: Might Buy High Mileage V, need advice

MightyMouse75
01-17-11, 12:28 PM
Hi All. 1st post here..
I'm going to go test drive an 04 V with about 170,000 miles on it. The guy claims it's all highway and the rest of the car doesn't show signs of the mileage.
Here's a list of what's been done to the car.
2004 CTS-V
Silver/Tan
sunroof
factory Bose stereo and 6 CD changer
factory Nav/ DVD player
171k miles, but all highway.
Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filter every 3500 miles
car gets 24-25mpg consistently at 75 mph.
No dents or door dings.

New parts within last 3 months (have all receipts):
New T56 transmission,
new clutch,
pressure plate
flywheel,
new K&N air filter element,
new WeatherTec floor mats,
new water pump,
new serpentine belt,
new spark plugs and wires,
new front struts and rear shocks,
new power steering pump and fluid flush,
new coolant flush and antifreeze,
new windshield.
Car also has upgraded 2006 rear end,
CAGS switch,
updated Nav disc,
short throw shifter,
trunk lid gas shocks,
Blue Tooth phone connection.

I can get the car for $10,600 out the door..... Is this worth it?
It seems like all of the "issues" have already been sorted, but why would he be selling after dumping all that $$ into it.

kevm14
01-17-11, 12:51 PM
Boy that sounds A LOT like cts-v ls6's car. That sounds like a really good price to get into one of these cars, especially with the list of new stuff.

MightyMouse75
01-17-11, 02:43 PM
Is that person in the Memphis, TN area.. Germantown, TN to be specific..?

Houdini
01-17-11, 03:05 PM
Seems like a good price to me with all that new stuff. High miles but if it drives fine I'd say go for it.

BirdmanTamu
01-17-11, 03:06 PM
At that price I'd say yes. Especially with the new T56. The engine (well taken care of) should be bullet proof for another 100K.

rand49er
01-17-11, 04:09 PM
The motor should be good. Not sure when the timing chain should be changed, but I'd think that should go on a list of to-dos.

Wheel bearings would be something else to watch.

I'd say, go for it. Other than the two items mentioned above, the car ought to go 50k without a problem and a 100k with only minor stuff.

MightyMouse75
01-17-11, 04:38 PM
OK, thanks for the info guys.
I just have to be fairly confident that the car's not going to give me issues or my wife will .. REALLY SHE WILL.. kill me.. I bought a 3000gt VR4 2 years ago. Last year I blew a head gasket and when I pulled the head I found out that it had some of that "gasket seal" stuff in it. ..
So I sent the heads to be decked, ported and polished, and I pulled the turbos because they were new, but had shaft play. Sent them back for a refund and was looking for an oil line when I guy asked me if I wanted to buy his TD05 kit.. Huge mistake. It's now 1 year almost to the day later and I have .....
Pulled the entire subframe apart, entire engine rebuild from top to bottom with all new sensors and parts, aside from the forged crank and forged rods. Bought a rebuilt trans and transfer case, replaced every seal and bushing on the entire front end, all new suspension, removed the rear steering parts, ran a full braided SS fuel setup with a 310LPH pump, 50lb injectors, new interior, new intercooler, new turbos, new new new.. blah blah blah blah blah..
Needless to say, I just started putting the timing belt on that car and still have plenty to do..

Sooooo.. If I buy this and it does on me in the first year my wife will probably hand me my testicles before stabbing me in the heart.. :D

rjoffe
01-17-11, 05:57 PM
Under those circumstances, I would suggest something with a few less miles perhaps :)

MightyMouse75
01-17-11, 07:41 PM
Haha.. You see why I'm so concerned. At the same time we don't want to get into a large car note, so I want something in the 11k range. I basically need a car that can fit 3 car seats/booster seats in the back. I was looking at Audis, BMWs and other cars, but it's slim pickins when it comes to finding a manual trans car around the Memphis area..
So I'm kind of torn on this one.

CadzillaTN
01-17-11, 09:10 PM
I'm in Memphis. If you can wait another month i'll give you the coordinates of where Ill be launching mine into the wolf river.

MightyMouse75
01-18-11, 10:41 AM
I'm in Memphis. If you can wait another month i'll give you the coordinates of where Ill be launching mine into the wolf river.

that bad, eh?
What's wrong with yours?

CadzillaTN
01-18-11, 12:19 PM
Meh, its just fubar right now. I don't want to litter your thread with a rant..

Personally, after reading your story, I would pass on this particular car despite the allure of new parts, etc.. One gremlin and you are financially screwed. Don't get me wrong, the car is fun to drive and all that bs, but I would not recommend it to anyone who does not have alot of spare change for unexpected (stupid) things you wouldn't expect to have to fix..

Many will probably argue with that advice but I'm not going to paint you a picture that suggests you will be "just fine" by any means..

I'd get a cheapo honda and get that project you are working on finished, then you'll have a fast car to get your fix... you clearly like to tinker with cars and the V will be pulling at your wallet for mods...

MightyMouse75
01-18-11, 12:33 PM
Meh, its just fubar right now. I don't want to litter your thread with a rant..

Personally, after reading your story, I would pass on this particular car despite the allure of new parts, etc.. One gremlin and you are financially screwed. Don't get me wrong, the car is fun to drive and all that bs, but I would not recommend it to anyone who does not have alot of spare change for unexpected (stupid) things you wouldn't expect to have to fix..

Many will probably argue with that advice but I'm not going to paint you a picture that suggests you will be "just fine" by any means..

I'd get a cheapo honda and get that project you are working on finished, then you'll have a fast car to get your fix... you clearly like to tinker with cars and the V will be pulling at your wallet for mods...

By all means, clutter the thread. This is the feedback I need to make a good educated decision. It's difficult to find any info on higher mileage V's.. It's starting to sound like I should keep driving my Junky Dakota for a few years as my DD (even though MPG, looks and comfort are crap one it) and just hold off to find a more recent year 2006 and up, and lower mileage..

I basically need a car that is not FWD and comes with a Manual Tranny that can fit 3 kids in the back. So Hon-duhs are out of the question. BMW 3 series is cutting it close, 06 and up A4's are the right size, but $$, Same goes for 2010+ Subaru legacy's.. Outside of those few rare exceptions there aren't many other choices when it comes to fun, manual, 3 kids in back kind of cars that aren't FWD.. :(
Damn American car makers and their inability to make a car with a Manual tranny..
I drove a CTSV when I was replacing my G35 coupe and it just didn't feel very nice at the time, but that's because the G- coupe is hella nice, but had an oil consumption problem.. 3 engines later it was finally lemoned and I lost about 6k in lawyer fees.. I had a subaru impreza for the past 3 years and it was a great car, but waaaayyyy too small and waaayyyyer too automatic..
I want to buy a car that I'm going to keep for the next forever or two.. So if the V is that car, but has to be lower mileage then yes, I can stand to wait I suppose.

rand49er
01-18-11, 09:11 PM
What's your budget?

I mean, ask your wife what your budget is. :suspense:

MightyMouse75
01-18-11, 10:16 PM
I'd like to stay under $11k if at all possible.
If I go over she'll make me sell the bike or the 3000gt..

kevm14
01-18-11, 11:12 PM
The thing is, many stupid things that go wrong on these cars don't relate to mileage. Some do, yes. But many do not, so the low buy-in puts you WAY ahead, in that respect. Think about it this way...if you had a common problem that you could easily have on a 30k 07 that you paid nearly $30k for, but you had it on your $10k 05, wouldn't you be much more forgiving? That's the realization I had. Don't pay 3x the price for a lower mileage, newer car, and feel like it's going to be flawless. It may be, but I can tell you mileage is a poor indicator.

MightyMouse75
01-19-11, 01:10 AM
Excellent point.
As I've said. I had a brand new G35 Coupe. It had 4 miles on it when I bought it and I went through 3 engines in the first year.. First oil change was an entire engine on that bad boy.. So, I get what you're saying. This has the Mileage issues replaced already.. Clutch, struts and things of that nature.
I suppose the engine should have a long life ahead of it.

Houdini
01-19-11, 08:15 AM
Yeah Kev makes and awesome point. I went the other way and bought the <30k 07 and I'm sure glad I got one with a CPO warranty. I'd be in the whole sooooooo much by now without it.

repenttokyo
01-19-11, 03:45 PM
your g35 experience is hardly typical.

MightyMouse75
01-19-11, 08:59 PM
your g35 experience is hardly typical.

Not necessarily. It was an issue that plagued ALL 2005-2007 G35 6MT's and all 2005-2007 Nissan Z with the 6spd.
The issue was a vacuum issue that caused the engine to suck oil into the intake at about 3000RPM. Most Z and G35 drivers are too wimpy to drive their cars above 3000RPM for sustained periods of time, or they just buy automagics.

RushDL
01-20-11, 12:02 AM
What are some things that can be called typical maintenance issues that crop up for you guys? Are we talking about emmissions systems and OBD2 hardware or what exactly?
Thanks in advance

V-Guy
01-20-11, 01:57 AM
What are some things that can be called typical maintenance issues that crop up for you guys? Are we talking about emmissions systems and OBD2 hardware or what exactly?
Thanks in advance

I'd say failed motor mounts are probably #1 on that list, although others might disagree. (I'm still a newbie here.) And folks that haven't installed the anti-hop axles seem to have had a lot of differential failures.

ctsv247
01-23-11, 11:28 AM
For the money, I'd consider it. I see late model vehicles with over 300k without major issues.

What kind of replacement parts were installed on the car? If el-cheapo struts and shocks or a Chinese waterpump were used, I'd consider these a liability instead of an asset.

What kind of clutch/flywheel is in it?? If it's an ls7 setup, that's worth a grand....

Put it in perspective. If I had a choice between this car with G-Force 9" and a lower miles car for $16,500, I'd take this one if the repairs were done using OE parts.

Point being, 5k will go a long way to curing this cars ills....

PS. Can anyone substantiate those mileage figures??

CadzillaTN
01-23-11, 04:40 PM
By all means, clutter the thread. This is the feedback I need to make a good educated decision. It's difficult to find any info on higher mileage V's.. It's starting to sound like I should keep driving my Junky Dakota for a few years as my DD (even though MPG, looks and comfort are crap one it) and just hold off to find a more recent year 2006 and up, and lower mileage..

I basically need a car that is not FWD and comes with a Manual Tranny that can fit 3 kids in the back. So Hon-duhs are out of the question. BMW 3 series is cutting it close, 06 and up A4's are the right size, but $$, Same goes for 2010+ Subaru legacy's.. Outside of those few rare exceptions there aren't many other choices when it comes to fun, manual, 3 kids in back kind of cars that aren't FWD.. :(
Damn American car makers and their inability to make a car with a Manual tranny..
I drove a CTSV when I was replacing my G35 coupe and it just didn't feel very nice at the time, but that's because the G- coupe is hella nice, but had an oil consumption problem.. 3 engines later it was finally lemoned and I lost about 6k in lawyer fees.. I had a subaru impreza for the past 3 years and it was a great car, but waaaayyyy too small and waaayyyyer too automatic..
I want to buy a car that I'm going to keep for the next forever or two.. So if the V is that car, but has to be lower mileage then yes, I can stand to wait I suppose.

dont let me discourage you!, My car has been relatively pain free to own. Yes, I've exercised my warranty legs a bit, ok alot, but the only thing that has actually "broken" and required repair was my radiator and sunroof (and now steering gear---on backorder---aaaargh! its hell on earth guys)
I was also just thinking about pure economics your situation...so it's hard to say buy a 6 year old car with 200kmi and no warranty...(for 11k)

I think I've seen this car a few times, even parked next to it..got pics but cant find them. It's not really a a bad deal for the price, and the owner is local. If that's Jacks car I know he took care of it.

I have no idea what your budget is, but if you're considering a car note anyway, I would try to find one that was at least 'eligible' for a warranty purchase if not under warranty. The latter could be impossible so you may be stuck with dealers.

But, if you do decide to roll the dice, I would definitely enjoy having another V owner in town. I've only seen a V1 about ~15 times in 3 yrs, and a few of those were multiple spottings of the same car.