: Greetings from Australia

AdeNLiz
01-19-11, 09:03 PM
Hi folks,

Adrian here, from Sydney Australia.

We don't own a Caddy yet, so joining the forum is part of my research into the marque.

I am keen on a '67 or '68 Eldorado. I remember seeing them advertised in my parents' 1967 National Geographics :-)

Ultimately I think we'll end up importing one privately, just need to do the math. I saw one advertised here recently for almost $30,000 Australian.

Cheers,

Ade and Liz

billc83
01-19-11, 09:23 PM
Greetings and salutations!

Cool! Cadillac enthusiasts from the Southern Hemisphere! My good friend Phil sold his '68 Eldorado a few years ago and the buyer actually planned to ship it to Australia.

I absolutely can't vouch for the availability of vintage Eldorados in Australia, but you can always find collectible cars ranging from rust buckets to pristine with a little bit of looking. The best advice is to do your research, and buy the best example you can afford.

Stingroo
01-19-11, 09:57 PM
Welcome! Hang around the RWD section, there's another guy from Australia there who's quite active. Maybe he can help you in your search. His forum name is "albymangled"

:) Good luck in your hunting!

Ranger
01-19-11, 10:01 PM
:welcome:

Rolex
01-19-11, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for signing up as a member. How did you guys fare in the recent floods? :hide:

orconn
01-20-11, 12:03 PM
Welcome aboard! Good luck in your search for the Cadillac of your dreams!

RippyPartsDept
01-20-11, 12:26 PM
again,
:welcome:

AdeNLiz
01-25-11, 08:00 PM
Hi again,

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Thanks also for asking about the floods. Didn't bother us in Sydney, but was distressing to see other Aussies in strife. People for the most part have pitched in, either materially or monetarialy, to assist. We spend alot of time in Brisbane and several places we frequent were flooded or simply washed away.

I just picked up a 'Performance Portfolio' book on the Eldorados off eBay. My interest has now moved from '67 or '68 to 1970 and a 500 cube engine. I also figure any gremlins would have been ironed out by the third model year for the FWD system. All looks complex but then Americans built some great aircraft engines (thinking P&W 4360 28-cylinder radial) so am sure the engineering is solid.

Take care,

Ade & Liz

orconn
01-25-11, 08:45 PM
To be honest, Ade, the front wheel drive system, nor the engines on these cars were much of a problem. I had relatives and friends who '67-'69 Eldorados an my own family owned a 1968 Toronado for ten years. I also had three close relatives that owned Toronados. The only drive train problem I remember with these cars was a rubber fuel line would decay and leak gasoline onto the engine with obvious fire hazard problems. Once you were aware of the problem you just watched out for fuel line deterioration and you were fine.

As far as choosing between the first generation and the second generation FWD Eldorados, my vote would be for the 67-68 cars. Unless of course you had to have a convertible and then the rear fender skirted cars would be my preference. Be forwarned that both models handle like "land yachts" and are fine on boulevards and freeways ...... but not at home on anything that twists and turns.

Whichever model you choose I wish you the best of luck finding a good example!

EChas3
01-29-11, 11:19 PM
Welcome!