: No Updated needed on Nav System - It occurs automatically????

algiorda
01-22-11, 08:58 PM
I was at the dealer today having my first Oil change / tires rotated / Power Steering Recall done.

I asked the service advisor if I can also have my Nav system Updated and he said; "You do NOT have to update the NAV system, it updates automatically remotely". Is this True???? I understand the difference between OnStar Directions downloaded to the Nav and the Non-OnStar Maps installed on the Hard Disk. Does the Dealer and are they correct?

sube5186
01-22-11, 09:03 PM
No, it does NOT update automatically. When I asked about it, my salesman told me the exact same thing. I don't believe he was intentionally deceiving me. He really believed that. Poor fellow was overwhelmed with the technology of the vehicle and didn't have a clue. If that was the case GM wouldn't be "selling" update DVDs (below).

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-search.asp?lang=en&make=CAD&model=SRX&year=2010

Sube

2010sled
01-23-11, 11:40 AM
Is that why it cost you $ 199.00 for a dlank disc

algiorda
01-23-11, 05:03 PM
Yea...I sort of figured, but wanted to ask anyway. Remember, this was a Service Advisor telling me this; NOT a salesman! LOL

I'm surprised he just didn't say; "you have to purchase the update disk". They try to sell me every other service they have.

Smokin' SRX
01-24-11, 10:32 AM
Funny, I was at Dealer yesterday and Service guy said we have a "Satellite based Nav system" and no disc is needed?? He's one of the sharper guys there, so I asked him twice and he answered same. Hmmmm. Haven't got the X away from my wife long enough to check it out..........

SS

stevec5375
01-24-11, 12:10 PM
Funny, I was at Dealer yesterday and Service guy said we have a "Satellite based Nav system" and no disc is needed?? He's one of the sharper guys there, so I asked him twice and he answered same. Hmmmm. Haven't got the X away from my wife long enough to check it out..........

SS

LOL!! If it's satellite based why are they selling a Nav update disc for $199.00? The only thing that is satellite based is the GPS signal for tracking. The updated maps, POIs, etc. are NOT downloaded.

2010sled
01-24-11, 04:13 PM
He full of bullshit ,satilite is for the gps and xm radio. They will say anything to sell a call. You already have the 2011 disc installed but next year expect to pay $200 for theupdated maps

Smokin' SRX
01-24-11, 11:49 PM
Thx. That's what I had thought also. Amazing how sure he sounded. Do any of these guys know their product?? ( Besides our Forum members!!)

SS

sube5186
01-25-11, 04:47 PM
Do any of these guys know their product?

SS

It's been my experience that most don't, or else they know the bare minimum to pacify the average customer. I've had salesman obviously make stuff up right off the top of their heads just to hide the embarrassment of sounding ignorant. Out of all of the cars I've ever owned, I've never had a salesperson know even close to as much as I did about the vehicle. Am I some kind of automotive guru who has mastered every vehicle ever made? Hell no! However, I do know how to read a simple owner's manual and/or brochure. If I was a car salesman I would take the time to study all of the features of the models I sold. Being knowledgeable and well informed in the customer's eyes is impressive enough to actually make some sales. It's too bad so many of them don't take enough pride in their profession to even bother.

I'm sure I will have offended some knowledgeable salespeople out there. If so, don't be offended. If you don't fit into this category, I'm not referring to you. However, I'm sure that during your tenure you've probably worked side by side with more than a few of these types of salespeople.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
01-26-11, 09:27 PM
LOL when I bought my 04 SRX I asked what the Magnetic Ride Control was? I had read up but wanted the Caddy take on it. When He said " it helps you steer faster" I just nodded and walked away. I was embarassed for him. I always have pre-shopped/researched features on my cars even when buying a used 57 Chevy ( I'm not that old!) and knew what a rare option the Super Suck Ashtray was! LOL

Anybody know/remember??

SS

sube5186
01-26-11, 09:35 PM
What's ironic is if I was to go to the dealer and apply for a job as a salesman they'd tell me, "No, you don't have any experience." That's true, but I still know more about their cars than some actual salespeople. It's just that they're better at pulling the wool over customers' eyes.

Sube

stevec5375
01-27-11, 08:30 AM
What's ironic is if I was to go to the dealer and apply for a job as a salesman they'd tell me, "No, you don't have any experience." That's true, but I still know more about their cars than some actual salespeople. It's just that they're better at pulling the wool over customers' eyes.

Sube

You don't have any experience lying and keeping a straight face, that is. :hide: