24-11, 01:44 PM
Thanks smiley!
What kind of freeway milage do you get at steady speed?

I haven't checked it lately but at around 10,000 miles it was 24 HWY at steady speeds. If you play around hard in Sport Mode you can lower that number by 20% LOL.

I have 17,000 miles now and it passed it's one year anniversary last week. I should probably check it again but quite frankly that's not a factor in my appreciation of the vehicle.

GMJim
01-24-11, 02:06 PM
coolbeans, if a supplier discount would help you, lemme know. Jim

coolbeans
01-24-11, 02:33 PM
Thanks again, smiley!

GMJim, I work for a company that all their vehicles are supplied by one gm dealer, and as an employee, we are supposed to get any GM vehicle at the "supplier discount". Now, I am not well versed in that, but I am quoted $5800 deducted from the msrp, (rebates, supplier disc. inc.) What it boils down to, is this good?, or can I get better, etc. This is on a 2011 turbo perf. premium AWD, blk on blk/shale.

PJ1520
01-24-11, 02:57 PM
I thought the 2.8L turbo was being dropped for the 2012 model year for emissions reasons, not because of lower than expected sales. No?

Also, under load (hills and mountains) wouldn't the fuel mileage gap get narrower between the 3.0L and the 2.8L T.....3.0 working harder ?

By the way, down the road I'd rather be grousing about fuel costs rather than be dissatisfied with the power differential. At least I got something tangible and (for me) quite satisfying in the exchange. But that's me. :devil:

PJ

coolbeans
01-24-11, 04:36 PM
Thanks PJ1520!

Actually, with the replies I have received so far, I am leaning toward the turbo so hard that I believe I have dented the hood!
AS a matter of fact, the dealer has stashed that black turbo (mentioned above) for me, and I am going tomorrow am to test it, and
will probably be the proud owner by tomorrow night!

Wish us luck!!

smiley47
01-24-11, 06:38 PM
Thanks PJ1520!

Actually, with the replies I have received so far, I am leaning toward the turbo so hard that I believe I have dented the hood!
AS a matter of fact, the dealer has stashed that black turbo (mentioned above) for me, and I am going tomorrow am to test it, and
will probably be the proud owner by tomorrow
Wish us luck!!

I sent you a PM.

coolbeans
01-24-11, 07:06 PM
Thanks!
I have sent a reply.

Smokin' SRX
01-25-11, 12:46 AM
I forgot to ask that important info you have brought up...what milage are you getting? As that will have a deciding factor with the wife, she wants to get better than the 19 or 20 she gets with the hemi.

I'm about 14 in town (heavy foot) and 23 highway @ 68MPH in Cruise average. You won't often get more........ :-( She's a solid 4500 lbs!

SS

coolbeans
01-25-11, 10:22 AM
Thanks SS !

That helps alot! If it doesn't snow much, we are supposed to see the dealer today, we have three srx's picked out, it should be fun.

Razorecko
01-25-11, 12:05 PM
Get the turbo. Shifts better, more power, isn't always downshifting/ revving high to move = much quieter & smoother drive.

Ponyman
01-25-11, 12:51 PM
Our 3.0 is abour 17 in town 24-26 highway. The 3.0 is a good engine. I have never felt it lacked for power when accelerating onto the highway, or crusing at 70-80. Never noticed ours constantly downshifting either. But if you feel the need for speeed the turbo is porobably the way to go. Just be sure to get one before they are all gone.

coolbeans
01-25-11, 10:41 PM
Well, it snowed so much that it would have been stupid to take a chance, so the wife looked at the high res pics that were sent, and made her decision on 3 weeks worth of research....she said, "I want the one with the rear DVD".
So, the 2011 Turbo Premium AWD Raven Black with Black/Titainium, tow hitch, etc. was the only one that had it, so we bought it over the phone, (contingent on test drive), and will pick it up on Sat. am. It is now resting indoors, out of the way, with a "sold" sticker, waiting for it's new home!

It is sunny for the next 4 days, so there wont be any mud, snow, salt, sand thrown all over it on the drive home.
We are so excited!! I hate waiting!!!

Thank You all for your help, I received a wealth of info or each, so thanks again! Pics coming soon.

Razorecko
01-25-11, 10:48 PM
^ good call. We got the one with the dvd in the rear because it was the only platinum ice turbo on the whole east coast at that time. Now that we're expecting that dvd will be a lifesaver in the future =)

PJ1520
01-25-11, 11:05 PM
^ good call. We got the one with the dvd in the rear because it was the only platinum ice turbo on the whole east coast at that time. Now that we're expecting that dvd will be a lifesaver in the future =)

Congratulations Razor. LIFESAVER is exactly the term to use. The family took a two vehicle, 3,000 mile roadtrip last April. The granddaughter was in my car. Not a peep out of her for the entire trip except to have the DVD swapped out for another. Not a peep forfood, potty stops, nothing. Like she wasn't even in the car. Just make sure the headphones have fresh batteries and you bring dozens of DVDs.

Pj

coolbeans
01-25-11, 11:47 PM
Yeah, our Durango has the overhead rear dvd, but now, each grandkid will have their own screen! Of course, no food nor drinks in this one! LOL!

zinner
01-26-11, 01:40 AM
This tells the store of the 3.0 litre.

2010–present Cadillac SRX[5] 265 hp (198 kW; 269 PS) @ 6950 rpm 223 ft·lbf (302 N·m) @ 5100 rpm

223 tq @ 5100 RPM unusable by the average driver. If it was at 3000rpm it might be another story but the transmission doesn't even let you get to 5100 RPM unless you are flooring it.

IMO the 3.0 feels like a 4 cylinder. With the pedal to the floor it was pretty decent power, but I don't drive like that plus, the interior noise at high RPM's was unacceptable for me.

Ponyman
01-26-11, 09:13 AM
Zinner, I am glad you like your turbo, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the 3.0. It has plently of acceleration power, cruises the interstate without excissive down shifting, and at whatever speed that I want. I have had two CTS's and the SRX 3.0 is no noiserier than them. If you believe everything that you rread then I feel sorry for you. I have been driving a 3.0 premium for a year now and love it as do many, many others on this forum.

stevec5375
01-26-11, 10:23 AM
This tells the store of the 3.0 litre.

2010–present Cadillac SRX[5] 265 hp (198 kW; 269 PS) @ 6950 rpm 223 ft·lbf (302 N·m) @ 5100 rpm

223 tq @ 5100 RPM unusable by the average driver. If it was at 3000rpm it might be another story but the transmission doesn't even let you get to 5100 RPM unless you are flooring it.

IMO the 3.0 feels like a 4 cylinder. With the pedal to the floor it was pretty decent power, but I don't drive like that plus, the interior noise at high RPM's was unacceptable for me.

I agree with you that the SRX is under powered for its weight class. With that, one would hope for better gas mileage, but alas, it's not very good at that either. However, at least they gave it "Sports Mode" so those who like high RPMs can get their giggles.

chiefmjk
01-26-11, 10:27 AM
I got mine in mid November. Gold Coast Cadillac in Central New Jersey is the largest Cadillac dealer in the country and they had to locate mine in upstate New York and ship it down. I imagine the Turbos are few, anyone intrested in them better act soon before they are history.
Well, it snowed so much that it would have been stupid to take a chance, so the wife looked at the high res pics that were sent, and made her decision on 3 weeks worth of research....she said, "I want the one with the rear DVD".
So, the 2011 Turbo Premium AWD Raven Black with Black/Titainium, tow hitch, etc. was the only one that had it, so we bought it over the phone, (contingent on test drive), and will pick it up on Sat. am. It is now resting indoors, out of the way, with a "sold" sticker, waiting for it's new home!

It is sunny for the next 4 days, so there wont be any mud, snow, salt, sand thrown all over it on the drive home.

Thank You all for your help, I received a wealth of info or each, so thanks again! Pics coming soon.

Razorecko
01-26-11, 11:33 AM
Congratulations Razor. LIFESAVER is exactly the term to use. The family took a two vehicle, 3,000 mile roadtrip last April. The granddaughter was in my car. Not a peep out of her for the entire trip except to have the DVD swapped out for another. Not a peep forfood, potty stops, nothing. Like she wasn't even in the car. Just make sure the headphones have fresh batteries and you bring dozens of DVDs.

Pj

Thanks ! And the total silence of the 2.8t does a great job in putting our 2x dogs to sleep, lol

sube5186
01-26-11, 03:34 PM
One thing you should be aware of is that the 3.0L needs a "break-in" period before you can accurately gauge the acceleration. During this period the transmission analyzes your driving style and adapts accordingly. This accounts for why some people complain about the shifting. After this learning process, shifting is smooth and acceleration is greatly improved. When I first got the car I almost always drove in "Sport" mode, as I found the "Tour" mode somewhat sluggish. Now that's it's broken in, I almost never use the Sport mode. I just don't need it, except for those times when I want to play "race car driver". ;)

The salespeople fail to mention any of this. I believe most of them are unaware of it. It mentions this in the brochure, but it seems like no one ever reads those. They just look at the pictures. :o

Sube

Smokin' SRX
01-26-11, 04:28 PM
I thought the 2.8L turbo was being dropped for the 2012 model year for emissions reasons, not because of lower than expected sales. No?

Also, under load (hills and mountains) wouldn't the fuel mileage gap get narrower between the 3.0L and the 2.8L T.....3.0 working harder ?

By the way, down the road I'd rather be grousing about fuel costs rather than be dissatisfied with the power differential. At least I got something tangible and (for me) quite satisfying in the exchange. But that's me. :devil:

PJ

No, the Turbo was dropped for primarily sales reasons. Emmisions may have been a factor also. I still wish I'd gotten one just for the hoot! Until I retire, (15 years?) I have a gas card........so.........

From GM Insider news:

In recent weeks there has been speculation that Cadillac would be killing off the turbocharged model of its SRX crossover. The speculation fueled by dealership rumors and recent amendments to GM’s vehicle order guide; both suggesting the cease of production of the turbo model. Today Cadillac PR has confirmed to GMI that the SRX Turbo has been discontinued.
Cadillac spokesperson Robyn Henderson stated that low sales of the turbo model fueled its demise, citing that over 90-percent of SRX sales have been of the 3.0-liter model."

SS

smiley47
01-26-11, 05:21 PM

Congrats coolbeans, Great choice. I'm sure you be very happy with your decision.

Only one question: How can you stand waiting until SATURDAY?

coolbeans
01-26-11, 07:11 PM
Thanks!!

We were going to pick it up today am., but I was notified that I had training the rest of the week, so I was stuck.
BUT, I dont mind telling you, I HATE WAITING!!!!!! AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
(Deep breaths, deep breaths) LOL!

Smokin' SRX
01-26-11, 09:24 PM
Good for you! Sat will feel like an eternity. Glad you got the Turbo. It's a tuxedo to a suit, in my opinion. You will love it. Almost got one (in addition to my wifes!) the other day...................a black turbo! Bought a Black Yukon Denali instead. 403hp! Wanted 2 very different sleds LOL

Best wishes!

SS

coolbeans
01-26-11, 11:58 PM
Thanks!!
Congrats on the Denali !!
Those are nice rides!
One day down, two to go.

PJ1520
01-27-11, 12:09 AM
COOLBEANS........tick tick tick goes the clock, ever so slowly.
PJ

coolbeans
01-27-11, 12:57 AM
LOL! I swear I saw my wall clock going backwards just a while ago!
Work is the worst!

Razorecko
01-27-11, 09:12 AM
LOL! I swear I saw my wall clock going backwards just a while ago!
Work is the worst!

You know what will pass the time faster....shopping for accessories for your new ride :lildevil:

coolbeans
01-27-11, 06:14 PM
That is a wonderful idea, I believe I'll check out the splash guards, all weather mats.

drjdan
01-29-11, 01:54 AM
I have a 2011 3.0 now with 3000 miles after taking a 2000 trip in first month. The 2011 with the new calibration is much smoother than the 2010's I had test driven. The cruse control up and down hills stays within 2 mph range without any problem.

coolbeans
01-30-11, 09:00 PM
Yeah, that is what the dealer told us, but the one we came to get was the exact one the wife wanted..when we pulled up in the lot, there it sat, in it's own special place, the wife parked her car, walked up to it, and said to me "this is the one, isn't it..I know this is the one!!" They treated us like VIP's, it was a wonderul experience!

smiley47
01-30-11, 10:31 PM
Yeah, that is what the dealer told us, but the one we came to get was the exact one the wife wanted..when we pulled up in the lot, there it sat, in it's own special place, the wife parked her car, walked up to it, and said to me "this is the one, isn't it..I know this is the one!!" They treated us like VIP's, it was a wonderul experience!

Time for some pics!!

PJ1520
02-02-11, 02:33 AM
Smiley.........no pics. I think they picked up the SRX and are still out driving it. :cool2:

PJ

coolbeans
02-02-11, 12:00 PM
Ha! I have pics!! But you were also correct when you said we were still out driving it. LOL!
It of course rained on us during the drive home, which brought up the salt from 2 days before, so, the car's a bit dirty, but, WHAT A RIDE!!
I am having a fun time getting used to not using a key! My '04 DeVille was really nice, but Cadillac has sure come a long ways!
Anyway, I am going to figure out how to post a pic.

22velocity
02-02-11, 12:33 PM
I just picked up a 2011 Radiant silver luxury AWD on monday,it has titanium with ebony leather . So far the 3.0 litre seems fine. I had been driving a 2008 black and cashmere Buick Lucerne. The 3800 v6 in the Lucerne definitely had better performance. The power to weight ratio is better in the Buick. The wife misses the smooth ride and the plush feel of the seats in the Lucerne. With all the snow we have had in Brookfield,WI in the last few days, I am enjoying the AWD. I was disappointed only in one area with the SRX, I wanted the chrome p47 20" wheels to complete the look of the vehicle. The problem, I would have had to spend 6 grand more and get the performace model and then still add another $425 on the vehicle. I am a retired GM employee having spent 40 years with Buick motor division, this is the first Cadillac I have bought. I was able to go from $397 a month on my Lucerne to $435 a month on the SRX. I am Pleased so far, Frank

coolbeans
02-02-11, 01:46 PM
Okay, I created an album, and I will try to post a pic or two.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72169&stc=1&d=1296667522
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72170&stc=1&d=1296667705
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72171&stc=1&d=1296667845
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72172&stc=1&d=1296667951
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72173&stc=1&d=1296668018

GMJim
02-02-11, 02:07 PM
Welcome Frank, 40 years!
I stated my career at Buick Engineering.
Glad you like your SRX.
Jim

Smokin' SRX
02-02-11, 06:11 PM
Okay, I created an album, and I will try to post a pic or two.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72169&stc=1&d=1296667522
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72170&stc=1&d=1296667705
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72171&stc=1&d=1296667845
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72172&stc=1&d=1296667951
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72173&stc=1&d=1296668018

Went to your Profile and saw your Album page! Nice ride! Almost got a black Turbo last week but got a Yukon instead! Wanted some variety. We have Platinum Ice, but black was my other choice. She's a beauty!
SS

Smokin' SRX
02-02-11, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=22velocity;2484188] I was disappointed only in one area with the SRX, I wanted the chrome p47 20" wheels to complete the look of the vehicle. The problem, I would have had to spend 6 grand more and get the performace model and then still add another $425 on the vehicle. "

You may want a quick semi-fix to this. Ebay has beautiful replacement chrome center caps for your wheels! I got them for my 20" wheels with gold Caddy wreath. Love 'em. See my album or go directly to Ebay or check BigDaddyCaddy.com or others for some great accessories....... makes a big difference.

SS

coolbeans
02-02-11, 06:33 PM
Thanks, SS!!!

This car is a lot of fun!

smiley47
02-02-11, 06:46 PM
I saw the pictures in your profile album as well. Very nice. I'll bet you can't wait for some warm car washing weather. Enjoy your new ride. You made the right call.

coolbeans
02-02-11, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Smiley!! Around here, we get 7 months of winter, and 5 months of bad skiing, there are some days when the wind is actually not blowing, and its not snowing or raining, that I may get the chance to wash 'n wax it!

smiley47
02-02-11, 07:23 PM
Where is "around here"?

coolbeans
02-02-11, 07:28 PM
The SW corner of Wyoming...around 40 miles from the Utah border...it was -17 this am, now about 2*.

b4z
02-20-11, 05:48 PM
One of the good things about the 3.6L coming out in 2012 is that you won't have to buy the heavier AWD model if you don't want. Especially us in the Southern states. I am also hoping for some lower price points and since this will be the 3rd year of production some lease deals.

drjdan
02-20-11, 07:03 PM
How will the 3.6 vs. the 3.0 make any difference in the need for AWD?

b4z
02-21-11, 09:13 AM
How will the 3.6 vs. the 3.0 make any difference in the need for AWD?

if you wanted the extra power your only choice with the Turbo was AWD.
Since the 3.6L will be the only engine available in 2012 you will obviously be able to get FWD which is lighter, improving acceleration, gas mileage, ride quality, etc.