: Took delivery six years ago today. How many original owners on here?

rand49er
01-21-11, 12:05 PM
Yup. January 21, 2005, I took delivery of my car with about 54 miles on it and began chiming in on this forum. Since then, I've "chimed" nearly 10k times. Don't hear much from most of those old timers from back then ... LOTS of newbies, now.

Who's an original owner?

Houdini
01-21-11, 12:43 PM
Wish I could say I've enjoyed my V that long..... I'm jealous

tweeter81
01-21-11, 01:19 PM
I bought my 2004 V new in March of 2005 (just before graduating from college), so almost 6 years of ownership. It had about 70 miles on it at that time. I joined up to these forums shortly after and have been here just about every day since joining.

I have about 35,000 awesome, beautiful miles on my V (street, carshows, and road course use) and don't think I will ever be able to trade her off. I really want a C6 Z06, but I won't sell "Midnight Rider" to get one.

Long live the V1!!!

thebigjimsho
01-21-11, 01:37 PM
Damn, Randy! I thought you counted wrong! I was thinking it should be 5. And then I realized May 27th would be 7(!!!) years since I bought my V1. I still can't believe I'm well into year 2 of my V2...

cvettr/cts-v
01-21-11, 02:41 PM
I bought my 06 new in may of 2007 with just over 200 miles on it. Now it has just under 11,500 miles so don't drive it much but love it when i do.

Castro
01-21-11, 03:08 PM
So what were they like brand new? Clunkless?

rand49er
01-21-11, 03:14 PM
Damn, Randy! I thought you counted wrong! I was thinking it should be 5. And then I realized May 27th would be 7(!!!) years since I bought my V1. I still can't believe I'm well into year 2 of my V2...Yeah, I remember coming on having never really been on any forums before. You, CVP, Dreamin, Wldwhl, and so many more guys ... it was fun figuring out the culture on here back then. It's changed, and so far in not a bad way me thinks, just different some how.

So what were they like brand new? Clunkless?Yeah, I think they were "clunkless" actually ... at least the first several hundred miles or so.

ronr
01-21-11, 03:17 PM
Got my '04 new in April of '04. p.s. Randy, I still need to stop by and let you drive mine with the new transmission :stirpot:

rand49er
01-21-11, 03:44 PM
Got my '04 new in April of '04. p.s. Randy, I still need to stop by and let you drive mine with the new transmission :stirpot::rant2:

Don't know how I could've not listed you, Ron. Must be I'm avoiding you.

heavymetals
01-21-11, 04:31 PM
I still have mine.

Purchased Oct 04.

Bought an 05 which was really an 04 with a different date (still had most of the bugs).

rand49er
01-21-11, 04:40 PM
I still have mine.

Purchased Oct 04.

Bought an 05 which was really an 04 with a different date (still had most of the bugs).When was yours manufactured?

Mine was in Nov '04 and didn't have the "bugs" other than the diff, of course.

Bob T
01-21-11, 05:24 PM
I am the original owner for 5 years now with about 55,000 miles and going strong. I love the car and put Michelin Alpins on in the winter.

heavymetals
01-21-11, 05:34 PM
When was yours manufactured?

Diff went in less then six months (cracked and leaking).

Radiator never leaked.

No XM Radio traffic (even though it was advertised) and not retrofit-able.

LS6! (so at least I can steal parts to or from Mr. Vette).

robertb
01-21-11, 06:20 PM
Bought my 04 new in August 04. After driving a friends around the block I was hooked! 86k miles, dd, and going strong. Original diff, but on my 3rd set of rotors, and 5th set of brake pads (track days, not riding my brakes).

Robert

tweeter81
01-21-11, 07:03 PM
When was yours manufactured?

I think my car was a late '04 build, but I haven't had a lot of the problems that many guys on the forum have. I never had peeling NAV buttons, but did have a radiator replaced for leaking around the 15,000 mile mark. My C-pillar sail panels come loose after driving fast with the windows down and that was easily fixed. Lastly, I had my original diff replaced at about 14,000 miles for whining (not an actual failure). Other than those couple of things (which never left me stranded by the way), I haven't had any other problems. This car is (and hopefully will continue to be) the most reliable vehichle I have ever had.

darkman
01-21-11, 08:04 PM
Original owner - picked up my '05 twenty-two hundred and fify-one days ago - but who's counting?

rand49er
01-22-11, 03:29 PM
Original owner - picked up my '05 twenty-two hundred and fify-one days ago - but who's counting?Too lazy to do the math. What does that convert to?

Gordy Petrovski
01-22-11, 08:08 PM
5yrs & 110,312 supercharged miles later,I still look forward to driving her every day.

darkman
01-22-11, 09:06 PM
Too lazy to do the math. What does that convert to?

Fifty four thousand and twenty-four hours.

rand49er
01-22-11, 09:36 PM
5yrs & 110,312 supercharged miles later,I still look forward to driving her every day.Geez, is that a record for maggied miles? I'd be willing to bet two bits it is!

Fifty four thousand and twenty-four hours.That helps a bunch :helpless:

kevm14
01-22-11, 09:38 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=54024+hours+to+years

Sweet.

darkman
01-22-11, 09:42 PM
That helps a bunch :helpless:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Purchase date November 23, 2004 - 6 years and 2 months now.

Black Sunshine
01-23-11, 07:00 AM
Picked mine up early Dec. 2006 @ Spence Cadillac with ~400 miles on it.
My third son recently turned four years young and we're bumpin' 176K miles.
40K miles - Rear end rebuilt (warranty)
70K miles - Replaced headlights (warranty)
103K miles - Transmission rebuilt (reverse gear) RPM Stage V w/ LS7 FW
165K miles - Replaced original radiator cooling fans (motors), serpentine belt, thermostat and coolant
174K miles - Transmission rebuilt (6th gear), Replaced original shocks, Replaced original motor mounts, Replaced original rear end, Replaced original brake rotors, Installed sixth set of tires, Installed 4th set of windshield wipers
Life long owner.

liqidvenom
01-24-11, 03:34 PM
good to see those guys who have bought it new and put alot of miles on the car.

shame on the rest of you guys who seem to be averaging something like 1-3k miles per year.

Gene... thats a respectable car, how is it all holding up today?

Black Sunshine
01-24-11, 04:06 PM
The car is running fantastic with the recent updated tune. I'm still getting used to the 3.42's in the rear but, Man PLEASE!, does it pull nice and hard. Plus it's nice to actually use first gear. The paint is chipped here and there and the windshield is pretty well pock marked from all the highway driving but the Zaino still makes it look respectable. I seem to have caught up on all the major "maintenance" issues for a little while and I'm just enjoying driving a great car and suprising the occasional challenger.

NJMCTSV
02-17-11, 01:03 PM
I still have mine.

Purchased Oct 04.

Bought an 05 which was really an 04 with a different date (still had most of the bugs).

I took delivery of my '05 in June of 2004 and have never looked back! BTW, mine has 27,000 miles and does not whine or clunk (yet), but, although I drive it briskly, I don't do burn-outs. Minor mods, including having the stock wheels chromed, CAG's eliminator, custom mats, tinted windows. The car is still a head turner...... long live the V1!!

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 03:01 PM
I remember the early '04 had the oil temp gauge calibrated incorrectly and they would read too hot and the alarm would go off. I tried to have it recalibrated before I left on my 25 state/province, 3 1/2 week trip in August of '04. My local dealer couldn't get it done. I didn't think much of it as we set off.

In Seattle, it was 92 and bumper to bumper traffic set the alarm off for the first time. Well, we still had stays in California and Vegas with a drive through Death Valley so I tried again at a dealer in Oakland, CA. They almost borked it enough to need a new dashboard. Thankfully, that did not happen and it was successfully recalibrated.

That seemed like such a big deal then. I was such a V n00b...

Jbawden
02-17-11, 11:37 PM
I think I joined the board during the transition from OG posters to next generation, so I have a sense of how things are different. Picked up my thunder gray/light gray int '07 in March 2009 with 230 miles on it. Dealer got it in November 2006 and installed the FG2 (I can never get the code right, but the factory "performance shocks") and apparently it sat in the showroom and eventually on the lot until I stumbled across it (while looking for a G8 GXP). It now has 38,000 miles and it's proven to be a great car. In fact, it's the first car my wife said we can't sell, so I guess that means I can get a V2 without selling the V1?

CTSV_Rob
02-18-11, 03:20 AM
Picked mine up with <20 miles on her and I still drive it almost everyday. Bought it on Oct 23, 2006.

I give her a break every once in a while and take the cowboy Cadillac out for a spin. The V gets the Garage though!

ahahnu
02-18-11, 09:42 AM
I got mine on Nov. 25th 2004. I have 120,500 miles on it. Finally the weather broke around these parts and I'm going to change the oil and rear fluids today. Been so long since I've don it I almost forget all the steps. My car is slammed and a jack doesn't fit. Can get interesting, wish me luck. It's nice to see some OV's on here still.

rand49er
02-18-11, 12:09 PM
I got mine on Nov. 25th 2004. I have 120,500 miles on it. Finally the weather broke around these parts and I'm going to change the oil and rear fluids today. Been so long since I've don it I almost forget all the steps. My car is slammed and a jack doesn't fit. Can get interesting, wish me luck. It's nice to see some OV's on here still.Dang, am I ever tempted to take the cover off today, too. Sunny and dry. Well, except where the snow piles are melting and streaming across the roads.

My old jack didn't fit, so I found a low-profile jack ... clears about 4 inches. How close to the ground are you?

Koooop
02-18-11, 11:46 PM
I bought my '05 V in 12/04 from the original owner. 1,400 miles on the clock when I got her and I'm the second owner. Close, but not quite the original owner. I had a few of the original problems, peeling buttons, the sticky clutch, nav stuck in Michigan, radiator... Okay, I had several of the problems, but I still love this car at 65,000 miles!

Z06CADY
02-19-11, 12:36 PM
I bought in March of 2004 and it just turned 73,000 the other day. Went to Las Vegas two weeks ago (450 mi round trip) and averaged 26.4 MPG. I guess its broken in.

tweeter81
02-19-11, 01:01 PM
I bought in March of 2004 and it just turned 73,000 the other day. Went to Las Vegas two weeks ago (450 mi round trip) and averaged 26.4 MPG. I guess its broken in.

How sweet is that? You gotta love these cars, 400 HP, luxury, class, rarity, and great gas mileage to boot!

Koooop
02-19-11, 01:53 PM
At 65,000 miles I'm most of the way done with my 5th set of tires, they won't make 70k.

OzarksHillbilly
02-19-11, 11:56 PM
Bought my 2005 Stealth Gray new in August of that year, and am embarrassed to admit that I've put fewer than 14,000 miles on it. Still looks new inside and out, and it's still a thrill to drive. I just need to drive it more often.

Ak Jim
02-20-11, 05:16 AM
I bought my 05 V in October 06. I got it from an eBay auction just as I was leaving for a military deployment. The car was in Boston and my Mom and Dad went flew out from Iowa and picked the car up for me. My Dad arranged for the UUC flywheel and shifter, and Corsa exhaust to be installed in Des Moines while I was out of the country. I along with my 10 year old son flew down from Fairbanks to Minneapolis to pick the car up in April 07. We drove back to Fairbanks in four days. The first time I drove my car I went 880 miles. The second day was 660 then the last two days of the trip were each over 1000 miles each day. Today the car has just less than 30,000 miles.

whisler151
02-20-11, 09:36 AM
Original owner here. I bought my 07 in March of 07. 55k miles later still loving it.

ahahnu
02-20-11, 10:05 AM
Dang, am I ever tempted to take the cover off today, too. Sunny and dry. Well, except where the snow piles are melting and streaming across the roads.

My old jack didn't fit, so I found a low-profile jack ... clears about 4 inches. How close to the ground are you?

I wish I didn't have to drive in the bad weather. It's a catch 22, I get to drive it everyday, but there is 120,000 miles on it. I'm happy to report the oil and rear fluid change went well. I have to pull it up onto a 2x4, then I can squeeze a jack under it. To change the rear I back it up onto rhino ramps. I don't know how officially low it is...

Is it just me, or are there more Stealth OVs on here then any other color?

MikeV
02-20-11, 10:10 AM
You guys that have had the V's for a while I'm guessing they're paid off. That would seem to make for a nice downpayment on a V2.

rand49er
02-20-11, 01:51 PM
I wish I didn't have to drive in the bad weather. It's a catch 22, I get to drive it everyday, but there is 120,000 miles on it. I'm happy to report the oil and rear fluid change went well. I have to pull it up onto a 2x4, then I can squeeze a jack under it. To change the rear I back it up onto rhino ramps. I don't know how officially low it is...

Is it just me, or are there more Stealth OVs on here then any other color?Sounds like you're lowered more than 1". Don't think I could go that low.

At 120k, you're not the highest mileage V on here but certainly in the top ten I'd think. Out of curiosity, how's your oil consumption?

You guys that have had the V's for a while I'm guessing they're paid off. That would seem to make for a nice downpayment on a V2.Yup and yup. But, that means $800 a month payments again ... maybe bigger.

Just between you and me, I've got my eyes on a new ATS-V in a few years. Of course, I'd keep the CTS-V. Then I'd be sorta like tbjs ... well, sorta.

mberisha
02-20-11, 02:05 PM
At 65,000 miles I'm most of the way done with my 5th set of tires, they won't make 70k.

Nice....what tires do you run?

whisler151
02-20-11, 03:09 PM
I have to pull it up onto a 2x4, then I can squeeze a jack under it. To change the rear I back it up onto rhino ramps.

Same here.

ahahnu
02-20-11, 07:13 PM
Definitely lower then 1" I think 1.5 or 2. The oil consumption... I don't know. Never really noticed anything out of the ordinary. How could I tell? I don't check the stick too often. I guess I'll have to make a mental note to check it more. I always thought it was best to check it before the car is started and I never remember to do so. Since 100k I've been using 6.5 qts and switched to amsoil. I feel like I can tell a difference. It's so smooth right now after changing the fluids.

Whisler, your interstate story at unmentionable speeds will never be forgotten. I still give you props for that one.

I do have two complaints, three. One is a supper annoying rattle from under the ashtray. It's the plastic surrounding the ashtray to the gap right in front of the shifter. I've tried foam, and when I put my hand on it it stops. Two I have had a banging from I think my front sway bar for about three years. Someone on here mentioned it might be upside down... I really only hear it in the cold so I'ts killing me right now, and three the oil pressure sensor, that's been on the fritz for a few years.

rand49er
02-20-11, 09:43 PM
I've got no. 3. As soon as it gets to be 45*, I'm gonna fix that sucker.

1.5-2"? Dang! That's low indeed! I can see someone from Kansas that low, but anywhere else ... !

Sounds like your oil consumption isn't a problem. Typical LS6.

When the heck are you coming out here again? I think you and Twitch ought to come out here in August to the Dream Cruise. I'm gonna put a big push on a bunch of guys this year. You game?

Koooop
02-21-11, 12:38 AM
Nice....what tires do you run?

Started with the Supercars, then to Dunlop Direzza (they sucked), then Goodyear GSD3, then Michellin PS2, now Hankook Ventus V12. I'll probably stick with the Hankooks, they seem to be the best of the bunch. The PS2 is a an awesome tire, the Hankook is about as good as the PS2 dry but the the Hankook is SO MUCH BETTER IN THE WET!

ahahnu
02-22-11, 10:22 AM
1.5-2"? Dang! That's low indeed! I can see someone from Kansas that low, but anywhere else ... !

When the heck are you coming out here again? I think you and Twitch ought to come out here in August to the Dream Cruise. I'm gonna put a big push on a bunch of guys this year. You game?

Sounds mighty tempting. It's something I've wanted to do for a few years. I always read HOTRODs coverage and would be neat to check it out. We'll have to keep the lines of communication open for that one!

Being low adds some interesting moments, like trying to go up a curb cut into a drive way or something and going up on three wheels....

rand49er
02-22-11, 01:36 PM
... Being low adds some interesting moments, like trying to go up a curb cut into a drive way or something and going up on three wheels....Yup. That's what you call a good anti-sway bar.

CTSV_Rob
02-23-11, 12:02 AM
Started with the Supercars, then to Dunlop Direzza (they sucked), then Goodyear GSD3, then Michellin PS2, now Hankook Ventus V12. I'll probably stick with the Hankooks, they seem to be the best of the bunch. The PS2 is a an awesome tire, the Hankook is about as good as the PS2 dry but the the Hankook is SO MUCH BETTER IN THE WET!
Still running the GSD3's and I was thinking of going to the PS2's next.

Well I'll be, the hankook Ventus V12 comes in 285/35ZR19. I may need to take a closer look at these tires.

rand49er
02-23-11, 09:00 AM
Anybody try the Continental Extreme Contact DWs?

(Dang! I just jacked my own thread!)

Z06CADY
02-23-11, 11:07 PM
I have been runnig them (Continentals) for 10k miles now and like them a lot. Very good in the rain and I think they came with a 40,000 mile warranty. Probably buy them again.

Koooop
02-23-11, 11:14 PM
Still running the GSD3's and I was thinking of going to the PS2's next.

Well I'll be, the hankook Ventus V12 comes in 285/35ZR19. I may need to take a closer look at these tires.

The PS2 might last longer, they make you feel like Superman. The Hankook is MUCH better wet, quiter ride and does not transmit road feel like the PS2. It's a tough call until you look at the price.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 05:53 PM
Everytime I step into this forum, I want to start looking for another V1...

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 10:06 PM
You guys that have had the V's for a while I'm guessing they're paid off. That would seem to make for a nice downpayment on a V2.
Yep! In the worst way possible...

thebigjimsho
02-24-11, 10:08 PM
Doit!

CTSV_Rob
02-24-11, 10:20 PM
Good car and you enjoyed it... Seems like a good choice!

rand49er
02-24-11, 11:33 PM
Everytime I step into this forum, I want to start looking for another V1...For <$20k, you could be a playa again.

JimmyH
02-25-11, 12:00 PM
I know, unfortunately, with only one income, and four mouths to feed...

just waiting for the wife to go back to work so I can afford another toy. As much as I miss the V1, and appreciate the raw simplicity, that V coupe is looking damn sexy. But then, so is the ZL1.

ahahnu
02-27-11, 12:21 AM
Yep! In the worst way possible...

Are you still the only "gentleman" with both?

rand49er
02-27-11, 04:49 PM
Are you still the only "gentleman" with both?Speaking of "both," would I ever love to get one of the new ATS-Vs while retaining my V1. They're smaller than a V1 with yet-to-be-determined but supposedly significant performance. Coming in 2013 I think? V2s, while certainly fast, just seem a bit big to me.

thebigjimsho
02-27-11, 06:44 PM
Are you still the only "gentleman" with both?
Dunno. But I am a gentleman and a scholar...

JimmyH
02-27-11, 07:07 PM
Rumour is that the ATS-V will have a NA V8, around 430 hp. LS3 I am guessing, or something similar.

rand49er
02-27-11, 09:28 PM
Rumour is that the ATS-V will have a NA V8, around 430 hp. LS3 I am guessing, or something similar.Yeah, I heard that, too. Also heard turbo V-6 was more likely ... R&T I think said that. Whatever. Needs 400+ hp for sure.

"Rumour?" You Canadian, Jimmy?

Dunno. But I am a gentleman and a scholar...Meh.

JimmyH
02-27-11, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I heard that, too. Also heard turbo V-6 was more likely ... R&T I think said that. Whatever. Needs 400+ hp for sure.

"Rumour?" You Canadian, Jimmy?

Meh.

I don't know. I always type it that way. I have no idea why.

In this age of "ecoboost" an FI V6 would not surprise me. I am still waiting to hear more about the turbo and super-charged engine GM has been working on.

Koooop
02-27-11, 10:06 PM
V6 is For The Woman.

JimmyH
02-27-11, 10:18 PM
V6 is going to be for the hot rodder when gas hits $7/gal and CAFE hits 45.

rand49er
02-28-11, 06:37 AM
V6 is For The Woman.Yeah, but it seems inevitable. They just don't have the right exhaust sound, you know?

Still, forced induction, direct injection, variable valve timing, four valves per cylinder all could make for a powerful little motor. If it can conquer the desire for low-end torque (like we enjoy in our wonderful small blocks), it could be a winner. A vehicle significantly below about 3,500 lbs would help, too.

liqidvenom
02-28-11, 11:58 AM
I would prob like the idea of a twin turbo v6, maybe even more then a ls3 if the platform is solid. The ability to mod it would be pretty simple. More so if its all forged and just begging for more boost. and keep it light. like 135 weight.

JimmyH
02-28-11, 02:08 PM
That's the cost of progress. For example, the new Camaro LT is almost as fast in a straight line as the last Z28. Throw a few curves in their, the Z28 is gone.

I miss the sound of a V8. But unless someone finds an ocean of free crude in this country, V8's are going bye-bye.

rand49er
02-28-11, 02:55 PM
Not sure how this multi-quote thing works now. Hm-m ... :banghead:

Anyway, I agree with the twin-turbo design on a V6. If the motor is built to take it, it wouldn't be difficult to increase the boost and retune to get significantly improved performance. (Dang, I told myself I wasn't going to mod the next car. :annoyed:)

As far as oil goes, there's still lots and lots of it out there. Trouble is, the global warming crowd won't let us pump it out. I'm all for diverting wealth away from the volatile Middle East, but not getting our own is just putting more money into the Saudi's pockets. What could a twin-turbo V6 car weighing 3400-3500 lbs get, anyway? 20 City/30 Hwy?

JimmyH
02-28-11, 03:04 PM
there is indeed lots of it left. But it's all outside our borders. And the stuff that is inside our borders is too expensive to extract. Or at least that is what they tell us.

I hope I am wrong, but in the coming years, I think there is going to political pressure on car manufacturers to get rid of the big, high performance engines. If you want to see the sports car of the future, look to Tesla. As soon as they figure out multi-speed transmissions for electric motors, and more economical batteries (the two main roadblocks right now) the electric hot rod is going to blow everything else away.

liqidvenom
02-28-11, 06:51 PM
Not sure how this multi-quote thing works now. Hm-m ... :banghead:

Anyway, I agree with the twin-turbo design on a V6. If the motor is built to take it, it wouldn't be difficult to increase the boost and retune to get significantly improved performance. (Dang, I told myself I wasn't going to mod the next car. :annoyed:)

As far as oil goes, there's still lots and lots of it out there. Trouble is, the global warming crowd won't let us pump it out. I'm all for diverting wealth away from the volatile Middle East, but not getting our own is just putting more money into the Saudi's pockets. What could a twin-turbo V6 car weighing 3400-3500 lbs get, anyway? 20 City/30 Hwy?
prob close to that, it would depend on how gm would tune the car.

there is indeed lots of it left. But it's all outside our borders. And the stuff that is inside our borders is too expensive to extract. Or at least that is what they tell us.

I hope I am wrong, but in the coming years, I think there is going to political pressure on car manufacturers to get rid of the big, high performance engines. If you want to see the sports car of the future, look to Tesla. As soon as they figure out multi-speed transmissions for electric motors, and more economical batteries (the two main roadblocks right now) the electric hot rod is going to blow everything else away.

Tesla has a pretty crappy rep as far as being a auto manf goes. they get alot of credit yet are not able to keep the vehicles they build on the road or in the hands of those who want them.

also i think the oil within our boarders could be pulled using the newer drilling techniques we have today. but have you seen what happens to the places where oil production goes down? you wouldnt want that going on anywhere near where you live. thats prob why the off shore drilling is the big push because you can get oil and if there is a mistake only the eco people would care while average americans would not give a crap. imagine if what happened in the gulf went down in kansas or something.... it would have had a serious impact on the oil industry.

JimmyH
02-28-11, 07:02 PM
I didn't mean to imply Tesla was the future. I meant that type of car is. Tesla can't even build anything. The Tesla is a cobbled together science experiment. But show me another company that has the balls to cobble together a car like that and sell it. I don't see any electric sports cars coming from Chevy or Nissan. That German company (I forget their name) has yet to get theirs off the ground.

As for drilling here, the only reason it is isn't happening is because is it not economically feasible. The gulf? Ha. What happened to Louisiana was 100x worse, and no one, including Washington, gave a crap about them.

I love big, powerful, fossil-fueled engines as much as you. But they are living on borrowed time. It may not happen in my lifetime, but they will be replaced. Just like the steam engine was. Once they are, people will wonder why they hell we ever used them. It's the transition that is going to suck.

kevm14
02-28-11, 07:13 PM
imagine if what happened in the gulf went down in kansas or something.... it would have had a serious impact on the oil industry.

Well the irony of that disaster was that if they weren't forced to drill so damn far off shore, they would have had far more control over the situation if it did arise. If they had their choice based solely on economics I really don't think BP would have had that rig there in the first place. Of course, if you're a certain kind of person, every issue, including sociopolitical, is really an economic one at heart...

Koooop
02-28-11, 07:43 PM
V6 turbo motors are fun, but I have no interest in them.

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 10:10 AM
That's the cost of progress. For example, the new Camaro LT is almost as fast in a straight line as the last Z28. Throw a few curves in their, the Z28 is gone.

I miss the sound of a V8. But unless someone finds an ocean of free crude in this country, V8's are going bye-bye.
Please, when my '04 regularly could get 26mpg on the highway? That's not going away anytime soon. The 6.2 LS motor is supposed to be supplanted by a 5.5 liter with all the new tricks. Direct injection, variable valve timing, stuff like that. To me, if we're already boosting LS motors, why not go small V8? Maybe a forged 5.0 with direct injection, etc and running higher boost.

Heck, I'd love for Lotus or Yamaha to get a hold of an LS motor and let's recreate LT5 magic...

JimmyH
03-01-11, 12:53 PM
I hope you are right. i do not think you are.

rand49er
03-01-11, 01:34 PM
... To me, if we're already boosting LS motors, why not go small V8? Maybe a forged 5.0 with direct injection, etc and running higher boost. ...That would be a GREAT interim step. Cubes are definitely going to get reduced, but there're a lot of tricks to throw at these smaller motors. Thank goodness the racing community exists where most of these tricks have their genesis.

JimmyH
03-01-11, 02:54 PM
Those tricks are great, but they cost $$$. The prices of today's cars are already getting out of hand. I would love to get a V coupe. But $70k? That hurts. I don't owe much more than that on my house.

thebigjimsho
03-01-11, 03:34 PM
Those tricks are great, but they cost $$$. The prices of today's cars are already getting out of hand. I would love to get a V coupe. But $70k? That hurts. I don't owe much more than that on my house.
It's called inflation. Factor that in and we're getting better bang for the buck than ever before...

JimmyH
03-01-11, 05:38 PM
It doesn't change the fact that I can't afford one.

ahahnu
03-01-11, 06:07 PM
Heck, I'd love for Lotus or Yamaha to get a hold of an LS motor and let's recreate LT5 magic...

I know it's not exactly the same but:

http://www.venomgt.com/

JimmyH
03-01-11, 06:17 PM
It's nothing at all like those old Frankensteins because I would be terrified of getting even a scratch on that car.

kevm14
03-01-11, 07:57 PM
when my '04 regularly could get 26mpg on the highway

Mine seems to be more like 24 on the highway and that's only if it's flat and I'm driving under 75 and NEVER hit the gas.

JimmyH
03-01-11, 08:04 PM
26 does seem quite optimistic, especially with the mods you had. I could get about 25 if I worked for it.

rand49er
03-01-11, 09:24 PM
24.3/24.4 at a cruise control setting of 65 MPH all the way to V-Day I and back with my mods.

JimmyH
03-01-11, 10:54 PM
I don't think I am ever getting another V anyway. By the time finances allow another toy, it will be time to start saving for college. Why did I have kids?

mberisha
03-02-11, 03:22 AM
I don't think I am ever getting another V anyway. By the time finances allow another toy, it will be time to start saving for college. Why did I have kids?

College....have them kids take out student loans....and buy another toy....

rand49er
03-02-11, 07:31 AM
I had toys way back when (GTO, Corvette), then went for years with nothing really with kids growing up. Jimmy, it'll happen again. Once you appreciate performance you'll always appreciate performance. You'll be back.

Heck, maybe I'll put you in my will for my V.

Naw ... I'm taking it with me.

JimmyH
03-02-11, 08:31 PM
I hope so. Driving a fast car doesn't really thrill me though. Maybe I need to get something to autocross with. No time or money for that either, though.

ahahnu
03-02-11, 08:40 PM
Something about this made me think of Urby and his incident a few days after taking delivery. I'll never get that rim digging into the pavement picture out of my head.

Koooop
03-03-11, 12:44 AM
The day I picked up my V (late 2004) I let my Dad drive it to my house from purchase. After about 10 miles of him driving like a mad man he finally realized he torched my parking brake. I hadn't even driven it yet.

Houdini
03-03-11, 07:01 AM
^LMAO ouch.

kevm14
03-03-11, 08:21 AM
24.3/24.4 at a cruise control setting of 65 MPH all the way to V-Day I and back with my mods.

I wonder if 05s really do get a little worse mileage as per the EPA ratings. I don't think they changed anything, but SOMETHING caused the ratings to be worse.

JimmyH
03-03-11, 04:09 PM
I wonder if 05s really do get a little worse mileage as per the EPA ratings. I don't think they changed anything, but SOMETHING caused the ratings to be worse.

Manufactures can and do revise ratings from time to time. Even though the fuel economy does not physically change, the rating might. EPA makes revisions from time to time as well. There was a major change in the ratings, I think, for the 2008 model year.

JimmyH
03-03-11, 04:10 PM
Something about this made me think of Urby and his incident a few days after taking delivery. I'll never get that rim digging into the pavement picture out of my head.

into the archives again

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/sig/urby.gif

And unless I am mistaken, it happened on the way home from the dealership the day he bought it.

ahahnu
03-03-11, 07:35 PM
YES! YES! In de face! Jimmy, that's great. Brings tears to the eyes for two reasons. Thank you sir.

Jon
03-03-11, 10:14 PM
I'm still around

Mystical_Ice
03-04-11, 01:45 AM
Got mine July 4th, 2007, so going on 4 years here in a few months. Of course I bought used, but i've been frequenting these forums since ~2004 or early 2005 i think :)

thebigjimsho
03-04-11, 02:50 PM
I'm still around
Who are you?

thebigjimsho
03-04-11, 02:51 PM
Got mine July 4th, 2007, so going on 4 years here in a few months. Of course I bought used, but i've been frequenting these forums since ~2004 or early 2005 i think :)
If only there were some way to find out! Something like a Join Date stat that was easily locatable...

whisler151
03-04-11, 02:52 PM
If only there were some way to find out! Something like a Join Date stat that was easily locatable...

Hmmm...

thebigjimsho
03-04-11, 02:59 PM
indeed.

Jon
03-04-11, 03:51 PM
Who are you?

N00bs.... ;)

JimmyH
03-04-11, 04:43 PM
Who are you?

He's the guy who ditched us in Detroit.

JimmyH
03-04-11, 04:43 PM
He's a smart guy :D

Andringa
03-04-11, 04:44 PM
Can some of you original members tell the story of Urbanski I tried searching for the story to go with the picture that JimmyH posted and I couldn't find it. I just found a bunch of posts where people were making fun on Urbanski for wrecking his car like 3 times or something.

JimmyH
03-04-11, 04:47 PM
He bought his V. On the drive home from picking up his V, he lost control and hit a barricade. Those photos are the aftermath. The animation was my way of making fun of him. At some point he became a moderator. Then, for some strange reason, Sal knighted him as an administrator. The great urBANski. (get it?) He spent way too much time here, and burned out on it.
I met up with him on a business trip I made in Texas. He is a strange bird, but a great person. We miss him.

rand49er
03-04-11, 04:54 PM
... He is a strange bird ...Wasn't he also a weightlifter?

"Strange bird?" A caddy forum mod? :bigroll:

Andringa
03-04-11, 04:56 PM
Thanks Jimmy, I just read a post from him that said he had the car for 2 miles , 5 minutes before he had that accident that's painful to read.

JimmyH
03-04-11, 04:58 PM
He is active on some bodybuilding forum somewhere. i forget which one. I wonder if he ever browses here as a guest. If you are out there urby, we are all pissed that you turned your over-flexed back on us :lol: Let the 'roids users get along on their own and come back to the caddy forums!

Of course, I doubt he has the V anymore. He was talking about getting a Porsche.

ahahnu
03-04-11, 07:37 PM
Urby's pics are on wrecked exotics. There's a pic of a V with a huge hole in the windshield / roof from a deer!

Koooop
03-04-11, 08:09 PM
Don't believe that stuff, Urbanski had a sex change and was run off the forum.

thebigjimsho
03-04-11, 09:10 PM
I miss Tiffany...

rand49er
03-04-11, 10:31 PM
... He was talking about getting a Porch.Fixed.

As much as I miss some of the old crowd, it's great to have the noobs bringing new personalities in here to replace the old guard. Seems to come in waves for whatever reason.

I still miss dannystang's avatar. :crying2:

Jon
03-05-11, 02:19 AM
He's the guy who ditched us in Detroit.

I'm the guy that's gone back every year since then.... Only to be stood up by you guys :(

JimmyH
03-05-11, 12:11 PM
oops

JimmyH
03-05-11, 12:13 PM
As much as I miss some of the old crowd, it's great to have the noobs bringing new personalities in here to replace the old guard.

As long as they play nice. So play nice people. I come here to spam, not to have to be the grownup :D I want to be a ToysRUs kid.

thebigjimsho
03-06-11, 12:40 AM
I want to be a toysnob kid...

thebigjimsho
03-06-11, 12:41 AM
I'm the guy that's gone back every year since then.... Only to be stood up by you guys :(
Unveil a new V and they will come...

wut?

cum?

that was awful...

Cadillac6sp
03-06-11, 04:36 PM
My '07 was bought a little more than 3 years ago. I am the original owner, yet it was a demo/executive car as they were hard to find in dealer inventory. 38k miles on it now..

JimmyH
03-06-11, 05:05 PM
Toysnob ftl. Gergreg ftw.

thebigjimsho
03-06-11, 11:05 PM
Toysnob ftl. Gergreg ftw.
They were both tools.

JimmyH
03-07-11, 02:48 PM
but they provided crowd pleasing entertainment.

Jon
03-07-11, 06:19 PM
Unveil a new V and they will come...

V Coupe was unveiled there last year, what's your excuse? :p

rand49er
03-07-11, 09:02 PM
... toysnob ...THAT was epic. I think the guy shriveled up and melted into the fabric of time.

Unveil a new V and they will come ...ATS-V ftw.

12race
03-08-11, 07:08 PM
Bought my 06', 12/23/06 (My Christmas stocking stuffer) - it was an executive program care with 2,500 miles on it. Just turned 50,000 over the weekend while doing my first track day at Road Atlanta. The V is an awesome car, and performed great. I was a "D" group first timer, and my instructor wanted to move me to "C" group on the second day.

BTW - would like to give a plug for the Goodrich KDW's I am running. Great wet and dry tire. This past weekend day 1 was pouring rain and standing water on the track and was impressed with grip and traction. Day 2, dry track and dialing in the line turned a 1:40 lap. If you have never done Road Atlanta, or ever plan on it, going under the bridge into turn 12 is a MAJOR pucker factor. Blind down hill accelerating turn. My best lap time, had the line perfect and hit 107 on the front straight.

With the engine work performed by Vegeance Racing out of Cumming GA , putting 400 HP/TQ to the wheels. Hope to make it to a Vday if Lindsey keeps organizing them.

rand49er
03-08-11, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a good time. Plus, it sounds like you're driving skills are pretty good, too.

Another V-Day will be great. Would love to go ... we'll see.

V-Guy
03-09-11, 09:30 AM
Another V-Day will be great. Would love to go ... we'll see.

You should drive down to our meet in Indy next month!

thebigjimsho
03-09-11, 11:43 AM
Bought my 06', 12/23/06 (My Christmas stocking stuffer) - it was an executive program care with 2,500 miles on it. Just turned 50,000 over the weekend while doing my first track day at Road Atlanta. The V is an awesome car, and performed great. I was a "D" group first timer, and my instructor wanted to move me to "C" group on the second day.

BTW - would like to give a plug for the Goodrich KDW's I am running. Great wet and dry tire. This past weekend day 1 was pouring rain and standing water on the track and was impressed with grip and traction. Day 2, dry track and dialing in the line turned a 1:40 lap. If you have never done Road Atlanta, or ever plan on it, going under the bridge into turn 12 is a MAJOR pucker factor. Blind down hill accelerating turn. My best lap time, had the line perfect and hit 107 on the front straight.

With the engine work performed by Vegeance Racing out of Cumming GA , putting 400 HP/TQ to the wheels. Hope to make it to a Vday if Lindsey keeps organizing them.First time I ever did a track day was at Road Atlanta in my SHO. Indeed, I don't think I could ever go more than 7/10ths into turn 12...

12race
03-09-11, 03:03 PM
Big Jim - I know from your postings you have significant track experience, of all the tracks you have been on, how would you rate Road ATL? Also, are most V-days at VIR?

thebigjimsho
03-09-11, 03:26 PM
Big Jim - I know from your postings you have significant track experience, of all the tracks you have been on, how would you rate Road ATL? Also, are most V-days at VIR?
I wish V-day was at VIR but they are at Summit Point. Still good. As for Road Atlanta, that is probably my 2nd favorite to VIR.

rand49er
03-09-11, 05:22 PM
You should drive down to our meet in Indy next month!If I was single, I'd be there.

As it is, my chain doesn't go very far ... and it doesn't even go there very often.

LAYGO
04-27-11, 01:43 AM
i know it's not exactly the same but:

http://www.venomgt.com/

gaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Boosted Bitch
04-27-11, 12:55 PM
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

Figured id say hi,

yep im a noobie first time poster picking up a 07 V TONIGHT! Im so excited itll be my DD and a wonderful change from my high HP civics :p, iv wanted to purchase a V years ago unfortunately had a bad motorcycle accident in May 07.

But, here i am. Parked my little rice rocket for the year to test out and have some fun with the V. Wish me Luck!

Counting down, T-4:28.45sec....:D

thebigjimsho
04-27-11, 02:04 PM
Congrats, Bitch!

Ah, I loved saying that...

rand49er
04-27-11, 03:33 PM
Holy smokes! My thread has morphed into a combo introduction/lounge thread!

Oh, Bitch ... congrats, you lucky dog, you!

JimmyH
04-27-11, 04:22 PM
:spam:

thebigjimsho
04-27-11, 06:30 PM
:spam:
You're just pissed you were welcomed here with a wheelwrap and silver poofy plastic beatdown...

JimmyH
04-27-11, 07:09 PM
well, we can't all spam our way to infamy like you

JohnnySpagz
04-27-11, 08:15 PM
For those of you who bought your V1 new - did you buy or lease and buy at the end of the lease? I am picking up a new V Coupe on Saturday - will not be my daily driver - and plan on keeping it for a long time (well that is what I tell myself now :) I just dont know if a finance or lease is the best route for this situation.

Boosted Bitch
04-27-11, 08:34 PM
lols...thanks guys.

Finally brought her home today, its a peppy car no doubt, lol.

ahahnu
04-27-11, 08:56 PM
Another V-Day will be great. Would love to go ... we'll see. And, how's that going?

rand49er
04-27-11, 09:52 PM
For those of you who bought your V1 new - did you buy or lease and buy at the end of the lease? I am picking up a new V Coupe on Saturday - will not be my daily driver - and plan on keeping it for a long time (well that is what I tell myself now :) I just dont know if a finance or lease is the best route for this situation.If you can write the lease payments off against income, then I'd think it's a no-brainer to lease. Otherwise, if you're going to keep it for a lengthy period (>~5 yrs), I'd think buying it is the best way to go. In between, I'd have to sit down and run some numbers.

Koooop
04-27-11, 10:33 PM
Cash 'n carry.

rand49er
04-28-11, 11:36 AM
Cash 'n :burn:.Fixed.

thebigjimsho
04-28-11, 09:23 PM
well, we can't all spam our way to infamy like you
I see you working hard to match my poast count...

rand49er
04-28-11, 10:20 PM
Even a mod can't match tbjs's poast count.

Well, unless they have the power to manipulate certain little pieces of data.

Hey, Jimmy, can you make me younger?

thebigjimsho
04-28-11, 10:22 PM
Someone just turned 62!

JimmyH
04-28-11, 10:46 PM
ha, if I could, do you think I would use that power on you? I'd be 18 again...Can you imagine, being 18 but having the knowledge you have now?

thebigjimsho
04-29-11, 09:35 AM
I would be invincible!

rand49er
04-29-11, 09:42 AM
ha, if I could, do you think I would use that power on you? I'd be 18 again...Can you imagine, being 18 but having the knowledge you have now?There's one advantage to being older that many don't know about. When I was 18, there were maybe 5% of the women that I thought were really attractive. I really don't think my standards have gone down since then (though I'm sure that's a very small part of it), but now, that percentage is like 80%. Life is very good, indeed!

Hey, Jimmy, I'd settle for, say 37 or 38.

thebigjimsho
04-29-11, 09:49 AM
Hey, that's me!

JimmyH
04-29-11, 03:43 PM
Don't know what to say there rand. Everyone who has met me, and my wife, will agree, I married WAAAAAYYYYYYY up.

rand49er
04-29-11, 03:54 PM
... Everyone who has met me, and my wife, will agree, I married WAAAAAYYYYYYY up.I feel the same way in my marriage. 'Tis great!

thebigjimsho
04-30-11, 01:07 AM
Don't know what to say there rand. Everyone who has met me, and my wife, will agree, I married WAAAAAYYYYYYY up.
No doubt...

Koooop
04-30-11, 12:57 PM
There's one advantage to being older that many don't know about. When I was 18, there were maybe 5% of the women that I thought were really attractive. I really don't think my standards have gone down since then (though I'm sure that's a very small part of it), but now, that percentage is like 80%. Life is very good, indeed!

Hey, Jimmy, I'd settle for, say 37 or 38.

Your standards probably have not dropped, it's the failing eyesight that comes with your advanced age that expands the playing field.