Cadillac Owners Forum banner

OnStar wiring question for Google Voice

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ronr 
#1 ·
Is it possible wire a switch into our cars to function like the phone button on the steering wheels of the non-V CTS's?

I ask because I want to use my OnStar number with Google Voice(GV). In order to link the OnStar phone the process requires GV to call your number, you answer and then enter an assigned 2 digit number on the keypad of your phone. Since the V doesn't have a keypad I can't enter the 2 digit number. On GM cars equipped with a phone button on the steering wheel you can press that button during a call and then "digit dial" the keypad entry. I've done this with my Suburban and it works fine. I'm assuming that if the wires for the steering wheel button exist (or terminal points) on the V I can hook a switch to them and have it function the same way.

I've tried using a DTMF generator and just broadcasting that in the car via the microphone for the 2 digits but that either isn't loud enough or the fidelity is insufficient for GV to recognize.

p.s. I'm still grandfathered on the Verizon family plan with my OnStar phone so I don't buy minutes, rather, any phone time is just part of my bundled Verizon minutes.

#2 ·
i didnt know the regular cts had a phone button... it has a voice command button, if thats what youre talking about, i can tell you how to wire it up, but im not sure as to the phone or the functionality of onstar doing what youre saying, mines been replaced with bluetooth, so ive never used it.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I think the FAQ gives me what I need, should have looked there first! Thanks.

#7 ·
Great, thanks. I'll try that first.

#6 ·
I still don't think it will work as the phone button function you want..... but please keep us updated if you make progress!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.