: 2006 DTS Oil Leak

BC CAD
01-17-11, 10:05 AM
After owning several RWD Cadillac Fleetwoods I recently purchased a 2006 DTS Lux I with 60k on it. I almost immediately noticed oil on the garage floor. I took it back to the Cadillac dealer and I was told that the rear valve cover gasket was leaking and a transmission line was leaking where it goes into the transfer case. Cost $575. It is not leaking much, a drop or two in the floor each time I drive it. Is it worth the cost of fixing it? Will leaks like this get worse?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Superjim
01-17-11, 10:37 AM
After owning several RWD Cadillac Fleetwoods I recently purchased a 2006 DTS Lux I with 60k on it. I almost immediately noticed oil on the garage floor. I took it back to the Cadillac dealer and I was told that the rear valve cover gasket was leaking and a transmission line was leaking where it goes into the transfer case. Cost $575. It is not leaking much, a drop or two in the floor each time I drive it. Is it worth the cost of fixing it? Will leaks like this get worse?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would try tightening the valve cover...maybe it has just worked loose a little bit.

z06bigbird
01-17-11, 12:21 PM
Divide $575 by $5 (per qt). Sounds like 115 qts--or 115 weeks or 115 months; or some variation.

You next leak will come from the oil pan gasket. $1800 for that one at dealer. BTW, I really like the Northstar--as long as it has really low miles.

Superjim
01-17-11, 01:15 PM
Divide $575 by $5 (per qt). Sounds like 115 qts--or 115 weeks or 115 months; or some variation.

You next leak will come from the oil pan gasket. $1800 for that one at dealer. BTW, I really like the Northstar--as long as it has really low miles.

My 2006 NorthStar has almost 100,000 miles and has never had a hiccup in any way.
It has never had a wrench on the engine or transmission.
Never leaked.
Uses no oil.
Runs GREAT.

Of course...your mileage may vary... :) :)

Texas Jim

ltdltc
01-17-11, 02:47 PM
If yours is leaking right around the #1 cylinder closest to the coolant recovery tank then you have the same leak as mine.

Mine started leaking at around 79K. Had it fixed, they replaced the gaskets.

At around 108k I noticed that the rear head right around the #1 cylinder is very wet again on that corner below the valve cover (which is how I noticed it the first time) and leaks a little on the floor.

Before I ran out of warranty I took the car in after I noticed the side of the block/head was brown (looking under the car through the crossover exhaust manifold) and that corner of the valve cover looked stained again but maybe figured it was there from the first time. Even went so far as to ask them to take me out to the car on when it was on the lift to show them where but the light they had didn't focus on the back of the block which is where I wanted them to look.

So I figure it wasn't repaired very well the first time. They made a note of it so it is on record, don't know if I can go back but I may after I fix my current O2 troubles.

ltdltc
01-20-11, 11:00 AM
Just an update to my post, my slight oil leak doesn't leak onto the ground, poked again under the car last night. The leak I was observing is actually dexcool coming from most likely the coolant crossover located at the back of the block.

BC CAD
01-22-11, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the input. I can't find a thread that has info on how o tighten the valve covers. Can a shadetree mechanic do it? I s it done from the top?
Thanks again for the help.