: Reverse Lock-Out issue?

PriceIsRight
01-24-11, 11:05 AM
Hey everyone...I've been reading this forum for quite some time and y'all have been great in providing a lot of good information. So much that I was quite confident in purchasing my '06 V back in Sept '09.

I do have one issue that has started recently and wanted to see if anyone else had the problem.

My V is bone stock with the exception of a CAGS eliminator. I purchased one immediately after buying the car because I can't stand the 1-4 skip.

Over the past few weeks though, I've experienced a condition where the 'reverse lock-out' (not sure if that's the correct term for it) doesn't engage after backing out of my driveway. Now, the car doesn't actually let me go into reverse, but the gate is open and I end up shifting towards reverse instead of 5th. After a few stops in traffic, the condition seems to correct itself. I've replaced my CAGS eliminator with the Lingenfelter kit, but the problem still persists. The car is only at 38K miles with the biggest repair being the water pump.

Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem?

PISNUOFF
01-24-11, 11:55 AM
I have had this issue as have many others. It sounds as though your lockout solenoid has gone bad.

PriceIsRight
01-24-11, 01:06 PM
Ahhhh, good to know I'm not the only one. Thank you very much for the quick feedback. I'll have the dealer take a look at it next time I'm in for maintenance. Fortunately, mine is still under certified warranty.

Any idea how involved it is to replace the solenoid? I'm not planning on doing it myself, of course, but just like to know how much they're going to have to take off/apart to change it.

Again, thank you very much for the info!!!!

PISNUOFF
01-24-11, 01:09 PM
It's not that difficult. I don't think you even have to drop the trans to get to it. Probably a 2 out of 10 to do.

PriceIsRight
01-24-11, 02:15 PM
Great, thanks again for the information....I appreciate it and all the other info you've put out there.

Fastone27
02-08-11, 03:47 PM
Hey guys i just installed the lingenfelter CAGS eliminator and notice that there is now the letter R in the odometer section not having my OM with me is this an issue? Does this mean my reverse lock -out solenoid is now not working I ust don't recall seeing it before the cags eliminator was installed. Am i just worried for no reason.

Andringa
02-08-11, 04:21 PM
The CAGS eliminator is supposed to go on the Driver's side. If you accidentally installed it on the passenger side you disabled your reverse lockout solenoid. I am not sure if that would cause the R to be displayed.

It could also be completely unrelated, the R gets displayed any time that you are in reverse. But I have had it stay on for a few hours before. I never figured out what caused it to act up, as it went away by itself.

PriceIsRight
03-08-11, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone...just a quick update. I was able to get my dealer to replace the solenoid....they had to order the part and did so basically only on my (well, ok...you guys) recommendation. They stated they couldn't replicate the problem. However, they did order it and install it...and the problem has gone away. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Chris0nllyn
03-08-11, 04:59 PM
Nice!

Mine has done it maybe 2 times, only when the car is cold though....Solenoid probably starting to go out, just like my starter....