: Broke down 4 hours from home

Castro
01-17-11, 01:39 PM
I spent the weekend in Pittsburgh (Go Seelers) and the car sat for two days. As I'm about to begin the four hour drive home yesterday it won't start. The electrics all came on, I heard the fuel pump, turned the key to the start position and nothing. No clicks, just nothing. I'm getting pretty pissed at this point, tried jumping it pretty much knowing it wouldn't work (it didn't) and I'm figuring it's probably the starter solenoid, maybe an issue with a clutch sensor not realizing I'm in nuetral, or the anti theft. I ended up having to get AAA out there, checked the battery which was fine, then convinced him to help me push start it. It fired right up and I drove it home, filling it with gas while running, and parked on my side hill in case it wouldn't still wouldn't start. I tried last night and it didn't, same no start condition.

This morning I'm thinking I'm a genius for having backed it up the hill somewhat so I can get it started myself, except it wouldn't budge. I was trying to push it myself after it wouldn't just go to no avail, it was a somewhat snow covered hill. I had a coworker show up to push it and it didn't catch this time. I think it slid on the snow when I dropped the clutch rather than turning it over, my one chance was gone.

Now I'm carless and the garage can't get to it until tomorrow, haven't figured out how to get it there yet either. So... is it the starter itself? The connector fried? Solenoid? I don't know but I'm praying it's simple. It was totally fine on the drive home but that isn't surprising. I just had to vent a little this sucks. We're scheduled to get freezing rain tonight too.

CancerJCC
01-17-11, 02:05 PM
On the plus side the Steelers won and the Pats lost...

Sorry to hear about your troubles, from my reading I would start investigating the clutch position sensor. It seems to be a common culprit but I couldn't tell you the symptoms. BTW it can't hurt to pull the terminals and clean them up real nice. Its free and it once was my answer on an old car that wouldn't do ANYTHING. G/l

Houdini
01-17-11, 02:09 PM
My car push starts with just a few feet of movement (very slow too). Anyway, it is most likely the starter but have you tried swapping the starter relay with another relay in the underhood box? Could be the clutch switch as well but I'm still betting starter needs replaced.

Zo6PwRd
01-17-11, 11:12 PM
Id check the clutch safety switch. Its just bad karma from the rapist winning. Go Green bay vs jets.

odla
01-18-11, 06:52 AM
maybe the wires to the starter are fried. have you checked them. This is a common thing.

haroldabryan
01-18-11, 09:37 AM
Had the same symptoms with my car one night last month. I didn't try push starting it, since I still have the warranty -- I let GM come and get it. Turns out the wires to the starter were fried. The dealer repacled the starter. As metnioned above, this may be common issue and also a good place to start looking.

Castro
01-18-11, 09:41 AM
I had to have it towed this morning. Parked on snow and ice in freezing temps is not where I'm willing to crawl under there and trouble shoot especially in the dark after work. I hope it's something simple like fried wires, I have smelled some mild burning plastic/rubber type smell from time to time after conservative driving so this could be what it was. I was cringing while we winched it onto the flat bed it looked like it was going to hit the front but it just made it. REALLY close.

ctsv-mjf
01-18-11, 10:44 PM
Same symptoms with my car-replace the starter and all is well.

Go Steelers!

sammy4410
01-18-11, 11:57 PM
That happened to me once. I had to have it transported from Orange County to Los Angeles. I found a great transport company with http://www.tierads.com/

Castro
01-21-11, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, I finally heard from the shop this morning that it should hopefully be ready this evening. Long story, not happy with the shop, they took forever to get to it. However... the issue does seem to be the connector and the starter solenoid. Normally a shop would try to sell you a whole new starter ($280 for a cheapo and $400 for the real one) but in this case they are replacing the solenoid ($50) and the connector ($?? but I think it's a $15-20 part). I'm not used to cars breaking down, my other caddy's never did, nor the infiniti or anything else I've owned. This shouldn't be a "common issue" that's just bad engineering/design.

heavymetals
01-21-11, 04:35 PM
"This shouldn't be a "common issue" that's just bad engineering/design."

You seem to forget that we were lucky (?) the V got made at all.

No one was shoehorning a hot rod V8 into a mid size sedan.

Castro
01-24-11, 12:02 PM
Well yes I'm glad they did it, just seems that with everyone chiming in that they had the exact same issue we might have seen a tsb on this especially since it leaves the owner standed and it's a lot of warranty cost to fix a relatively simple issue. Eh corporate knows best, I'm sure they researched it and found it cheaper to just let it happen. My wires were totally fried and it killed the solenoid, working great now and it actually seems to start up stronger than before. Also they found broken exhaust bolts when doing the job and replaced them, this seems to be where most of my 22mph vibes were coming from!

CancerJCC
01-24-11, 02:04 PM
Glad you got it taken care of and the Stillers are heading to the Super Bowl! Whoaa Whooo!

Castro
01-24-11, 02:25 PM
Glad you got it taken care of and the Stillers are heading to the Super Bowl! Whoaa Whooo!

Yeah here we go again! Great game plan sticking with the run but when they put the D in clock killing mode it always makes me nervous. Ben did well even though the stats don't show it. With two weeks of rest (looking at you Pouncey, Troy, Bryant) I think the Steelers will take it in a close game. Aaron Smith should be back too... secret weapon.

CancerJCC
01-24-11, 06:41 PM
Yeah here we go again! Great game plan sticking with the run but when they put the D in clock killing mode it always makes me nervous. Ben did well even though the stats don't show it. With two weeks of rest (looking at you Pouncey, Troy, Bryant) I think the Steelers will take it in a close game. Aaron Smith should be back too... secret weapon.

Yeah I was a bit worried when we took the jump lead. It seems that they love to blow a lead or come back from being down. With that huge lead I was very nervous...

Two weeks and we shall see!