: The repairs on the '85 have begun!

luddyludwick
09-27-04, 02:14 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share...lol...

My '85 Brougham d'Elegance went on the flatbed on Friday and made the 90 mile journey from Keyser to Morgantown. It's waiting until the middle of this week at Morgantown Transmission for a rebuild of the 200R4 tranny. They're also making new brake lines and checking some hoses (it was leaking a little bit of coolant...pray that it's just a hose!) After that drama, it's going to my g/f's dad's shop to see what's up with the A/C, guidematic, and hopefully get a new power triband (AM/FM/CB) antenna...if anyone knows where I can get one, HOLLA!!! It will be getting the coolant change, chassis lube, and oil change then.

Lastly, my dad tells me there is a leak into the passenger compartment coming from where the windshield meets the roof...he seems to think the top has rusted under the vinyl roof...have any of you had this problem? I think it might be a windshield seal, too (it was replaced 4 or 5 years ago...)

If any of you want to see it, you can get to my cardomain site...(http://www.cardomain.com/id/luddyludwick)

Like I say, advice with the antenna and roof is needed!

Bruce

barge master
09-27-04, 07:15 AM
A little while back I noticed a drop of water in the center, near the mirror on my 89. I'm just figuring it's the windshield seal. If it's due to rust, I'm not gonna be happy.

89 D'elegance
09-27-04, 08:19 AM
According to the photos, your car appears in nice shape, I guess they all do in the photos.

luddyludwick
09-27-04, 12:57 PM

It actually is in pretty good shape. It's just normal 20-year-old-car problems...I'm hoping the problem is the windshield seal, too!

It just needs some TLC. God bless my grandfather, but he wasn't the best about wanting to pay for the best (other than the car itself!) He tended to go with whatever the low bid was, and didn't really maintain the HT cooling system, etc., so it's got a few problems due to that and just generally being an underpowered Cad. :)

AElayyat
09-27-04, 02:44 PM
2 85 FWB d'elegance restorations in the same month, nice. Your water leak seems to be the seal, I would get it resealed. Make sure your tranny shop does a good job on the rebuild because mine did something wrong somewhere and I get a vibration from the tranny at about 65mph (I think its the output shaft-it has too much play in it). Good luck with the car let us know how it goes.

Barry Clark
09-27-04, 07:22 PM
On the antenna, I am just gonna go to the dealer. I am done calling salvage yards. All the ones that had one said the same thing. The gears were stripped. :(

luddyludwick
09-28-04, 12:01 AM
Okay, another update :-)

AElayyat, yeah, I am hoping it's just the seal...as for the transmission, and I quote, "The guy they have fixing transmissions there is a transmission god!" LOL! The story is that this guy is awesome, but he retired...fortunately, retirement bores him so he spends his time rebuilding trannies. He won't take them out or put them in, but he'll do everything else... :hmm: I'm not too worried about the quality, but yeah, I hope everything is smooth...it is a Cadillac, after all.

As for the antenna, Bill Buckingham tells me that you can't get a rebuild kit for a triband anymore and that it was a VERY rare option anyway so it will be tough to find. He's going to look a little for me, though. If worse comes to worse, I'll just use a normal antenna.

AElayyat
09-28-04, 12:22 AM
Okay, another update :-)

AElayyat, yeah, I am hoping it's just the seal...as for the transmission, and I quote, "The guy they have fixing transmissions there is a transmission god!" LOL! The story is that this guy is awesome, but he retired...fortunately, retirement bores him so he spends his time rebuilding trannies. He won't take them out or put them in, but he'll do everything else... :hmm: I'm not too worried about the quality, but yeah, I hope everything is smooth...it is a Cadillac, after all.

As for the antenna, Bill Buckingham tells me that you can't get a rebuild kit for a triband anymore and that it was a VERY rare option anyway so it will be tough to find. He's going to look a little for me, though. If worse comes to worse, I'll just use a normal antenna.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the estimate you got to have the tranny rebuilt?

luddyludwick
09-28-04, 01:44 AM
High estimate: $1700, but that included a new torque converter. This shop has a rep for being pricey (they do a lot of racing apps.)

Mid estimate: $1250-1350

Low estimate: $1200...not sure if this includes the new torque converter or not. Probably not. I went with the low estimate because all things were pretty much equal...all the shops in Morgantown that do only transmissions are pretty good.

I thought anything under $1400 was okay for a rebuild; anything more and you might as well buy a brand new one (if you even can). Anything less, I'd be worried if they really had done anything to the car....

luddyludwick
10-25-04, 03:18 PM
Alright...

It's done! Transmission rebuild and new brake lines: $1500+ ugh...it was a good deal, though...nice shop, very good, small, etc.

Now it's at my g/f's dad's shop. Everything from the driver's seat memory to guidematic to a/c to whatever-else is getting the once-over. He also says it really needs new belts and hoses, so that's added to the list, too. I HOPE it is not more than the $1500 I just paid out, though I wouldn't be surprised. A tune up and all the HT4100 goodies (heavy oil, new coolant, etc.) is in order, too. I'll keep everyone posted.

(PS-driving it across town, it was SO difficult to get used to Cadillac steering again...I'm so used to Korean steering...which isn't as bad as it sounds...that I just was all over the place with the light steering on the Cad!)