: Barely used Cadillacs are so affordable!

ben.gators
01-18-11, 12:05 AM
One of my main hobbies, as it might be yours too, is searching local listings and craigslist for Cadillacs... The main trend that interests me is barely used Cadillacs are so affordable and even cheap these days. As you know Cadillacs always lose their value very fast. However it seems this time the process is even expedited... Followings are some example (I swear to God I am not paid by owners to advertise their cars! :D This is just a sample and you even can find better deals)

2008 Cadillac DTS, low millage, one owner, still under factory warranty, listed price: $16500!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/2163084349.html

2007 Cadillac STS, V8, one owner, listed price: $18750
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2156530765.html

2008 Cadillac CTS, low millage, one owner, still under factory warranty, listed price: $21500
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/2134587065.html

2007 Cadillac CTS, , low millage, still under factory warranty, listed price: $17480
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ctd/2160127531.html

================================================== ========
Also we have reached to the point that the price of used CTS, STS and DTS has started to touch 10,000$ and even it goes below 10k$, and I am not speaking about cars with accidents or salvage title! They are just old enough and the millage is high enough to bring the value of the car below 10k$. And I am sure if someone search around, he will be able to find a nice, clean CTS or STS for 10k$ or less.
Some examples:
2005 Cadillac STS, the millage is not that much horrible, just 86k miles, listed price: 10900$
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/2161317333.html

2003 Cadillac CTS 80K MILES - $9580
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2166051476.html

2006 Cadillac DTS, 100k miles, listed price $9250
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2161167628.html
================================================== ========

I think this is a good opportunity for the people that are looking for luxury cars at affordable prices. Well, I know, you might say new sigma based Cadillacs are not that much luxury. You are right, I prefer my old Seville over these 2003-2007 CTSs, however the fact is our Sevilles, Devilles, Eldos are getting too much old and worn out, some of us still desire to spend the cash and maintain these cars, however for the others that do not have that much connection with these cars, it can be the time to immigrate to CTS/STS/DTS. What do you think?

orconn
01-18-11, 12:31 AM
I agree that there are plenty of Cadillac bargains to be had out there. But like you, Ben, I prefer to maintain the the series 4 and series 5 Sevilles that I already have.

When you figure that leases are figured on the basis of a car being worth approximately 50% of its new price at the end of three model years. The prices being ask for the cars you have listed are in line, considering their above average mileage, with where you would expect to find them.

If you do very little mileage per year, like I do, a car with 50k to 75k can be a very good transportation buy. However, if you put a lot of miles on a car per year the car will depreciate and require a lot more maintenance and will make owning a "luxury" car a more expensive proposition.

I figure I am doing well, if I am spending $1500. to $2000. a year for maintenance and repairs (as I can't do my own work on the cars). If I were putting a lot of miles on the car I would expect a much higher cost.

After a car reaches 5 years old its' rate of depreciation slows considerably, especially if it is kept in good shape and has not accumulated excessive annual mileage, so that aspect of car ownership declines greatly.

Jesda
01-18-11, 08:16 AM
I'm surprised they want nearly $10k for that 2003 CTS. It doesnt have the more powerful 3.6.

Playdrv4me
01-18-11, 04:38 PM
I'm surprised they want nearly $10k for that 2003 CTS. It doesnt have the more powerful 3.6.

The 3.6 was not available until 2004.

Jesda
01-18-11, 05:31 PM
That's why I said "doesnt"

Playdrv4me
01-18-11, 05:41 PM
That's why I said "doesnt"

It's not unusual for a 2003 CTS to still be 10k (we know they hold their value stupidly well for a Cadillac). It sounded as if you were saying that because it didn't have the 3.6 option, that you were surprised it was still 10k.

ben.gators
01-18-11, 05:58 PM
^
Yes, CTS is holding it value pretty good in comparison to other Cadillacs. Two years ago it was almost impossible to find an accident free CTS for 10k$, but now the prices of 2003, 2004 CTS with normal millage, for example 10k-15k miles each years, is reduced to 10k$ because of age, millage, and normal wear and tear.....

Jesda
01-18-11, 06:01 PM
With its careless interior and weak engine, the 2003 CTS's remaining selling points are the bold styling and excellent handling. I'd buy one if it was orange with a manual. Are there really that many fans of The Matrix out there?

ben.gators
01-18-11, 06:16 PM
^
True....

Matrix, yeah, I can remember a new CTS which was absolutely destroyed! It was a 2003?

Playdrv4me
01-18-11, 09:39 PM
Most people forget that the Escalade EXT also had a prominent role in one of the best Matrix chase scenes. Yes they were 2003s.

Jesda
01-18-11, 09:42 PM
The Escalade has a far more prominent role at the Chesterfield Mall.

hueterm
01-18-11, 11:06 PM
Most people forget that the Escalade EXT also had a prominent role in one of the best Matrix chase scenes. Yes they were 2003s.

That was the best part of the movie...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-19-11, 12:17 AM
Didn't they use some classic Cadillacs too? I seem to remember a 71-72 Eldorado Convertible in that scene as well.

ben.gators
01-19-11, 12:22 AM
huh, I never realized there was an Escalade in that movie too... maybe because I never have been into SUVs and trucks and pay little or no attention to them....

Aron9000
01-19-11, 01:30 AM
I don't know if I'd buy a last gen CTS or not. I really do like the exterior styling and driving dyamics, but the interior is flat out horrid. I can deal with it being kind of cheap, but its so UGLY and the gauges are really cheap looking as well. I'm sure a company makes some overlays for the gauges that would dress it up though.

hueterm
01-19-11, 12:48 PM
Didn't they use some classic Cadillacs too? I seem to remember a 71-72 Eldorado Convertible in that scene as well.

I don't think they were driven, they were just in a garage....IIRC

Jesda
01-19-11, 01:36 PM
I don't know if I'd buy a last gen CTS or not. I really do like the exterior styling and driving dyamics, but the interior is flat out horrid. I can deal with it being kind of cheap, but its so UGLY and the gauges are really cheap looking as well. I'm sure a company makes some overlays for the gauges that would dress it up though.

I would definitely have to buy a wood trim kit and new gauge faces to dress it up, and hopefully it would then cover enough of the icky plastic to compensate. That tall center stack looks so awful.

gdwriter
01-19-11, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Gen I CTS. By the time I'm ready to replace the Seville, a Gen II will be well within my price range.

jayoldschool
01-21-11, 05:06 PM
Get back to me when the barely used Cadillacs with good engines (read:Chevrolet) are affordable. Unless it has a V, I'll pass. I suppose I could put up with a N* in an XLR, though ;)

Destroyer
01-21-11, 09:31 PM
Get back to me when the barely used Cadillacs with good engines (read:Chevrolet) are affordable. Unless it has a V, I'll pass. I suppose I could put up with a N* in an XLR, though ;)Corvette chassis. I'll bet an LSx swap is not that hard. Why didn't they just give it an LS motor in the first place? Why did they have to stick a freigin' N* in it? I mean, they put the Z06 motor in the CTS-V, why not in the XLR-V? Seems the XLR is the "image maker" for Cadillac, why put a notoriously bad motor in it when it's a Corvette chassis?

Jesda
01-21-11, 09:34 PM
The CTS-V is a muscle car. The XLR was supposed to compete with the SL. You can't get Mercedes SL levels of refinement out of a Chevy V8.

EChas3
01-21-11, 09:44 PM
Corvette chassis. I'll bet an LSx swap is not that hard. Why didn't they just give it an LS motor in the first place? Why did they have to stick a freigin' N* in it? I mean, they put the Z06 motor in the CTS-V, why not in the XLR-V? Seems the XLR is the "image maker" for Cadillac, why put a notoriously bad motor in it when it's a Corvette chassis?

... in order to showcase a Northstar that finally lived up to its promise!

Destroyer
01-21-11, 09:53 PM
... in order to showcase a Northstar that finally lived up to its promise!
They all lived up to their promise. They were designed to run without coolant for miles. What they didn't tell us is that they were also designed to drink the coolant. :cookoo:

Jesda
01-21-11, 10:01 PM
It didnt drink. It spat. It was never a swallower :histeric: Oil on the other hand...

drewsdeville
01-21-11, 10:11 PM
They all lived up to their promise. They were designed to run without coolant for miles. What they didn't tell us is that they were also designed to drink the coolant. :cookoo:

Haha, nice.

Stingroo
01-22-11, 11:43 AM
Jesda's right. Northstars spit - they're classy.

Destroyer
01-30-11, 11:11 PM
Jesda's right. Northstars spit - they're classy.Classy indeed!!!!:banghead::cool2:

Stingroo
01-31-11, 02:54 AM
I'm really surprised that joke went unnoticed for 8 days on this part of the forum. :lol: