: Denso Products

Kefo
01-24-11, 12:59 AM
I was wondering how you all feel about Denso Products, does anybody use them in place of AC Delco for direct fit aftermarket needs? I would like to replace my Spark Plugs with the Denso brand. Also, does anybody use Iridium instead of Platinum on the Northstar?

Submariner409
01-24-11, 10:29 AM
Do not use Iridium. DENSO was/is the original supplier for Northstar/GM. The present AC Delco #41-987 Platinum plugs for your engine are made in Japan by DENSO. So are several of the electronic ignition and fuel control trigger sensors.

Actually, if you replace your (OEM ?) plugs you may fine the originals in there are DENSO. A bit of anti-seize on the first 3 threads, torque to 13 ft/lb. Make sure the plug boots are clean and not tracked. Insure the coil cassette ground springs are clean and make good contact. A bit of oil on the plug bodies ???? Not to worry - those plug well O-rings weep over time. Not a problem. Oil the injector O-rings before you drop the rail back in. Re-use the security locks on the injector connectors.

EDIT: Just saw mhamilton's post - the AC Delco plugs are identical and come in 8-packs from RockAuto.

mhamilton
01-24-11, 10:29 AM
Well I just replaced my plugs a few weeks ago, and the ones I took out (I'm sure were original to my engine) were made by Denso. The new Delcos I replaced them with looked identical in every way except for the brand name on the insulator. Just looked at RockAuto, they're not showing a picture of the replacement Denso plugs, so maybe they're not the same as the ones made when the engine was new.

I think, though, that most people who have tried anything but platinum tipped plugs had nothing but trouble. I would say stick to platinum, and if you feel like the Denso are comparable to the OE plugs then go for it.

Kefo
01-24-11, 12:14 PM
Thanks, I will use the platinum. The true aftermarket Denso part number for AC Delco 41-987 is PT16EPR13 I have access to these great products so I am now confident in installing them on my N* when in need.

Bowler807
01-24-11, 11:58 PM
Last summer I replaced my original plugs with the Denso TT (twin tip) platinum. They were much cheaper than the Delco replacement and actually work great. I probably didn't need new plugs with 70,000 miles, but I put them in anyway. Now at 73,000 the engine is still smooth as silk.

Submariner409
01-25-11, 10:58 AM
Last summer I replaced my original plugs with the Denso TT (twin tip) platinum. They were much cheaper than the Delco replacement and actually work great. I probably didn't need new plugs with 70,000 miles, but I put them in anyway. Now at 73,000 the engine is still smooth as silk.

You need to be careful with the distinction between the DENSO Twin-Tip and the DENSO Double Platinum: Two different plugs, two different prices.

The AC Delco Platinum Professional and DENSO Double Platinum are exact equivalents - not the DENSO Twin-Tip.

Read the fine print in either the plug spec sheets or a bit more abbreviated version in the Rock Auto site. (In any event, the DENSO Double Platinum is slightly less expensive than the AC Delco Platinum version.)

Bowler807
01-27-11, 11:53 PM
Here is what Denso says about the plug that I installed.

In DENSO's Platinum TT spark plug, the TT stands for Twin-Tip. It's one step beyond traditional platinum plugs, with premium materials on both electrodes instead of only one. The 1.1mm platinum center electrode is augmented by a titanium-enhanced ground electrode, delivering maximum ignition energy under the fiercest conditions an engine's combustion chamber can dish out. Along with the materials, the design is unique as well: The ground electrode's free-standing firing pad reduces quenching to generate a more powerful spark. The Platinum TT is designed to offer superior consumer value, along with faster starts and improved economy. DENSO's objectives: Top Performance, Total Value.

All I know is they seem to work just fine, and were only 2.58 each at Rock Auto.