: Rear O2 wiring harness heat shield removal

ltdltc
01-17-11, 03:00 PM
Not sure if anyone here has done it this but I figured I'd make a thread.

I have a few codes pointing to the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor (P0054,P0036,P0141). I checked the fuse it is fine.

Went to put the sensor in seeing as it is the most accessible O2 sensor on the car and noticed the wiring harness connector is hidden by a heat shield. And I can really bend it out of the way as it has a plastic tree holding the connector to the shield which would only be removed by taking it completely off.

The rivets holding this to the bottom of the car are huge at least 15mm. Can't find rivets of these size anywhere and GM wants well over $2 for one, and there are 5 needed.

I have a few 6mm rivets but doubt they work. I think self tapping screws with washers may work and will work on this in the coming days. But if anyone's tackled this and found another way to attach it, please indulge how you did it!

Superjim
01-17-11, 05:05 PM
Just a thought...
If you have less than 80,000 miles...it should be covered under the EMISSIONS WARRANTY..

Jim

ltdltc
01-17-11, 05:35 PM
I'm about 29,000 miles over the emissions warranty. Inspection is due this month and the I/M won't show ready for testing which of course means I will fail as the MIL light is on.

ltdltc
01-20-11, 10:58 AM
Update, the wiring was damaged just behind the O2 sensor. This thing feels like its welded on and I even tried to take it out while the car was hot. Will drive around today and get it nice and hot and try again.

BTW there's no possible way to bend the wiring harness heat shield out of the way to get to the connector the rivets need to be drilled.

Superjim
01-20-11, 11:32 AM
Update, the wiring was damaged just behind the O2 sensor.
This thing feels like its welded on and I even tried to take it out while the car was hot. Will drive around today and get it nice and hot and try again.

BTW there's no possible way to bend the wiring harness heat shield out of the way to get to the connector the rivets need to be drilled.

How in the world did the wiring get damaged??

Jim

ltdltc
01-20-11, 11:52 AM
I ran over a plastic crate during a snowstorm a while back and after that I started getting the rear O2 sensor MIL codes. I got under the car a short while after and quickly looked and didn't see any obvious damage and seeing as to how the shield covers most of the wiring I ruled it out.

After having a closer look yesterday and putting two and two together there is one wire that is chafed coming out of the back of the O2 sensor. Figures as it is unprotected coming out of the shield to the sensor.

Superjim
01-20-11, 01:42 PM
I ran over a plastic crate during a snowstorm a while back and after that I started getting the rear O2 sensor MIL codes. I got under the car a short while after and quickly looked and didn't see any obvious damage and seeing as to how the shield covers most of the wiring I ruled it out.

After having a closer look yesterday and putting two and two together there is one wire that is chafed coming out of the back of the O2 sensor. Figures as it is unprotected coming out of the shield to the sensor.

I assume there is not...but is there any way to just repair the exposed wire...and save all the work of removing the heat shield and then reattaching it??

Jim

ltdltc
01-20-11, 04:20 PM
I suppose there might be but its to late now. I already took the heat shield off.

stephen.hayne
01-20-13, 11:17 PM
I suppose there might be but its to late now. I already took the heat shield off.

How did you get it off, and how did you re-attach it? Drill out the rivets? And then screws?

Stephen