: Parking Sensors

MiCR0C0SM
01-19-11, 11:52 PM
A couple questions:

Front Parking Sensor
Is anybody able to describe for me the left-to-right range of the front sensors? For instance, is it only good at understanding how close you are to hitting something straight on? Or is it also very good at situations like when you are turning into a parking space and are unsure if you have enough clearance with a car parked in the next spot? I ask because I always freak when my wife rushes into a spot because she just 'knows' what the distance is and if she can make it. You can't know what you can't see, honey. She rolls her eyes. I can't win, but maybe with technology I can..

Rear Parking Sensor
Mind you, I'm a brand new owner, but is it me or did I see little warning icons on the rear view camera pinned to the object that you are in risk of hitting? If so, that's a pretty cool feature. Like a lock-on effect or something, yeah? Helps provide some spacial awareness with the two-dimensional view.

Thanks,
Eric

Hockeytown 1340
01-20-11, 12:17 AM
Both the front and back sensors beep at a quicker pace the closer you get to an object. The back ones tend to beep when I back out of the garage even though there's nothing in the way (door is up LOL) and it may be because of the other vehicle which sits parked next to it. I use them as a warning device, but I do not rely on them for accuracy. so she may want to slow down when entering a parking space! My Avalanche sensors are very similar and sensitive in the way they respond to objects. I'll need to pay more attention to see if there's a warning symbol on both back-up screens.

sube5186
01-20-11, 09:51 AM
In a nutshell:

Shifting into "Reverse" turns on the front and rear ultrasonic sensors. Therefore, if you're pulling into a parking space you'll need to "manually" press the button to turn them on. High-toned beeps are heard from the front speakers for objects detected near the front bumper. Low-toned beeps are heard from the rear speakers for objects detected near the rear bumper. When you hear a "steady" tone as opposed to beeps, you're 11.8 inches away from the object. I usually stop the second I hear the steady tone. One time I didn't and crashed. Luckily, it was only into a snow bank.

See pages 9-40 through 42 of the 2011 owner's manual (8-37 through 39 for 2010) for more details.

Sube

sube5186
01-20-11, 09:55 AM
The back ones tend to beep when I back out of the garage even though there's nothing in the way (door is up LOL)

Mine too. This is normal. The sensors will detect the edges of the garage doorway and items along the garage wall/floor behind the car. The angle of detection is pretty wide, which is a good thing.

Sube

TRMN8R1
01-20-11, 10:08 AM
Mine too. This is normal. The sensors will detect the edges of the garage doorway and items along the garage wall/floor behind the car. The angle of detection is pretty wide, which is a good thing.

Sube

Same here, I was wondering the same thing as I pull out of my garage........with my front and rear audio sensor warnings both going off, it sounds like I'm trapped in some video arcade game!!!!