: Something is setting-off 'park-assist' when stopped at red lights !

SHOWGIRL
01-20-11, 08:13 PM
Hello to All !
while in traffic today and stopped for lights with a car in front (happened more than one time) husband stated the 'park-assist' started beeping - at first he didn't realize 'what' was 'beeping' -at next traffic light he looked and saw the front lights flashing again + the 'beep'!
He doesn't 'tailgate' or stop too closely to the car in front of him ...never did.
Is it possible the car behind him was too close to the rear-fender?!!
Next light there was no one in front of him and the 'beep' did NOT sound ...so there has to be some reason this is being set-off.
He doesn't want to disable this nice feature, so any 'ideas' other than avoid being behind someone (ha ha) would be appreciated.
Best to you all and thanks in advance. :suspense: Showgirl

Rusty058
01-20-11, 08:25 PM
Last week the same thing happened with mine but it was because there was a covering of ice over the front sensors.Eventually the ice melted and the beeping stopped.Was it anything similar?

cadmanchris
01-20-11, 10:00 PM
There is a software update for the park assist module. It will disable the beep at traffic lights but not the front park assist lamps.

Superjim
01-20-11, 10:40 PM
Showgirl,
Do you have ADAPTIVE CRUISE ?

Jim

SHOWGIRL
01-21-11, 07:21 AM
There is a software update for the park assist module. It will disable the beep at traffic lights but not the front park assist lamps.
----------------------------------
that's amazing !! will tell hubby (he doesn't use a computer)...thanks so much ! SG

SHOWGIRL
01-21-11, 07:24 AM
Last week the same thing happened with mine but it was because there was a covering of ice over the front sensors.Eventually the ice melted and the beeping stopped.Was it anything similar?
-----------------------------------------------
We're in a warm climate...how about dust covering the sensors? i'll suggeste cleaning them - can't hurt...i've been in the car with him in traffic in the past several weeks and that never happened...hummmm thanks so much ! SG

SHOWGIRL
01-21-11, 07:25 AM
Showgirl,
Do you have ADAPTIVE CRUISE ?

Jim
--------------------------------
no - we have the 2010 'premium' - only the Plantinum (top) offers that feature ...many thanks anyway... (this should be our biggest problem !!! LOL)
regards - SG

Superjim
01-21-11, 07:39 AM
--------------------------------
no - we have the 2010 'premium' - only the Plantinum (top) offers that feature ...many thanks anyway... (this should be our biggest problem !!! LOL)
regards - SG

Just a thought...but maybe he got a little closer then you think.
Mine WILL beep if I get too close.. :)

Like CadmanChris said..check to see if there is a software update.
I didn't know that.

Jim

SHOWGIRL
01-21-11, 08:31 AM
Just a thought...but maybe he got a little closer then you think.
Mine WILL beep if I get too close.. :)

Like CadmanChris said..check to see if there is a software update.
I didn't know that.
Jim
------------------------------------
Hummm Will check on that software & good point about possibly being 'too-close'' also !! course i thought husbands never make mistakes?? ! :bigroll: :stirpot: S.G

Superjim
01-21-11, 08:41 AM
------------------------------------
Hummm Will check on that software & good point about possibly being 'too-close'' also !! course i thought husbands never make mistakes?? ! :bigroll: :stirpot: S.G

Oh we MAKE 'em...we just never ADMIT to making 'em..:thumbsup:

ffrog
01-21-11, 11:32 AM
SG: May be that hubby is just too close to the car in front. A good rule of thumb is that when you stop you should be able to see where the rear tires of the car in front of you meet the road.

Two reasons:
1 - If a car hits you in the rear there is less change of you being thrown into the car in front, lessening damage and potential injury.
2 - You will have more room to maneuver around the car in front in case they become disabled.

And Jim is correct – most of us will not admit if we made a mistake. My wife is very bad with directions. On trips she will sometime ask if I am lost and if I know where I am. My stock answer is, “No dear, I know where I am. We are still in NAME OF STATE.”

Superjim
01-21-11, 12:00 PM
SG: May be that hubby is just too close to the car in front. A good rule of thumb is that when you stop you should be able to see where the rear tires of the car in front of you meet the road.

Two reasons:
1 - If a car hits you in the rear there is less change of you being thrown into the car in front, lessening damage and potential injury.
2 - You will have more room to maneuver around the car in front in case they become disabled.

And Jim is correct – most of us will not admit if we made a mistake. My wife is very bad with directions.
On trips she will sometime ask if I am lost and if I know where I am. My stock answer is, “No dear, I know where I am. We are still in NAME OF STATE.”

I am going to have to remember THAT.. :) :)
When my wife does that, I tell her..."No Dear... I am just taking the SCENIC ROUTE." :)

Jim

Kenwood
01-21-11, 01:45 PM
Hi all,
This happens to me also at a couple particular intersections near my home, but not at all intersections. I've noticed that these intersections have a "high crown" meaning that the road leading up to the perpendicular road ahead is actually graded lower, so there's a slight incline when you pull up to the intersection. I thought that the nose of the Caddy was aiming at the part of the road that is starting the incline and it thinks it's an obstruction. I also thought that it may be detecting the exhaust cloud coming from the car ahead. One other theory I have is that the magnetic traffic light sensors embedded in the road might be playing tricks on the system. I'm not tailgating and I'm certainly not close enough to set the sensor off beyond the red zone. (remember, it's a gradual warning, the beeping starts after you've surpassed the red zone).

Personally, I'd rather have a false alarm once in a while than to disable the beeps.

Kenwood

Lev Blekher
01-22-11, 04:43 PM
That's funny...this happened to me a few times about a month after I bought the car. Never happened again and never before, even on the same intersection. On a related note, I love showing off the feature when my friends are in the car.

SHOWGIRL
01-23-11, 09:48 AM
Showgirl[/QUOTE]

Hello to all the kind members offering suggestions ... i think it boils down to many possibilities as mentioned and not worth doing anything about - just 'live' with it since it doesn't happen ''all the time''... you all have been so generous with your input and it is much-appreciated !! best to you all ... Showgirl :cool:

GRINNS
06-13-12, 05:47 PM
Hi, I have a 2010 DTS Premium and have the same problem with park assist lights coming on for no reason. Dealer put factory software upgrade on and that stopped the beeping but not the lights. They are now going to replace the parking assist module.....will update you on results. The car has been back to the dealer 5 times and this is the first PART being installed or tried.

GRINNS

danog
06-13-12, 09:32 PM
The bulletin Will tell you the cause, and why it only happes at certain intersections.
Hope this will be of some help.

Front Parking Assist Indicator Illuminated, Audible Chime Sounds When Entering Intersection (Reprogram Object Alarm Module)

Models: 2009-2011 Cadillac DTS

Built Prior to March 22, 2011

This bulletin is being revised to include a build date. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 11-08-127-001 (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that when they come to a stop or slow down through ,, all three of the front parking assist LED indicators will illuminate and stay on until the vehicle moves. The customer may also hear the audible chime indicating a close object for a short period of time (approximately five seconds).

Cause

This condition may be caused by interference from the "inductive loops" in the pavement that control the electronic traffic light timer. The front parking assist indicators will only come on if the vehicle is moving less than 8 km/h (5 mph) or is stationary with the transaxle in drive. The indicators will stay on while the vehicle is over the inductive loop.

Correction

Important: DO NOT replace the object alarm module for this concern.
Important: Select the correct calibration files for the appropriate vehicle configuration (body style) and RPO codes.

A revised calibration and software have been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the object alarm module using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Object Alarm Module Programming and Setup in SI.

When using a Tech 2® or a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.
Important: After reprogramming the object alarm module and the condition is duplicated by the vehicle entering an intersection with an inductive loop present, all three front parking assist LED indicators will momentarily flash and then go off. No audible chime will sound. After repair, inform the customer that this is a normal condition when encountering an intersection with an inductive loop

TulsaVic
06-14-12, 09:58 AM

I'd be curious to know how the system knows you're at a traffic light.....

Superjim
06-14-12, 10:29 AM
I'd be curious to know how the system knows you're at a traffic light.....

I would infer that it is getting interference from the inductive loops that are buried in the pavement at the intersection.
It would appear that the magnetic lines of force... from the loops... are messing with the module that senses distance from an object.

Jim

TulsaVic
06-14-12, 04:34 PM
So that would make it work for the first few cars in line. Cars four and beyond would be beeping. With all due respect Jim, I think your explanation is a bit of a stretch, which is to say I don't believe that function exists.

I have to get pretty darn close to the car in front--like inches--to activate the beeps. Sounds like a calibration adjustment issue. I do get the lights going in and out of my driveway due to the step up from the street.

stormnn
06-14-12, 05:44 PM
My 06 was doing the same thing at intersections etc. I found one of the sensors pushed back into the bumper. I suppose somebody hit it in a park lot. I loosened off the fasica & got a long screwdriver in & pushed it back out. Has been o.k. since.
Norm

Superjim
06-14-12, 06:32 PM
So that would make it work for the first few cars in line. Cars four and beyond would be beeping. With all due respect Jim, I think your explanation is a bit of a stretch, which is to say I don't believe that function exists.

I have to get pretty darn close to the car in front--like inches--to activate the beeps. Sounds like a calibration adjustment issue. I do get the lights going in and out of my driveway due to the step up from the street.

Sorry Vic... I misunderstood your question.
The original question was the sensors beeping when you WERE NOT CLOSE to the car in front of you.
That is what I was referring to...
Stopping at the intersection ... "NOT" being close to a car and the sensors start beeping.
That can be caused by the magnetic loops buried in the pavement.

Jim

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-14-12, 07:16 PM
Hi, I have a 2010 DTS Premium and have the same problem with park assist lights coming on for no reason. Dealer put factory software upgrade on and that stopped the beeping but not the lights. They are now going to replace the parking assist module.....will update you on results. The car has been back to the dealer 5 times and this is the first PART being installed or tried.

GRINNS

We look forward to your updates, GRINNS, and if we can look into anything further for you don't hesitate to get in touch on the forum via direct message.

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

hazcaddy
06-14-12, 08:49 PM
This goes right back to my thread earlier this year about "are the sensors RF susceptible". The Service Bulletin fixed the problem somewhat, but it's coming back with lights only, no beeps. And only when I'm first in line at certain intersections in my neighborhood, so that makes me think the cable in those induction loops may be closer to the asphalt surface than at other locations. It has to be the loops, because it only occurs when I'm first in line.

I'll have them re-program with the new Service Bulletin (thanks, Danog!) and let y'all know what happens.

danog
06-15-12, 01:40 AM
You may have pass over the end of the bulletin.

After reprogramming the object alarm module and the condition is duplicated by the vehicle entering an intersection with an inductive loop present, all three front parking assist LED indicators will momentarily flash and then go off. No audible chime will sound. After repair, inform the customer that this is a normal condition when encountering an intersection with an inductive loop

HartfordGuy
06-26-12, 11:48 AM
Man I wish my DTS had the park assist feature. This week I backed into a parking spot at work and right into an orange cone. Crunch! The cone was covering a broken metal post. D'oh! Now there is a crease in my bumper below the license plate. Then last night I backed out of a restaraunt cutting a wide turn and smacked right into a big metal utility box that was shorter than the height of my trunklid. Wham! I was so embarrassed and upset that i didn't even get out and look until I got home. Yup. Now there is a vertical crease on the left side of the bumper cover and the paint is tore up pretty good. I went out later and touched it up with the bottle of touch up paint, but man am I pissed at myself.

I will be sure to get park assist on my next Cadillac!

TulsaVic
06-26-12, 08:41 PM
Man I wish my DTS had the park assist feature. This week I backed into a parking spot at work and right into an orange cone. Crunch! The cone was covering a broken metal post. D'oh! Now there is a crease in my bumper below the license plate. Then last night I backed out of a restaraunt cutting a wide turn and smacked right into a big metal utility box that was shorter than the height of my trunklid. Wham! I was so embarrassed and upset that i didn't even get out and look until I got home. Yup. Now there is a vertical crease on the left side of the bumper cover and the paint is tore up pretty good. I went out later and touched it up with the bottle of touch up paint, but man am I pissed at myself.

I will be sure to get park assist on my next Cadillac!

If you do, be sure to believe it. About a year ago I was backing into a parking space and the park assist was flashing and beeping. I looked in the side and rear mirror, plus an almost complete head twist for a look out the rear window. Thought stupid system. There's nothing there. That's when I heard the crunch as I hit one of those cement stancheons. Fortunately (??!!) I was rear ended a couple of months ago and got the whole bumper cover replaced.....

hueterm
07-01-12, 12:05 PM
LOL, I hit the side of my favorite coffee shop w/my Escalade...the park chimes are the same as the seat belt chime, and I thought the beeping was it telling me to put my seat belt on...and sccrraaapppe....

The silver mark is still on the side of the bldg :-)