: Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco, Good for a Commuter? Thoughts?

HAZZARDJOHN
01-19-11, 03:33 PM
I know you guys have a lot of experience with oddball cars, especially cars that are considered full size (I donít get why a premier is full size as it is no bigger than a Taurus but whatever) so I am looking for your experience.

Ok, here is the deal I have a friend that is selling an 1990 Eagle Premier ES with about 90K miles that he inherited from his Grandfather who passed last year. He barely drives it and doesnít want it. I am looking for a commuter car as I am sick of putting miles on my ram (I am almost to 80K on it and it had 38K when I bout it two and half years ago). So anyway it is a really nice car that has been very well taken care of. I would never look for one of these, but it is there and I am thinking about it.

Here are my concerns. It is weird and French. It has a OHC V6 PRV engine and an automatic gear case. I have no knowledge on the reliability of either of these things. He tells me that this car has never been trouble to anyone in his family. What I like about it is it is comfortable, has four wheel disc breaks, the interior is pretty funky for a car of itís age and it gets 30 MPG. The best part is it is forgettable so I could care less if I destroy it by commuting with it, unlike my Dodge which I love.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

~John

orconn
01-19-11, 04:06 PM
Hazzard John, I would worry about that Renault source V-6. As I remember hearing from my mechanic back in the late 1980s early 1990s that these engines, which were used also in Volvos and Renaults, were prone to problems. To the point that he advised me not to touch anything that had one of joint design Volvo/Renault engines in it. It would probably be a good idea to research both the Volvo and Renault version of this engine to see what problems they had or could have.

HAZZARDJOHN
01-19-11, 04:10 PM
I have and that is why I am a little worried. It is so cheap though that I am considering it, but I don't want something that takes $1500 to change a spark plug either.

I am talking $1000 for a low mileage rust free car that gets 30 MPG and is not some econo box with single cylinder Kyoto power cell. I hate OHC engines for reliability, and the fact it is a PRV V6 scares me also, but it is so cheap I am thinking about gambling on it.

~HJ

orconn
01-19-11, 04:18 PM
Personally, I'd relie on my old mechanics advice, and the "caveats" to be found in the Volvo/Renault/Peugeot V-6 engine blogs.

hueterm
01-19-11, 04:38 PM
If it runs and is in good shape, it's worth a grand...if you can drive it as is and not dump a lot into it. If it dies in 6 mos.....then you haven't lost much.

Jesda
01-19-11, 05:04 PM
I would avoid it, but if its in decent shape, beat on it and put it in the trash. I considered buying one a decade ago and I think parts availability was a problem and it was prone to tranny issues?

HAZZARDJOHN
01-19-11, 05:16 PM
I think I am going to go with my gut and say no thanks. It was just a fleeting thought that came up today. He offered it to me and this car looks brand new and is cheap as hell. I really donít want FWD so I think I will stick with my wanting to have a grand marquis or a town car..

hueterm
01-19-11, 07:00 PM
Much better idea...

billc83
01-19-11, 08:43 PM
The PRV was the main reason I bought Bricklin instead of DeLorean.

If the price was cheap enough, I see no reason why not to buy it just to keep the miles on your Ram down. Especially since you have the backup car. As was stated earlier, you haven't lost much even if it lasts only 6 months.

Playdrv4me
01-19-11, 09:17 PM
For 1000.00 for a 90k brand new looking and comfortable car, I don't think there is much to lose, but they are definitely not cornerstones of reliability. They were actually kind of nice in white with the white lace wheels.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-11, 09:18 PM
I totally forgot about the Monaco/Premier. I knew they used a 3.0L V6, but was unaware that it was that goofy Volvo/Renault design. I'd stay away from it too. It's too obscure and weird to be cheap to own and maintain.

Destroyer
01-19-11, 10:27 PM
I actually have some experience with this car. My aunt bought an Eagle Premier new back in '89 or '90. Maybe it was '88, what year did they come out again? Anyway, it was a nice riding car and it felt fairly powerful in the mid range. I drove it for extended periods many times. After about 3 years the tranny went and she traded it for a Lumina. Even then the transmission place wanted like $4k to repair the transmission. But really, what does $1k really buy? It's a pretty cool car and different. I'd chance it. :D

Stingroo
01-19-11, 10:32 PM
http://spbcar.ru/news/en/i/2007-06-08/premier.jpg

I'm torn. :lol: (I know, I know, corny and dry as hell but I just HAD to use that image)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-11, 10:50 PM
http://www.allpar.com/model/premier.html

Grab a beer, sit down and read away.

Playdrv4me
01-20-11, 12:58 AM
http://www.allpar.com/model/premier.html

Grab a beer, sit down and read away.

The Jeep Cherokee, a more modest vehicle with fewer creature comforts, enjoyed a buyer base with an average income of around $50,000, similar to the Cadillac Deville. As Dan Minick wrote:

Chrysler saw that the people who bought these vehicles didn't have Chryslers or even Lincolns in the garage next to the Jeep. Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, etc were the garage roommates of the Cherokees and Grand Wagoneers. Chrysler said, why can't we provide a car that those people would consider buying while they're at the Jeep dealer instead of losing those sales to Volvo, Audi, etc. If Jeep is attracting those 'type' of buyers, why can't we do the same with a car line? That is what the Premier was supposed to do, and the Vision, and the 300M (which was originally going to be an Eagle).

Fascinating, Deville and Cherokee buyers were in the same income bracket!

billc83
01-20-11, 10:10 AM
Part of the reason foreign automakers started building SUVs and trucks was their research showing people who owned a foreign luxury car (BMW, Mercedes) often owned a Jeep or domestic truck as well. They figured (somewhat correctly) that it was lost sales potential.

The sword cuts both ways.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-11, 06:13 PM
I suppose, back then, a brand new 4x4 suv was often a 2nd or 3rd car, and was considered a luxury item. Remember, SUV's were rather obscure until the '90s.

Back to the original topic, I stopped at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer that sold a few of the Premiers and Monacos when they were new, and I was talking to the parts manager about this (37 years experience there) and when I asked him about the Premier/Monaco, he rolled his eyes and said "oh god". I told him your story John and he basically told me that he wouldn't take the world's nicest Monaco/Premier if it was given to him. They looked nice, drove nice, had good power but were a reliability nightmare and they're impossible to find parts for nowadays.

Destroyer
01-20-11, 08:06 PM
I suppose, back then, a brand new 4x4 suv was often a 2nd or 3rd car, and was considered a luxury item. Remember, SUV's were rather obscure until the '90s.Not really. There were tons of Bronco's, Bronco II's, Blazer's , S10 Blazer's, RAM trucks and so forth in the 80's. The SUV was not created in the '90's. There were the International Scout's, the Toyota Land Cruisers, 4Runner .................. the list goes on and many dated back to the early 60's. One could say they became more mainstream in the 90's but they were far from "obscure" in the 80's.:yup:

Jesda
01-20-11, 08:11 PM
Not really. There were tons of Bronco's, Bronco II's, Blazer's , S10 Blazer's, RAM trucks and so forth in the 80's. The SUV was not created in the '90's.

Yeah, but they were driven by a small group of rednecks and blue-collar types.

And sorority sluts. They weren't mainstream. Light trucks briefly outsold cars in the 90s.

orconn
01-20-11, 08:19 PM
^^^ I take it the "sorority" girls really did a job on you?!

hueterm
01-20-11, 08:21 PM
Yeah, but they were driven by a small group of rednecks and blue-collar types.

And sorority sluts. They weren't mainstream. Light trucks briefly outsold cars in the 90s.

To clarify, the 4-Runners were driven by the sluts, the American models were driven by the rednecks, and the Land Cruisers, Grand Wagoneers, and Range Rovers were driven by the well-to-do...

HAZZARDJOHN
01-20-11, 10:12 PM
Yeah I am over it. It wasn't really my kind of car anyway. It just fell into my lap and for the money I thought about it. If I get FWD I want a wagon so it at least has some utility. Something like a 96 Ciera wagon. I tend to fall in love with my cars and my pickup so I really want to find something I wouldn't shed a tear if a satellite from space crash landed on it tomorrow. That is the only way I am going to survive winters with the road salt and crap.

~HJ

Aron9000
01-21-11, 01:46 AM
Yeah I am over it. It wasn't really my kind of car anyway. It just fell into my lap and for the money I thought about it. If I get FWD I want a wagon so it at least has some utility. Something like a 96 Ciera wagon. I tend to fall in love with my cars and my pickup so I really want to find something I wouldn't shed a tear if a satellite from space crash landed on it tomorrow. That is the only way I am going to survive winters with the road salt and crap.

~HJ

Yeah, I here ya. I hate driving my Caddy in this snow/slush/salt crap. This is the 2nd winter I've owned her, both of them have been pretty bad by southern standards. Drove home in like the 4th or 5th snow storm this year today.

As for the Eagle Premier, the way I look at quirky cars is "Do they have a cult following?" Something like Saab, vintage BMW's, old MG's and other british junk the answer is yes. So parts are avaiable, usually through the internet and specialty parts suppliers. As for the Eagle Premier, you aren't going to find parts, and I wouldn't buy one just for that reason.

Jesda
01-21-11, 02:19 AM
^^^ I take it the "sorority" girls really did a job on you?!

I wish. :D

Playdrv4me
01-21-11, 03:40 AM
I always find it hilarious that the S10 Blazer and GMC Jimmy have ALWAYS been conveniently forgotten when discussing the history of the modern SUV.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-21-11, 06:38 PM
They came out in what? '83-'84 right? I wonder why the Cherokee always got the limelight and attention, and the S10 Blazers/Jimmy's didn't? Maybe because the Cherokee debuted with a four door model, and the Blazer/Jimmy didn't get those until '92 or '93?

Jesda
01-21-11, 06:44 PM
I always thought of GM's midsize SUVs as being somewhat crappy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-21-11, 06:47 PM
Yeah, guess that's true. You certainly don't see many of those 1983-94 Blazers and S10s around anymore, especially compared to Cherokees and early Explorers.

Playdrv4me
01-21-11, 06:52 PM
They came out in what? '83-'84 right? I wonder why the Cherokee always got the limelight and attention, and the S10 Blazers/Jimmy's didn't? Maybe because the Cherokee debuted with a four door model, and the Blazer/Jimmy didn't get those until '92 or '93?

That's a very good point, the addition of the extra 2 doors, insignificant as it may seem, probably did give the Cherokee the edge on "utility" early on. It certainly seemed more durable (despite the fact that for a time they ironically SHARED the same 2.8L GM V6 with the S10 and the Jimmy!).

Automobile magazine has been quoted as saying the Jeep Cherokee is one of the 20 greatest cars of all time. "...possibly the best SUV shape of all time, it is the paradigmatic model to which other designers have since aspired."

Destroyer
01-21-11, 11:55 PM
I never owned a Jeep, Cherokee or otherwise. A Wrangler somewhat appeals to me but not anything else Jeep has ever built. Wait, I did have a '73 Wagoneer back in the 80's for a brief time. Lifted with a modded 360 and flat black paint, it was pretty damn cool actually! I can't believe I forgot about it till I started writing this. I paid like $600 for it and beat the snot out of it and then sold it. I was not very appreciative of what I owned back then. I would literally destroy a car instead of selling it sometimes. I once set fire to a '63 Dodge Polara 383 w/push button trans I owned just cause I thought it would be fun. I was hoping it would kinda blow up like they did on TV but it didn't. It just melted everything inside and did nothing really notable or exciting. I remember my friends and I taking sledge hammers to my '68 Ford Thunderbird 429 before I got rid of it. I also remember going out and tipping VW bugs on their roof and then making them spin...............Just a bunch of bored Long Island, NY kids in the 80's I guess........... I'm not alone, we all did shit like this right?:lildevil::histeric:

Stingroo
01-21-11, 11:58 PM
No... we didn't. But the VW bug thing sounds funny as shit!