: 2000 seville SLS engine removal

hoy_boy4g63
01-22-11, 11:33 PM
Is it at all possible to remove engine from the top instead of dropping the cradle?

JoeTahoe
01-22-11, 11:45 PM
welcome to the forum, It is posible too remove from the top but if you have never worked on a northstar powered caddy I would strongly advise taking it from the bottom. There are lots of brackets and very tight areas. I have a lift so it is really easy for me too say take from the bottom. It takes me around 10hrs to have the subframe out of the car and engine on a engine stand. There are some very experinced members on this forum and they will chime in.

hoy_boy4g63
01-22-11, 11:57 PM
thanx, I do not have a lift available to me at the moment, so is there a specific technique to remove from under without a lift or would it be easier to remove from top? and thanx again for the help

JoeTahoe
01-23-11, 12:43 AM
your best bet would be to get a factory service manual and that will show you the procedure. i have a thread down on in this same area on my own car right now so check the pics out.

maeng9981
01-23-11, 03:03 AM
Even without a lift, most people would still prefer dropping the cradle.

The most popular way (I think) is to lift the front end with an engine hoist while the "disassembled" cradle with engine stays on the ground.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/31831-n-head-gasket-repair-3.html
There is an example picture in the middle of above thread ^.

zonie77
01-23-11, 07:57 PM
It is easier to drop the cradle using a hoist to lift the body than it is to pull the engine off the cradle.:hmm:

Hard to get your head around it but it's true.:cool2: