: 2004 V Maintenance suggestions (very low miles)

ctsvohio
01-19-11, 09:26 AM
Hello. Thanks in advance for taking time to advise. I will try to keep it brief. Bought a 2004 V in Sept. Previous owner rarely drove the car (about two hundred miles). I have added two thousand since then. Would be more but still on original tires and in Ohio. It will soon be my only car. I don't drive it really hard.

I have had the oil changed and the car looked over. CAGS eliminated. I have no complaints except 2nd seems to be a little tough to get into at times. I have the maintenance book but most everything is based on mileage which doesn't apply in my case. My question is this: what maintenance would you suggest I have done to the car this Spring? Local Cadillac dealership is where I plan to take it. If you can include a guess on the cost of each that would be great. Also, all season tire suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

V-Guy
01-19-11, 09:45 AM
Wow. 200 miles in 7 years? That's unbelievable.

cvettr/cts-v
01-19-11, 09:50 AM
Wow, that is low miles, and I thought I had one of the lowest mile v's here at just under 11,500 on an 06, but back to your questions, since you just had the oil changed, check all other fluids especialy the clutch fluid and change as needed. I would test the battery. Then not a maintainance item but will make you love the car more and help with the shifting is to install a short shifter of your choice but get the bushings from luke at lindsay cadillac no matter which shifter you go with choices and cost vary greatly but all do the job. Lindsay's add is on the side of your screen.

V-Guy
01-19-11, 10:25 AM
Regarding tires, I think a lot of folks believe that "all-season" tires are usually "no-season" tires for a V - which is probably right, but I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my car and they've been pretty good this winter. (I just bought the car in October.)

Houdini
01-19-11, 11:55 AM
Overall I really like my PS a/s plus tires but even if it is a little wet I can't seem to get traction even when taking a corner super slow or coming off the line so slow. Damn this torque monster of a motor...lol.

rand49er
01-19-11, 12:38 PM
... check all other fluids especialy the clutch fluid ...That might explain the difficulty of getting it into 2nd gear.

Plus, I'd do the tires regardless of the miles on them. They're gettin' old.

Sounds like a nice car. Can't be many of these ultra-low-miles cars out there. Nice to hear about them, though.

liqidvenom
01-19-11, 03:24 PM
a car with that low of miles might have more issues then you would think. was there a starting schedule or something followed by the previous owner or did it just sit all that time.

ctsvohio
01-19-11, 03:30 PM
a car with that low of miles might have more issues then you would think. was there a starting schedule or something followed by the previous owner or did it just sit all that time.

It was inside on carpet and hooked to a battery charger. He dusted it and had the oil changed once. Hwe would start it and put in some sort of gas stabilizer. I got the oil changed in September when I bought it and have driven around 2000 miles since.

liqidvenom
01-19-11, 03:34 PM
normally if you are just storing a vehicle you would still start it like once a week so it can get to running temp then shut it off. doing oil changes on normal time frames even if it isnt actually getting any miles on it. I wish you luck with the car, i just hate when people treat vehicles like they are paintings. might be one of the worst things you can do for it.

repenttokyo
01-19-11, 04:15 PM
normally if you are just storing a vehicle you would still start it like once a week so it can get to running temp then shut it off. doing oil changes on normal time frames even if it isnt actually getting any miles on it. I wish you luck with the car, i just hate when people treat vehicles like they are paintings. might be one of the worst things you can do for it.

that's a really bad idea for long term storage. idling a vehicle creates moisture inside the engine, fuel lines, etc. if you are storing a vehicle, you don't start it - period - unless you are also going to drive it for at least 30 minutes.

V-Guy
01-19-11, 07:19 PM
It was inside on carpet and hooked to a battery charger. He dusted it and had the oil changed once.

That's downright odd. I would also advocate new tires if it's been sitting anywhere - particularly inside - for that long.

ctsvohio
01-20-11, 07:11 AM
That's downright odd. I would also advocate new tires if it's been sitting anywhere - particularly inside - for that long.

I hear you on tires but curious why you say "particularly inside".

V-Guy
01-20-11, 08:15 AM
I only said that due to a bad experience that I had with the tires on a Harley. While I was going through a divorce a long time ago, I rented an apartment. It didn't have a garage and I didn't want my Lowrider Custom to sit outside, so I rolled it right into the living room and it sat there all winter on a moving mat. The first time I put any significant miles on it the next spring was when I was riding to Daytona for bike week - and I blew a front tire on I-75 going through Atlanta. The sidewall just shredded.

At the shop, the mechanic asked me if the bike had sat inside for a long period of time. I said "yes." He asked if I had electric heat, and I said "yes." He then pointed out a bunch of very small cracks in the sidewall of my rear tire - that hadn't blown yet - and called it "dry rot" from sitting inside a very dry apartment all winter.

I have no idea whether such a thing can happen to modern car tires (the construction is totally different and this was 17 years ago), but that was an experience that stuck with me!

ctsvohio
01-20-11, 08:22 AM
I can see why that would be a lasting memory. The V was in a garage that was attatched but not really heated. I had the mechanic at the dealership look over the tires while I stood there with him and he gave the ok. I may go ahead and get new ones since this seems to be a concern.

Stepside
01-20-11, 08:36 AM
that's a really bad idea for long term storage. idling a vehicle creates moisture inside the engine, fuel lines, etc. if you are storing a vehicle, you don't start it - period - unless you are also going to drive it for at least 30 minutes.

~This is Correct~ :wisdom: Operating your engine "up to running temperature", does not heat soak the engine, exhaust, or drivetrain.

Remember, :coffee: the major by-product of combustion is water.

My car is on jack stands until April, then fluid changes & start-up.

If your car has not had all its fluids changed, then schedule the obvious. :vulcan:

ctsvohio
01-20-11, 09:08 AM
~This is Correct~ :wisdom: Operating your engine "up to running temperature", does not heat soak the engine, exhaust, or drivetrain.

Remember, :coffee: the major by-product of combustion is water.

My car is on jack stands until April, then fluid changes & start-up.

If your car has not had all its fluids changed, then schedule the obvious. :vulcan:

Hello. My problem is I don't know what is obvious. The schedule is based on mileage. Are there fluids that become old/bad just sitting there?

caddad08
01-20-11, 12:57 PM
Personally, since he has driven it a couple of thousand miles since Sept. and had the oil changed I would think that the exhaust and drivetrain are most likely not an issue now.

Stepside
01-20-11, 02:35 PM
Fluids are subject to oxidation over time.( and PH change )

:hmm::suspect: I am subject to oxidation over time . :ill:. :tard: damn, i knew somethin' was wrong . .

:coffee: Anyhow,
1. oil & oil filter
2. air filter (there is a cabin filter, too. that's down the road in a couple of years, unless something reeks)
3. clutch fluid
4. brake fluid
5. coolant fluid
6. transmission fluid (ATF)
7. rear gear lube & additive
I would say that these are listed in order of importance & time.
Doesn't have to be right away,
but plan for it to happen within the next couple of years. :vulcan:

Stepside
01-20-11, 02:38 PM
Fluids are subject to oxidation over time.( and PH change )

:hmm::suspect: I am subject to oxidation over time . :ill:. :tard: damn, i knew somethin' was wrong . .

:coffee: Anyhow,
1. oil & oil filter
2. air filter (there is a cabin filter, too. that's down the road in a couple of years, unless something reeks)
3. clutch fluid
4. brake fluid
5. coolant fluid
6. transmission fluid (ATF)
7. rear gear lube & additive

I would say that these are listed in order of importance & time.

Doesn't have to be right away,
but plan for it to happen within the next couple of years. :vulcan: