: 381 Cadillac head gasket jobs completed

edb150
01-21-11, 12:54 AM
I am happy to announce that Midwest Cadillac Repair in Illinois has saved 50 Cadillacs from the head gasket demons. We completed # 50 today, a 2005 deville. 51 and 52 are in the shop, a96 Deville and an 03 Deville. I will be discounting my labor on these job by 200.00 for any members needing head gaskets. www.midwestcadillacrepair.com
:thumbsup:[/I]

Pete1996
01-21-11, 12:58 AM
I don't think we'll be fixing our 1996 STS, trying to sell it as is, but I am curious what do you do when a car has high oil consumption due to the ring issue and also probably bottom end seals?

What is your typical cost for older cars say mid 1990s, or at least a base charge for the HGs, then adders for if it needs more?

edb150
01-21-11, 01:07 AM
1500 plus parts usually but 1300 for you as a member. Parts are around 500 so around 1800 to 2000 if it needs more. such extras would be the front motor mount, plugs, water pump, etc. My repair includes a reseal of the lower case and oil pan.Where are you located and what do you want for the car? 847 878 5676

Pete1996
01-21-11, 01:25 AM
We are in CT 06611, it is late now what are OK hours to call your number there?

maeng9981
01-21-11, 02:00 AM
Good work!! I need guys like you near my house..... hahaha

By the way, a 2005 Deville........................................... .... so the coarser thread head bolt wasn't the cure either?

edb150
01-21-11, 02:19 AM
the threads seemed ok only 1 was loose . I helped another shop with an 04 that had thread problems though. The head gaskets still fail even though the threads seem to hold.

studebaker
01-21-11, 08:59 AM
wish you guys were closer to Florida...

Studebaker

Ranger
01-21-11, 12:38 PM
A dubious distinction indeed Joe, but it's nice to know where the experience is if I ever need it. Keep up the good work.

JoeTahoe
01-21-11, 12:41 PM
congrats and good work!!

stoveguyy
01-22-11, 12:28 PM
well my brother has a 95 bmw 740 that had a new motor installed due to aluminum cylinder wear. factory defect issue. lucky he did not pay for it. that is more expensive than a caddy HG job.

wachuku
01-25-11, 03:21 AM
Hey edb150, congrats on 50!

I'm itching to get the HG's done on my '97 STS. I'm in Minnesota, and I've been trying to connect up with Manitoba but to no avail, so I'm beginning to look elsewhere.

I believe my car blew the gaskets at ~85K and was time-serted before I owned it. Now the HG's are blown again at ~150K; do you use the big bolts distributed by northstarperformance? (And if you use them, do you have any or can you get them?)

I have tentative plans for a truck and trailer to tow the car, please post back if you're interested in possibly arranging a repair time.

97EldoCoupe
01-25-11, 10:31 AM
Wachuku you are in St. Paul, correct? Please do me a favour and give me a call when you get a chance. If you can have the vehicle up in Manitoba in about 2 weeks or so, I can get it done immediately- if you cannot wait I fully understand; Joe is a great mechanic and probably not backed up quite as far as I am at this time. As a possible future distributor and installer of the stud kits I also do not want to become his competition.

204-304-6031 this is my cell, text me your number and I'll give you a call to save the long distance.

Thank you-

383 LT1 SS
01-25-11, 12:42 PM
Thanks for posting your information. I have saved your info and if I am in need of service I will be contacting you.

383 LT1 SS

stoveguyy
01-25-11, 01:08 PM
wachuku, your timeserts might still be ok. most assume a serted motor that fails needs bigserts next. could just be your gaskets. probably not. could pull heads and see but that is a tough job as well with motor in car.

edb150
01-26-11, 10:43 PM
Hey edb150, congrats on 50!

I'm itching to get the HG's done on my '97 STS. I'm in Minnesota, and I've been trying to connect up with Manitoba but to no avail, so I'm beginning to look elsewhere.

I believe my car blew the gaskets at ~85K and was time-serted before I owned it. Now the HG's are blown again at ~150K; do you use the big bolts distributed by northstarperformance? (And if you use them, do you have any or can you get them?)

I have tentative plans for a truck and trailer to tow the car, please post back if you're interested in possibly arranging a repair time.

Yes I can absolutely put suregrip studs in it for you. I have had No problems getting studs from Jake so let me know when you want to do it and I will order them up and have them waiting. Call anytime 847-878-5676

esoto66
02-28-11, 06:46 AM
I tow my 99 Deville with HG problem to Midwest Cadillac Repair yesterday. Can't wait to get it repair.

esoto66
03-08-11, 12:11 PM
Got my car back from Midwest Cadillac Repair, what a great experience. They even offer transportation from the airport to the shop and drove my car back 330miles to Northern KY with no problem, drove like a champ. Thanks again, Joe Blau

94CaddyConcours
03-08-11, 07:24 PM
Got my car back from Midwest Cadillac Repair, what a great experience. They even offer transportation from the airport to the shop and drove my car back 330miles to Northern KY with no problem, drove like a champ. Thanks again, Joe Blau
Nice 1 week turn around.

edb150
03-09-11, 10:02 PM
Thank you Edgar and your car was # 59. good luck with your deville it is one of the nicest we have worked on.

Destroyer
03-16-11, 12:20 AM
Impressive! Would have been nice if someone such as yourselves were around my neck of the woods before I basically gave away my Deville with bad H/G's. I applaud you. GM should be paying for these repairs though. You have done the job on '05's? I'm really not surprised because my gut told me the Northstars were all junk regardless of year but it should make others that keep talking of the '00-up models being "fixed" STFU. Again, congrats on your 50th build and thank you for offering a way out of a bad situation for many owners at a very reasonable price. The Cadillac and especially the Northstar community needs places like yours to go to. We now need a place like yours doing Jakes kit in Florida! I would buy a N* Caddy with a motor needing the repair and have someone like you do it up.

ThumperPup
03-16-11, 01:18 AM
Impressive! Would have been nice if someone such as yourselves were around my neck of the woods before I basically gave away my Deville with bad H/G's. I applaud you. GM should be paying for these repairs though. You have done the job on '05's? I'm really not surprised because my gut told me the Northstars were all junk regardless of year but it should make others that keep talking of the '00-up models being "fixed" STFU. Again, congrats on your 50th build and thank you for offering a way out of a bad situation for many owners at a very reasonable price. The Cadillac and especially the Northstar community needs places like yours to go to. We now need a place like yours doing Jakes kit in Florida! I would buy a N* Caddy with a motor needing the repair and have someone like you do it up.

why not buy it ship it and have it fixed ?
sometimes its truly that simple who knows there might even be one on ebay or CL In the Chicago area that is jaked up with bad HG's for cheap
buy it and just have it towed over to the shop
then fly up and drive it home

i wonder how many documented 04s and 05 northstars there are that have gone bad i know from the poll it stops at 03 so not sure whats up with that has no one here reproted a problem with an 04 or 05 yet ?

Ranger
03-16-11, 04:27 PM
it should make others that keep talking of the '00-up models being "fixed" STFU.
I don't EVER recall hearing anyone say that.

ben.gators
03-21-11, 07:15 AM
Nice job and good price....

llaramie
02-26-12, 09:37 PM
I own a 1996 Deville, and I have been removing exhaust from my coolant every morning since late October 2011.
I just open and close the coolant cap at ambient temperature. The Cadillac Dealer provided no solace with their price estimate to fix the issue.
The car runs normal otherwise. It overheated twice prior to my daily relieving of backpressure. I took two weeks to build up sufficient backpressure to stop the waterpump!

But since then, with me letting out the pressure each morning, not enough backpressure builds up to cause any issues.
I dont think i travel more than 40 miles between "burbs".
I live in Glenview, Il. Not too far from Palatine; so i think i will be giving Midwest Cadillac Repair a call this week.
I am leaning toward Sure Grip studs instead of Normserts. If you have any comments ahead of the time I call, they would be appreciated.

Ranger
02-26-12, 10:12 PM
I would bet that this thread title could be changed to 150 by now.

Submariner409
02-26-12, 10:38 PM
Curious that, in a cooling system where fluid pressure is equal at all points in the system (hydraulic principles), "backpressure" could stall a water pump.

What is the residual system pressure each morning ? (Assuming cold/cool coolant at startup, which then normally expands and creates pressure as part of a normal cooling system operating procedure. Thus your 16 psi reservoir cap which raises the coolant boil point to 265 or so degrees)

Ranger
02-26-12, 10:48 PM
Curious that, in a cooling system where fluid pressure is equal at all points in the system (hydraulic principles), "backpressure" could stall a water pump.

NO WAY! That didn't sound right to me either. First thing I thought was :hmm:

llaramie
02-27-12, 11:13 AM
i dont know the answer to your "residual-pressure" measurment question.
I do know that my mechanic found 20 ppm hydrocarbons in my coolant while the car was running hot.
I am not a mechanic.

I do know that the car got up to 260 degrees back in October,2011. The first time the waterpump/thermostat were replaced; the second time coolant just spilled over coolant and the car went back to normal operation.
I do know that there are supposed to be NO hydrocarbons in the cooling system--hydrocarbon gasses are a sure sign of blown headgasket/bolts..
I do know that backpressure at ambient temperature in the cooling system is a sign of blown headgasket/bolts.

Submariner409
02-27-12, 12:28 PM
i dont know the answer to your "residual-pressure" measurement question. Rent a system pressure test kit.

I do know that my mechanic found 20 ppm hydrocarbons in my coolant while the car was running hot. Not good

I am not a mechanic. By the time you get finished with this problem, you'll be close.............

I do know that the car got up to 260 degrees back in October,2011. The first time the waterpump/thermostat were replaced; the second time coolant just spilled over and the car went back to normal operation. Coolant level should be halfway up in the reservoir, cold. (Just sayin')

I do know that there are supposed to be NO hydrocarbons in the cooling system--hydrocarbon gasses are a sure sign of blown headgasket/bolts. Mostly true

I do know that backpressure at ambient temperature in the cooling system is a sign of blown headgasket/bolts Or possibly a bad pressure cap equalization valve

As far as studs go, things seem a bit disorganized in Jake's stud business - you may want to go with Norm's Inserts - www.huhnsolutions.com

Ranger
02-27-12, 12:29 PM
you are correct. The point we are making is that (excessive) pressure in the cooling system WILL NOT stop a water pump. The cooling system normally operated at 16-18 psi. A breached HG WILL over pressurize the cooling system, put hydrocarbons in the system and cause it to overheat and overflow.

vincentm
02-27-12, 01:54 PM
As far as studs go, things seem a bit disorganized in Jake's stud business - you may want to go with Norm's Inserts - www.huhnsolutions.com

Yea, not to take this off topic but I'm seeing and hearing complaints alot regarding Jake..

RippyPartsDept
02-27-12, 02:07 PM
i think he's due to begin shipping his kits real soon

the downtime no doubt will bring on complaints

----------

his website says (in an update from today) that there has been a death in the family and he'll be shutting down for a few days and that he expects to begin shipping again next week

ThumperPup
02-27-12, 05:45 PM
when ever anyone has to wait for anything longer then a week usualy is when complaints will start about anyone
hmm
we all know jake is having a real tough time and things seem to keep getting tuffer for him all the time
im not up to date on how things have been going for him
but wondering why hes not shipping at the moment i thought he got his machine up and running again and was cranking studs out end of last month hmmm

llaramie
02-27-12, 07:12 PM
I understand your point -- But where does the overheating come from, if not from a stalled pump?
If the pump was doing its job, every thing would be "cool" and the hydrocarbons would cause no harm.
I think that in two weeks time the accumulated backpressure causes an gap in the coolantflow that cant be overcome by the purge line, and the pump just stalls-- and the car overheats.

Please explain how you think the overheating happens with blown headgaskets?

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 12:36 AM
Overheating comes from pockets of air/exhaust that are much hotter than the coolant and as they pass the etc sensor the temp spikes. Eventually the overall temp rises to overheat temps and boils over. Then you're low on coolant.

maeng9981
02-28-12, 07:30 AM
At the early stages of failed HG, it will put air pockets into the system. If the air pocket passes through the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, causing an indication of false overheating (the air in the air pocket will be hotter than coolant). From time to time, it will eventually become worse and constantly inject exhaust gas into the system, causing the cooling system to be overheated and overpressurized. Overpressurized cooling system will try to relieve the pressure, eventually purging coolant out of the system. This will lead to low coolant condition and the car will actually be overheated.

Edit: Chris already answered that.... whooops :thepan:

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 12:19 PM
good full explanation there maeng... i was trying to be quick while waiting for the fire to die down at daytona... in between checking @keselowski's tweets from the back stretch parking lot 

llaramie
02-28-12, 05:41 PM
This all sounds good, Maeng; but the overheating only occurs if there is great pressure build up -- Then I have the a problem.

In my Deville, I surmised, The gasses accumulated over a two week period and even though the system is cold, The cooling system heats up almost immediately because there is no flow --- That is why i am attributing it all to a stalled water pump. As long as the gasses are circulating WITH the coolant (and being collected in the surge tank via purge line), there is no problem.
The slow gas buildup, over extended time, is what kills the Giant (Deville). I dont think that the gas buildup always stops the pump; sometimes the gasses escape thru the overflow, and everything reverts back to normal (less some coolant). But somtimes i think the water pump just stops. (Note: if you lose a 3/4 of a gallon of coolant, then your GM information system will tell you to ADD COOLANT--the vehicle can run normally with this much coolant missing.) Again, i am just expressing what makes sense to me--I am no mechanic.

Submariner409
02-28-12, 06:13 PM
The head gasket(s) leak for some reason, allowing exhaust gas into the coolant which overpressurizes the system, blows open the reservoir pressure cap (or blows a hose or cracks the reservoir) which then vents off coolant and gases, thus causing excessive loss of coolant leading to water pump cavitation which causes overheating.

The ECT sensor has nothing to do with this - UNTIL the temp starts to climb - THEN you get the screaming Mimi's. Matter of fact, it's entirely possible to get the "Check coolant level" message, rapid temp gauge rise, and "Engine overheated. Stop engine" message in the space of less than 30 seconds.

The water pump does not stop from "Backpressure" - it can't pump air, though..................

Ranger
02-28-12, 06:36 PM
But somtimes i think the water pump just stops.
The WP is driven by a belt attached to the intake cam. As long as the belt is attached and the belt tensioner is working, it can't "stop", unless the engine is stopped.

RippyPartsDept
02-28-12, 07:06 PM
sub... i thought that the exhaust gasses in the coolant would form air pockets and that those air pockets would cause temp spikes as they pass by the ect sensor

does that not happen until coolant is lost and there's not enough coolant in the system?

maeng9981
02-28-12, 08:31 PM
sub... i thought that the exhaust gasses in the coolant would form air pockets and that those air pockets would cause temp spikes as they pass by the ect sensor

does that not happen until coolant is lost and there's not enough coolant in the system?

My cooling system got airbound several times before the level would go down significantly enough to trigger the sensor. I would see the temp spikes, but no overflown fluid found on the neck. I could still drive the car, the car didn't complain since the temp didn't jump up that much. This was at the very first stage of the failure - around 8 months before the repair.

Water pump can't just stop because of backpressure like Ranger said. It will rotate as long as the water pump belt is rotating.

Ranger
02-28-12, 09:53 PM
I think there may be more than one scenario.

Submariner409
02-29-12, 12:34 PM
sub... i thought that the exhaust gasses in the coolant would form air pockets and that those air pockets would cause temp spikes as they pass by the ect sensor...................does that not happen until coolant is lost and there's not enough coolant in the system?

You get enough "air pockets" in the coolant and the water pump goes into cavitation, tries to pump air and foam - you have overheat. These pumps are centrifugal, not positive displacement, so low coolant or a gas pocket is death, and a plugged or partially plugged purge line accelerates the problem.

Excessive exhaust gas leaking into the system overpressurizes it, blowing off coolant, leading to water pump cavitation which causes overheating.

Coolant carries off more heat than gas or air (that's what its there for) - if a gas pocket passed the ECT, because its action is so highly damped, you would not see any temp change UNTIL there is not enough coolant left in the system to circulate; then temp goes up rapidly, and most of the ECT rise comes from the engine metal itself heating - not necessarily just from hot coolant.

llaramie
03-03-12, 12:36 AM
Thanks, Submariner. I think i have got the process right--It matches your senario--I just keep releasing backpressure each morning--and the Deville keeps going. Thats keeps the pump cooling the engine, instead of it going into cavitation.. . But, I know, i have got to get the Caddy fixed. I took it in to Joe Blau's today (Midwest Cadillac Repair)--We decided on using the Normserts, after all. I thank all for your ideas and support. I will let you know how the repair went, in a few weeks.

dwillv
03-03-12, 12:55 AM
U shop guys r getting ur studs i see.

----------

The tough part is getting the stud kit from northstar performance. Even after u pay for them u dont get them i've been waiting months

edb150
03-03-12, 01:32 AM
LLaramies DeVille will actually be car #148 once it is done. . My milwaukee half inch drill has had a work out!:thumbsup:

CadillacLuke24
03-03-12, 01:47 AM
Nice! Keep rescuing the Northstars! dwilv, go to his site and read up. He is not forgetting the little guy.

Ranger
03-04-12, 10:38 PM
LLaramies DeVille will actually be car #148 once it is done. . My milwaukee half inch drill has had a work out!:thumbsup:
I'll change the title Joe. :thumbsup:

dwillv
03-05-12, 08:09 PM
i've had with the fellow. he cant deliver his product is worthless.i just want my money back.

ThumperPup
03-06-12, 05:34 PM
i've had with the fellow. he cant deliver his product is worthless.i just want my money back.

not all the shop guys are getting studs im betting they ordered them in bulk so that when Jake did ship they didn't have to worry about running out 2 or 3 months down the road
i know David at Powertrian orderes several at a time he just ordered 5 sets i think he said a month or 2 ago and hes down to his last set thats going into a car this or next week

he has been trying to get a hold o jake for a few weeks now and just is not answering or calling back email is even full

maybe you should contact Vincent he seems to be able to get in contact with jake usually

but not all the shops are getting studs
just becaue they can do a stud job they probably bought 4-5-10 sets at a time depending on how many they do

----------

another idea why not contact one of the shops that you can know that have studs like call Joe are midwest cadillac or look on jakes sight for other shops that do stud jobs
ask them if they have a set of studs they would be willing to part with let the know whats going on who knows they might be willing to sell it for a good reason

llaramie
03-13-12, 08:06 PM
So Joe Blau was done repairing my 1996 Cadillac Deville last Thursday, 03/08/2012. I left it with him on the previous Friday. I think he started work on Monday. I drove the car home on that Thursday morning. And everything is running great! He installed the Norm serts on all 20 bolt holes.
Joe also replaced (with new) a motor mount, both dog-bone engine struts, and replaced the gaskets: head gaskets, manifold gaskets, rear seals; Joe replaced old fluids with new: coolant, engine oil, and brake fluid. He replaced all spark plugs as well.

Since then, I have been checking each morning to see if the Deville leaked exhaust gasses in the coolant--and have found none--checking the coolant each morning. on a cold engine: as coolant cap is turned open--no hissing eminates--no backpressure whatsoever.

The car runs great. I had to have a wheel alignment done. But that was no big deal (the steering wheel was off center 2 degrees).

My own mechanic had it on OB-diagnostics looking for a vacuum leak (that turned out to be under the glovebox (and totally unrelated to the hg work). He too, says that the engine sounds great. So as of 03/13/2012, i am, again, a proud Cadillac Deville owner.

Thanks, Joe.

llaramie [#148]

EricsCaddy
05-01-12, 07:54 PM
I recently bought a clean 1999 Cadillac from orland park Toyota. I was not aware of the head Gasket problem and when I drove the Cadillac it ran fine. I went to leave dealer and Check coolant light came on. I found Radiator cap loose, I figured it was left loose by accident. Tech filled radiator and I was on my way, to many problems.. I finally figured out what happened to coolant . All Coolant was pushed out Overflow with cap loose. Cap tight , now coolant goes into upper cylinder.. I need Head gasket repair. I am able to drive the car as I now have a Head Gasket sealer in it and seems to be working ok.. My question is how long of turn around time to repair my car at MidwestCadillac..

Thank You

Eric

Ranger
05-01-12, 10:30 PM
I don't know how often Joe checks in here. According to post #52, about 4-5 days. I suppose that could vary depending on how busy he is. Give him a call at 847-878-5676.

ponyboyt
05-02-12, 07:46 AM
Easy mistake having that vacuum leak under the glove box. There is a vacuum line that gets removed with the wiring harness. Maybe someone forgot, or its kinda hard to see up there to connect it properly.

Ericscaddy: I have a 99 sts here that overheats... at least it thinks it does. Loose coolant cap *could* be a scam. I drive this 99 with the cap loose so it will relieve excess pressure and stay at normal temp (that doesn't always work...). The temp sensor is reading air pocket temps which are higher than the fluid. Tighten up the cap and the system builds more and more pressure, causing the overflow to kick in. I put about 1000 miles on that 99 before i parked it. No coolant in the oil, no coolant consumed. Head gaskets definitely shot. Hoping to have her done this weekend :)

bille
05-27-12, 12:45 AM
Midwest Cadillac Repair can add another one to their list. Talked with Joe after finding his shop searching on the web and this forum. Talked with him on a Monday, he let me drop my Mother-in-laws 98 Deville off at his house Tuesday evening because it was much closer for me, he towed it to his shop Wednesday morning, I think, and called me that Friday evening to tell me it was ready. I picked it up today, Saturday. Everything went much like he said it would and so far so good. Nice guy to deal with and took the time to answer my questions and concerns.

He didn't even complain when I showed up on Thursday and walked into his shop to check on the car and see how it was going.

Just wanted to sign up to this site so I can say thanks to this site and to Joe, and recommend Midwest Cadillac Repair.

Thanks again,
Bill

edb150
06-01-12, 01:38 AM
Midwest Cadillac Repair can add another one to their list. Talked with Joe after finding his shop searching on the web and this forum. Talked with him on a Monday, he let me drop my Mother-in-laws 98 Deville off at his house Tuesday evening because it was much closer for me, he towed it to his shop Wednesday morning, I think, and called me that Friday evening to tell me it was ready. I picked it up today, Saturday. Everything went much like he said it would and so far so good. Nice guy to deal with and took the time to answer my questions and concerns.

He didn't even complain when I showed up on Thursday and walked into his shop to check on the car and see how it was going.

Just wanted to sign up to this site so I can say thanks to this site and to Joe, and recommend Midwest Cadillac Repair.

Thanks again,
Bill

Thanks for the kind words Bill ( # 179) 182 will be completed tomorrow.

Ranger
06-01-12, 11:43 AM
I'll update the thread title Joe.

gfincher
06-02-12, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words Bill ( # 179) 182 will be completed tomorrow.

I have a 1999 DeVille headed your way right now from Alabama via auto-transport. I'll see you at your shop next week to work out details.

gfincher AT live dot com

JoeTahoe
06-02-12, 10:57 PM
lots of good cars you have saved from the crusher congrats

rickrobles
07-10-12, 11:06 PM
Just dropped mine off two days ago, I know it's in good hands he showed me around the shop he had three caddys on lifts its like a caddy ICU.

Ranger
07-10-12, 11:24 PM
Let me know what number yours is when it's done. I'll update the thread title.

vincentm
07-11-12, 02:27 AM
Sweet, another Caddy saved by a great shop and mechanic

CadillacLuke24
07-11-12, 02:50 AM
Joe should be given an award. He is a true Cadillac hero!

Ranger
07-11-12, 12:27 PM
And a nice guy to boot.

CadillacLuke24
07-11-12, 03:43 PM
Even better :thumbsup:

cncwood
07-16-12, 01:49 PM
Just dropped off mine saturday. Be back in business soon hopefully.

Ranger
07-16-12, 03:48 PM
:welcome:

Another '99. :nono:
Sounds like Joe's staying busy.

cncwood
07-16-12, 08:03 PM
Ah the infamous '99... It was news to me(shocking) about the hg/threads issue. 'Course I already bought the car. It was also a shock to the small
car lot I bought it from(co worker) he is willing to foot half of the repair as i still want the car. The car only has 50k on the od and has never seen
road salt, super clean it even still has the new car smell. Good thing I found out about Joe everyone here with all of the praise for him really helped me
choose his shop. I'll keep 'yall posted. The caddy is in ICU waiting for the doctor!

Ranger
07-16-12, 09:58 PM
WOW! A HG failure at 50K might be a record, even for a '99. Wish I new why that year is so bad. It is possible in this case that the cooling system was never maintained. I'd change the coolant every 2 years from here on out if I where you.

It was also a shock to the small
car lot I bought it from(co worker) he is willing to foot half of the repair
Another big WOW! Consider yourself VERY lucky.

And a 3rd WOW! You came a long way.

cncwood
07-16-12, 10:33 PM
As far as changing the coolant it was terrible barely dex color rather brownish, prob the original. I change all of my vehicles fluids regularly(brake, power steering, trans and the coolant). Most people just do their oil and think they are about to get ripped off when the mechanic asks if they want their fluids swapped out. then they are shocked when stuff wears out. An ounce of prevention! Its only 230mi and the train took me right back home no fuss, fairly relaxing except for 230mi of watching the temp guage like a hawk, it didn't act up tho(whew!).

Ranger
07-16-12, 11:05 PM
As far as changing the coolant it was terrible barely dex color rather brownish, prob the original.
That color was probably from those damned sealant tabs that GM used to use.

mmidyette
07-16-12, 11:20 PM
WOW! A HG failure at 50K might be a record, even for a '99.

I wish his was the record:crybaby: Mine started putting exhaust into the coolant at around 45K, December before last. I'm really babying it until I can get it fixed. Started driving my Bonneville again.

I inherited it about 4 years ago from my father-in law who kept it regularly maintained, and I have had it changed three times since.

ELDO GUY
07-17-12, 02:07 PM
Bringing my 2000 Eldo ESC in to Joe this Saturday For a stud job. 70K ,no over heating issuses just coolant loss . Did the block test 3 times over the last few weeks and it failed each time couldnt believe it. I found out by accident about 3 months ago when I was checking things out for a trip. Had to dump in a quart and a half. After the trip about a half gallon .

EldoReal
07-21-12, 08:11 PM
Nope, my Mom's HG's blew on her 98 Deville at 41K miles. Dealer maintained from new. My grandmother bought it new then my parents bought it when she passed thinking it would be a great car. They had it timeserted at the dealership (no warranty, of course) and 20k later they went again. Keep in mind this was not recently. This was back in 2002 when the car was still fresh and Studs and such weren't around. Wish they would have been, it was a beautiful car.

WOW! A HG failure at 50K might be a record, even for a '99. Wish I new why that year is so bad. It is possible in this case that the cooling system was never maintained. I'd change the coolant every 2 years from here on out if I where you.

Another big WOW! Consider yourself VERY lucky.

And a 3rd WOW! You came a long way.

CadillacLuke24
07-21-12, 08:37 PM
DUDE! 41K?? That HAD to have been a Monday morning car, one that would have made the quality control guys barf. That is, if any such people existed.

Ranger
07-21-12, 10:37 PM
Nope, my Mom's HG's blew on her 98 Deville at 41K miles. Dealer maintained from new. My grandmother bought it new then my parents bought it when she passed thinking it would be a great car. They had it timeserted at the dealership (no warranty, of course) and 20k later they went again. Keep in mind this was not recently. This was back in 2002 when the car was still fresh and Studs and such weren't around. Wish they would have been, it was a beautiful car.
That's a shame. Timeserts where most likely the cause. They have been known to fail. They used the same fine threads that failed originally. I think they now use the Bigserts with a coarser thread.

jmildoc
07-21-12, 10:54 PM
Glad to see you are saving all these cars!!!!

cncwood
07-28-12, 11:58 PM
Just picked up the car today and drove it 250 miles home with no issues. Many thanks to Joe and his crew! BTW Joe said that this one was the 199th.

Ranger
07-29-12, 11:58 AM
Well, much like Hendrick Motorsports', we'll be rooting for Joe's 200th. In the meantime, I'll update the title again.

edb150
07-29-12, 10:51 PM
Thanks ranger and we did complete # 200 on saturday.What a journey its been.

Ranger
07-29-12, 10:59 PM
Count updated. :thumbsup:

edb150
07-29-12, 11:03 PM
Thank you:cool:

ELDO GUY
07-30-12, 07:02 PM
I could be 201! I think Im next in line . Stud me up!

EldoReal
08-01-12, 06:58 PM
That's a shame. Timeserts where most likely the cause. They have been known to fail. They used the same fine threads that failed originally. I think they now use the Bigserts with a coarser thread.

It was really dissapointing. The HG's blew while driving through the mountains of West Virginia. Luckily they were close to a dealer who misdiagnosed it as a bad thermostat. They drove the car the rest of the way into Richmond, Va as they were near the end of the hilly areas when they blew. On the way back they were climbing back up and the car overheated again at nearly the same spot. The same dealer that replaced the thermostat then diagnosed it as a bad HG. They said that they would not attempt a repair due to the high failure rate of the timeserts. So my parents rented a U-Haul and towed it back home where they had the block timeserted and HG's replaced. My Mom would not drive the car out of town after that and would only drive it to work and back, which is about a 6 mile round-trip. Fast forward to 2008 when I moved back to my hometown and Mom says the car is running rough and overheating again. At this point I am a trained Ford tech and know the inherent issues with the N*. I told my Mom it was time for the car to go. I sold it stating the HG's were blown and then I took her down to the Ford dealer and we got her the Mustang she had always wanted. Still has and loves it. Been a dead reliable car. What's really sad is the Caddy only had 64k miles on it at the time and was a cream puff. Absolutely beautiful, mint condition, garage kept, etc. My grandmother was literally a little old lady and my mom is 5'2" and weighs maybe 110 wet. Needless to say the seats didn't even look like they had been sat in. I have had a couple of 4.x Caddy's, a 91 Coupe and a 90 Eldo and they were both great cars. I almost pulled the trigger on a 97 Eldo with 110k and no HG repair to date, but the guy would not sell it cheap enough for me to justify the car and studding it. Instead I bought a 00 Conti with the 4.6 Intech V8. 275HP, 275TQ and no "when is this thing going to blow the HG's" thoughts running through my head. I love the 92-2002 Eldo body style though and will buy one when/if I can "steal" it. And of course, thank you for the welcome.

CadillacLuke24
08-01-12, 07:12 PM
I will never know what the fools at Cadillac and GM were thinking when they decided to build the Northstar like they did. It's such a great engine when it's working right. Exceptional gas mileage, insane torque, and man what joy when I mash the gas. Just instantaneous. Get up and GO. If they had built it better, cast it better, or just studded the damn thing. It would have drove costs up some, but the Northstar would be a legend, not a fiend.

Submariner409
08-01-12, 07:12 PM
I drive two Ford F-150 4X4's with the 4.6 OHC engine. Both over 90,000 miles, tight as a drum. ~18 mpg highway on 87, 7,500 miles to the quart of 5W-20 synthetic (yes, Ford runs 5W-20 in light trucks). Nary a problem, both are dead nuts reliable. Because the STS is a F55 MRC car, the trucks are more comfortable and quieter on long road trips..............:cool2:

CadillacLuke24, I could slide your post back to 1956, substitute the brand "Jaguar", "MG", "Austin Healey", "Porsche" and "Mercedes Benz" - as well as any other American brand, and your words would hold true. NO mechanical fuel-burning contraption is without gremlins - You pays you money and you takes you lumps............

Advertising is propaganda: designed to influence your thinking. If you truly believe a Flapfish XRT63-STb will run a skrillion miles without work, then I have a bridge to Brooklyn that I'll sell, cheap.

Different perspective: If - IF - cars were so reliable, why are there so many prosperous Mom&Pop auto repair shops around ??

vincentm
08-01-12, 08:19 PM
Different perspective: If - IF - cars were so reliable, why are there so many prosperous Mom&Pop auto repair shops around ??

Amen
http://www.mrgreen.am/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/20001210jbrelig99.jpg

edb150
08-01-12, 11:01 PM
I could be 201! I think Im next in line . Stud me up!

You are actually 202. 201 and your car are both on the operating tables an apart

ELDO GUY
08-03-12, 02:41 PM
Cool , glad you were able to get those Studs. FYI im out of town next week . Hope to see ya when I come back! I'm starting to get grief about driving a red bug with flowers in the vase ! Tx ELDO GUY .

codewize
08-04-12, 12:31 PM
Never mind

edb150
11-08-12, 10:54 AM
230 cars saved to date

CadillacLuke24
11-08-12, 09:55 PM
LIKE A BOSS! Great job Joe! :thumbsup:

Ranger
11-08-12, 11:18 PM
Wow!

llaramie
02-03-13, 07:19 PM
It has been a year now since Joe Blau at Midwest Cadillac installed the Norm-serts in my 96 Deville.
The car has been running perfectly since then. I check for gasses every now and then by removing the coolant cap from the surge tank and listen for any hisses/burps! (I do this only when the engine is cold, in the morning after the car has been parked overnight). No gases to be heard. This is the way it should be. Thanks Joe.

Ranger
02-03-13, 09:53 PM
Stop wasting your time. You won't hear any hisses or burps when it is cold and has been sitting over night. If a HG is leaking you're gonna hear that right after shut down.

kinceo1
02-22-13, 12:24 AM
I should be up for H/G job with Joe at Midwest in the next few weeks (waiting on tax returns obviously) :suspense: i am looking forward to it very much talked with him on the phone great guy ...

I will update as soon as the work is done .

DaveW68
06-30-14, 05:20 PM
My son's 97 Deville has just gone through the entire head gasket repair process with Joe Blau. We were N* repair #351 for Joe. He had lots of Cadillacs in the parking lot awaiting repairs. Many were from out of state, including Maryland & North Dakota. I think it says a lot that folks will come from those kinds of distances to have their N* engines repaired. We were very fortunate that MCR was only 30 minutes away. Joe ran the full battery of tests and found out that the trans lock-up solenoid was toast, and thus throwing the check engine light. We wanted to make sure the car was at 100% when complete, so we let Joe send the transmission out for the solenoid, seals, and new torque converter at a total price of $450. I believe this was a fantastic deal after reading what others here have paid. If you're having your head gasket repaired and any of the solenoids have gone bad, you can save a small fortune getting this done while the engine is already out of the car, especially if Joe is doing the other repairs.

My total bill was $3004 including tax, which included the head gasket repairs (included the oil seals, head gaskets, head bolt inserts, antifreeze, oil & filter at $2k all in), above mentioned trans repair, new front brakes and rotors, brake hub assembly to get rid of the trac light coming on at higher speeds, water pump, spark plugs, t-stat, serpentine belt, water pump belt, and O2 sensor. I priced all of these items at another local repair shop that I trust and was quoted over $5500 for the same repairs. Joe drove the car over the weekend to make sure that everything was working properly. And it certainly is as it feels like a brand new '97. This car now has all of its power back and we don't have to be afraid to nail the throttle at any time.

Thank you Joe Blau!

Ranger
06-30-14, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the update.
I think Joe is now qualified to do them in his sleep.

Avaya
07-01-14, 12:11 PM
If my car will let me wait, I'm going to take it over there this fall / winter. I'm in the Des Moines area, so I figure I'll take a bus home. What is Joe's typical backlog time?

Ranger
07-01-14, 09:53 PM
:noidea: I would guess it varies. Best to call and talk to him.

ELDO GUY
07-03-14, 04:22 PM
Job #202 reporting in, completed 2 years ago. Drove 15,000 hard miles since repair (studs) , almost daily WOT'S , extended 85 MPH + driving and 2 Dam nasty Chicago winters , better than new, sometimes I don't even know if car is running ! TX again Joe !

Avaya
10-21-14, 03:23 PM
I am repair #381, just completed, very glad I took the extra effort to get it to Joe. Ha, I never did meet Joe face to face, just happened to miss each other on the drop off and pick up.

Ranger
10-21-14, 04:40 PM
Too bad you didn't get to meet Joe. Nice guy.

Thanks for the update. I'll update the thread title.

97EldoCoupe
10-22-14, 09:33 AM
Msg to Joe - did you get the HG job I referred to you from Iowa? I tried emailing you and texting you couldn't get a reply

Ranger
10-22-14, 11:17 AM
Don't hold your breath Jake. Joe hasn't checked in since 08-24-14.