: Bad Gas? - the reprecussions

97cherry
09-27-04, 10:42 AM
I must have either gotten wrong octane (mismarked pump?) or just bad gas, as my ETC has given all signs. I figured after a tank or two of amacco 93, that it would work out...It seems to have gotten alittle better, but still 'sputtering, etc'...WELL, my "service engine soon" light came on this weekend. I called caddy dealer, who said "oh, that's not good, I've seen alot of that lately".. :crying:
So, can anyone tell me what should be the problem, and what I can expect to hear from the dealer tomorrow when I take her in. (90,666 miles).

Thanks in advance.
kdw ;)

RLLOVETT
09-27-04, 10:45 AM
Been using gas additives? which can ruin injectors and fuel pump...too early for coil packs to go? (tends to happen suddenly)...

97cherry
09-27-04, 10:48 AM
Nope, no additives.....just amacco ulimate, and synthetic oil, and alot of love....I'm worried that "bad gas" is gonna run me new fuel lines, pump, "tank"....yikes....
Thanks for reply..
I also need to blow the carbon out, but am affraid to until I get clean bill of health, ya know?
kdw ;)

RLLOVETT
09-27-04, 10:51 AM
Run the codes off your On Board Diagnostic system for more clues and if nothing turns up, try a tank or 2 of high class gas (shell V tech has gotten a few raves here) and see if the problem goes away...

97cherry
09-27-04, 11:04 AM
If I do run the codes, do they get cleared out? I guess I mean I haven't checked them cuz I'm affraid the "techs" won't see them?..I'm crazy/paranoid, etc?... Dunno?
I really am affraid of what I might find out? hahah,...sigh.
If only it would go away, I just put tank 3 of my normal "bp/ammaco 93" in...and still spuddering, diesel sounding, etc....Now the light comes on, and I figures she's not cool w/ the gas issue anymore?..Would "wrong octane" ruin my engine? I had an issue at a BP, where normally, the 93 is all the way on the left, this time, as I looked, I noticed the 93 on the far right? This is when the problems started. (also the day after getting oil changed?)...So, I also think maybe the pump was mismarked, and I did put the bad 87? gas in on accident (since I know better)?

Anyway, I guess I'll find out tomorrow?...thanks for all ideas and help...

Ranger
09-27-04, 12:04 PM
No, pulling the codes won't clear them unless you do so when the DIC asks Clear PCM Codes?. Just turn the key off and they will still be stored.

I run 87 octane all the time. It will not cause the problem you are expiriencing or harm the engine. It runs just fine on 87.

97cherry
09-27-04, 12:18 PM
Eww, 87 ??? Really??? Wow, that blows my mind....It's blown also, wondering what the trouble is....yikes.....welcome back to debt, I guess.

thanks alot for all idears.....

kdw ; )

Ranger
09-27-04, 12:49 PM
Really, 87 is just fine. The Northstar has a knock sensor and the PCM will retard the spark as required so it will run just fine. When I switched over on the recommendation of Bbob I never even noticed any degraded performance or fuel milage. If you are going to race it, use 93. Otherwise put the money in your pocket instead of the oil company's.

97cherry
09-27-04, 01:00 PM
dude.....I guess......sorry, my mind is dripping out of ear.......that always happens..

heheheh

I'll let you know what the story is tomorrow....kdw ;)

dkozloski
09-27-04, 03:50 PM
You most likely picked up some water contamination in the gas. A little alcohol gasline anti-freeze will help here or most likely the dealer will drain the tank.

97cherry
09-27-04, 04:47 PM
the dealer tells me he's heard alot of this lately, is it a very expensive fix? (wondering what I'm up against)..Thanks a million guys...

kdw ;)

Ranger
09-28-04, 12:04 PM
I agree with dkozloski. Before you run to the dealer and drop big $$$ put a bottle of gas drier in the tank and maybe try a different brand or station but definately pull the codes. That will give you/us a very good clue as to what's going on.

Eldyfig
09-29-04, 12:02 AM
I recently had water in my gas which cleared up with a couple tanks of Shell V-Power and some water remover. Water in gas will make your car run like crap.

Eric
09-29-04, 09:49 AM
Years ago I got a tank of bad gas. Don't know what was wrong with it but car ran very bad. After two refills at low level still had some problems. Finally got car running good again by running tank empty. One gallon of gas I was carrying got me to a gas station.

Eldyfig
09-29-04, 11:32 AM
Was it a fuel injected car? I was once told never to let a fuel injected car get below a quater tank. If you did, it wouldn't instantly mean trouble. But it was not good to do. My wife had an Altima and very often when she let it get below a quarter tank, it would be hell to restart. I would have to add more gas to tank to get it started. I guess it is good practice. During the colder months you wouldn't want to run low. Condensation forms in the tank and the more open air in the tank the more condensation.

Eric
09-29-04, 12:53 PM
Not fi. Old 4 bbl. Interesting about 1/4 tank. Have not heard that before. My habit is to fill at about 1/4 tank.

Ranger
09-29-04, 01:01 PM
The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel. The fuel actually cools the pump. When you let it run too low the pump is uncovered and will not be cooled as well which I suspect will be somewhat unhealthy for it and probably shorten it's life.