: Coolant Leak Diagnosis - Help!

hhncartjock
01-22-11, 06:42 PM
On the way over to a friends house I get a check coolant level message. Luckily I was less than a mile away when it happened. By the time I park and get out theres a puddle underneath the car. Not good. Its pitch dark out and cars parked on the street. Anyway to diagnosis the leak without jacking it up and taking a look from underneath? Obviously I took a look from under the hood and wasnt able to see much.

Im asking because I need to know where to have it towed. I bought a aftermarket warranty when I purchased the car with a $250 deductable. If its just a hose I doubt I'll take it to the Caddy dealership. If its the water pump, radiator or something expensive obviously I would.

Worth noting that I had a crack in the top of my radiator and had it replaced at the dealership about 6 months ago.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

:banghead:

rand49er
01-22-11, 06:47 PM
Radiators were one of a half dozen or so known glitches with the '04 V, but most showed up pretty quickly and were replaced under warranty way back when.

The fact that yours was replaced only six months ago by a dealer should get you some consideration at that dearlership, and they should do right by you and replace it again.

More guys here will give additional advice, so stay tuned in here. Good luck!

emsav8er
01-22-11, 08:57 PM
I had a leak that I couldn't find for a while and I finally removed the plastic guard that covers the top of the radiator. I found a crack in a "T" that comes from the front of the engine, over the radiator and then to the reservoir. The part is around $169 bucks for the 3 rubber tubes and a special "T". I cut the plastic "T" out of the system and went to an auto parts store and bought 3 hose clamps, 3 nipples, and a brass threaded block for about $14. Take THAT cadillac !!!! It took about 2 months for the anti freeze smell to go away.

Scott

hhncartjock
01-22-11, 09:02 PM
Thanks. Spent the last hour searching/reading posts on the radiator topic. Seems to be pretty common. Theres still some coolant in the reservoir. Theres a huge patch of coolant on the pavement though. Would a loss of that much fluid be a symptom of a cracked/split seam in the bottom of the radiator? Hard to imagine the radiator going bad so quick. Never been to the track and dont drive it that hard. Appreciate the help.

darkman
01-23-11, 09:35 AM
Thanks. Spent the last hour searching/reading posts on the radiator topic. Seems to be pretty common. Theres still some coolant in the reservoir. Theres a huge patch of coolant on the pavement though. Would a loss of that much fluid be a symptom of a cracked/split seam in the bottom of the radiator? Hard to imagine the radiator going bad so quick. Never been to the track and dont drive it that hard. Appreciate the help.

Puddles on the pavement is not the signature of the type of leaks for which these radiators are known. A more dramatic failure is, of course possible.

If you want to find the leak put the front of the car on Rhino ramps or jack stands and remove the apron that is held on by pins underneath the bumper-radiator area. If it is leaking bad enough to leave puddles, the source should be obvious with the motor running. Also chaeck underneath the top radiator cover - it has two pins and then just pops up.

CancerJCC
01-23-11, 12:13 PM
Puddles on the pavement is not the signature of the type of leaks for which these radiators are known. A more dramatic failure is, of course possible.

If you want to find the leak put the front of the car on Rhino ramps or jack stands and remove the apron that is held on by pins underneath the bumper-radiator area. If it is leaking bad enough to leave puddles, the source should be obvious with the motor running. Also chaeck underneath the top radiator cover - it has two pins and then just pops up.

Exactly. All of the radiator failures are slowwwww coolant leaks. In fact most people couldn't even tell where the fluid was leaking from as it dried up before being seen.

Without getting under your specific car and looking it is foolish to attempt a diagnoses over the internet.

hhncartjock
01-25-11, 11:27 AM
Well, turns out its the water pump. Now Im trying to get together a list of other parts I can have replaced under my aftermarket warranty while its in there. Deductable is $250 so might as well have as much stuff replaced as possible. So far I've inquired about wheel hubs, trans and motor mounts. Diff is fine so far. Any other parts that go bad around 70,000 miles (2004 V)? Thanks for any input?

repenttokyo
01-25-11, 12:16 PM
Exactly. All of the radiator failures are slowwwww coolant leaks. In fact most people couldn't even tell where the fluid was leaking from as it dried up before being seen.

mine wasn't. mine blew about three holes in the top at an autocross event and sprayed coolant all over the engine.

CancerJCC
01-25-11, 05:07 PM
mine wasn't. mine blew about three holes in the top at an autocross event and sprayed coolant all over the engine.

You must be the exception to the rule! :)

repenttokyo
01-26-11, 11:10 AM
You must be the exception to the rule! :)

it was a very expensive exception, especially the towing part.

the coolant also scored my engine cover, so i have to get it repainted.

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 05:24 PM
it was a very expensive exception, especially the towing part.

the coolant also scored my engine cover, so i have to get it repainted.

Ouch! Yeah part of my fears of doing a distance course event is 1) Breaking down thus towing and 2) Wrecking my dd.

Probably ought to just go for some GTO custom covers as our stock one is a freaking heat blanket. Lower IAT's = more power!

repenttokyo
01-26-11, 06:02 PM
how much heat does the cover retain?

CancerJCC
01-26-11, 07:06 PM
how much heat does the cover retain?

I could not give you a quantifiable answer to that question but if you simply think about it realistically it seems enough to warrant its removal. The cover itself acts as a giant blanket over top of the intake manifold. Instead of the engine heat rising and dissipating as best as possible it is trapped under the cover and forced into the manifold. Cadillac added the full cover, in my best assumption, to help eliminate valve train noise to retain the Cadillac "feel". If it wasn't for that purpose, say for aesthetics only, then they would have put on the thinner Corvette type rail covers...

Perhaps others will disagree but I think most of the guys who are performance minded and understand the benefits of the coolest densest charge available would tend to agree.

repenttokyo
01-27-11, 10:41 AM
i am just not convinced that plastic is that good of an insulator. i would like to see some before and after numbers, if anyone has them.

CancerJCC
01-27-11, 03:20 PM
i am just not convinced that plastic is that good of an insulator. i would like to see some before and after numbers, if anyone has them.

Oh me to. I love to see quantifiable data versus some guys opinion on the internet. To me its a no brainer though as IMHO you are losing nothing by removing and possibly gaining by removing.

V-Guy
01-27-11, 05:11 PM
To me its a no brainer though as IMHO you are losing nothing by removing and possibly gaining by removing.

You are absolutely right - but it's so CUTE!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/71938d1296166253-coolant-leak-diagnosis-help-dscn0809.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/71939d1296166455-coolant-leak-diagnosis-help-dscn0810.jpg

V-Guy
01-27-11, 05:16 PM
Sorry - thread jack over now.