: Best thing you ever ate?

Jesda
01-17-11, 07:07 AM
I've been pondering this because its early and I'm hungry. I've also been cutting back a bit on eating out because heart disease runs in my family, so I'm getting nostalgic. Right now its a tie between Bern's in Tampa and Thai On First in Spokane WA (completely different price categories too). Honorable mention goes to this hole in the wall Mexican place on the 11000 block of Sprague in Spokane WA:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yQ5ldp0agOc/TQuxrYcWZRI/AAAAAAAABac/Heb6A72KHKU/s1600/abelards.jpg
I swear, I could eat there every single day for the rest of my life and be blissfully happy. If only it wasn't 2000 miles away.

http://www.q45.org/jesda/thailand06/thailand099.jpg
I'm also looking forward to eating in Thailand again in May. My flight is booked. :cool: [And no, I'm not coming home a woman :histeric: ]

Berns was well above average for steaks but I honestly don't remember much about the taste or texture three years later. It was reasonably priced at $50 a head including multiple courses and the service was outstanding. At the time I remember being really, really pleased, but there's probably a good reason I haven't gone back despite being in Tampa a dozen times since 2007. I'll pay anything for quality, and while the experience was awesome the food was just "very good". I expected a mouthgasm from its top 5 reputation.

The highlight was their desserts.
http://www.q45.org/uploads2/Tampa%202007%20RR/100_3823.JPG
http://www.q45.org/uploads2/Tampa%202007%20RR/100_3824.JPG
http://www.q45.org/uploads2/Tampa%202007%20RR/100_3830.JPG
http://www.q45.org/uploads2/Tampa%202007%20RR/100_3832.JPG
It also looked like a French whore house inside, which was kind of awesome.

Florian
01-17-11, 11:05 AM
Dinosaur BBQ in Syr. NY......just awesome!

F

Stingroo
01-17-11, 11:43 AM
EVERYBODY raves about Dionsaur BBQ. I've even seen the place on the food network, and I believe they catered Wagonfest last year.

I must eat there.

orconn
01-17-11, 01:24 PM
I can't name just one "best thing I ever ate" but I can name some meals that were the best in certain categories.

Best American traditional: The roast beef dinner at "Lawry's The Prime Rib" on La Cienega in Los Angeles.

Best Mexican food: By far the best Mexican food "El Rancho" a small Mexican dive just off Pershing Square, L.A..

Best Swedish Smörgåsbord: The "Stockholm Restaurant" at the Abbey Hotel in NYC.

Best German food: "The Red Star Inn" in Chicago, Maeder's in Milwaukee a close second!

Best seafood: The "Circle Dinner" Moorestown, N.J.

Best classic French food: "Le Cellier" Santa Monica, CA their Dover Sole was the best I've ever had.

Best East Indian: "Ceylon India Inn" New York City curries and accompanying breads were outstanding.

Best Ethiopian: "The Blue Nile" on Fairfax in Los Angeles.

Best Chinese: Anyplace my friend Rosa Leong chose to throw a Chinese banquet for a group of her friends
(Rosa Had the inside info on where the finest Chinese cooks were working at any given time in L.A.

Best contemporary gourmet: "The Inn at Little Washington" not the best food I have ever had, but for over priced contemporary "gourmet fare" outstanding.

Best Louisiana gumbo: My own kitchen!

thebigjimsho
01-17-11, 02:53 PM
A few things come to mind...

Steak at Keefers in Chicago. Twice as memorable than any other steak I've ever had.

Mexican at Sierra's in Sudbury, MA. A little restaurant on a main road in an exclusively residential area. One of the most out of place eateries anywhere...

Buffalo wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. Part of the awsomeness may be the nostalgia as the originator of the buffalo wing, but I'm always uber-happy after eating there...

Spicy calamari at O'Connors restaurant in Worcester, MA. O'Connors is very Irish, but they make Irish food and everything else incredible. I pick any dish(that I would never think to normally order) and it tastes amazing. But their calamari is so good I've pretty much stopped eating it anywhere else. Thank goodness they are only 5 minutes away from me...

Submariner409
01-17-11, 03:30 PM
Bacon, eggs, coffee, white toast at 600 feet shortly after we dodged a near miss by a Russian submarine that did a Crazy Ivan in front of us. Why the best meal ?? Because we were still there to enjoy it. Very indelible experience.

Ranger
01-17-11, 05:13 PM
Too numerous to mention or remember (mostly the later).

I'm also looking forward to eating in Thailand again in May. My flight is booked. [And no, I'm not coming home a woman ]
Bringing one home with you? Pick up is cheaper than mail order. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-18-11, 08:49 PM
I say this as I'm eating a cheap ramen dinner....

I'd have to say my favorite thing I've ever eaten (off the top of my head) would be the Cuban Sandwich at Granite City Food & Brewery. It's an upscale American-themed chain restaurant with locations in the upper midwest. The Cuban Sandwich, by and large, is nothing too abnormal or out of the ordinary, but theirs is amazing. Seasoned pork loin sliced thin, with smoked turkey, topped with melted swiss cheese. All served on light, fluffy grilled ciabatta with roasted garlic aioli and yellow mustard. Their is served with the best side of waffle fries I've ever experienced, and a nice cold stout. Perfection for $17.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/38/119/199104188/n199104188_33106977_2405.jpg

I've been going to GCFB pretty consistently since the summer of '07, and I've never gotten anything BUT the Cuban!

Jesda
01-18-11, 08:55 PM
Bringing one home with you? Pick up is cheaper than mail order. :)

LOL! Maybe if she's checked with the luggage :histeric:

ben.gators
01-18-11, 09:13 PM
I say this as I'm eating a cheap ramen dinner....

I'd have to say my favorite thing I've ever eaten (off the top of my head) would be the Cuban Sandwich at Granite City Food & Brewery. It's an upscale American-themed chain restaurant with locations in the upper midwest. The Cuban Sandwich, by and large, is nothing too abnormal or out of the ordinary, but theirs is amazing. Seasoned pork loin sliced thin, with smoked turkey, topped with melted swiss cheese. All served on light, fluffy grilled ciabatta with roasted garlic aioli and yellow mustard. Their is served with the best side of waffle fries I've ever experienced, and a nice cold stout. Perfection for $17.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/38/119/199104188/n199104188_33106977_2405.jpg

I've been going to GCFB pretty consistently since the summer of '07, and I've never gotten anything BUT the Cuban!

Hum, it looks like to be very delicious... however 17$ is too much for a sandwich...

Submariner409
01-18-11, 09:34 PM
No sandwich and fries is worth even close to $17 ! Upscale Subway. Kent Island is awash in "waffle fries" - It's the IN thing......

Now, if we set our sights a bit lower to, say, a decent Philly cheesesteak with lettuce, mayo, fried onions.............. 10" for $7 @ Classic Pizza, run by a bunch of Napolitanos in the metropolis of Stevensville..............

thebigjimsho
01-18-11, 09:42 PM
Hum, it looks like to be very delicious... however 17$ is too much for a sandwich...

No sandwich and fries is worth even close to $17 ! Upscale Subway. Kent Island is awash in "waffle fries" - It's the IN thing......

Now, if we set our sights a bit lower to, say, a decent Philly cheesesteak with lettuce, mayo, fried onions.............. 10" for $7 @ Classic Pizza, run by a bunch of Napolitanos in the metropolis of Stevensville..............

I guess you missed the stout part...goobers...

gary88
01-18-11, 09:43 PM
I don't know about all time, but best in recent memory had to be pizza in Rome.

http://i.imgur.com/CIXeQ.jpg

Submariner409
01-18-11, 09:56 PM
Hah !!! 1970. Apizza. Brand new arrival in Naples, just moved into an apartment. Walked up to a trattoria on Via Epomeo and ordered a large pizza with whatever toppings. A young man created a masterpiece of art and food on a freshly thrown crust. Slid it off the wooden paddle into a flaming oven fueled with wood chips. OMG !!! 6 minutes, out comes this art form. OMG !! He takes the thing and flips it over onto itself - folds it in half !!! OMG !. (Stupid American - real Italians used to eat their vegetable and tomato pie like a sandwich, not in slices.) Still - we ate a LOT of food from that trattoria.

drewsdeville
01-18-11, 10:19 PM
The BEST 14-16oz walleye fillet (makes all other seafood, fresh or salt, taste like Oscar Mayer hot dogs. Lobster, crab, scallops, tuna, calamari, bass, salmon, you name it, it's all insignificant next to a properly prepared walleye), fried or broiled depending on how I feel, bleu cheese potato salad, cup of soup, a few slices of rye bread, and a Hoegaarden for $30. 4 Seasons in Minocqua, WI.

ThumperPup
01-18-11, 10:36 PM
i cant just say best but have to pick between a few

hmm lets see
if its in the USA id have to say a dirty watter hot dog :)

just kidding

not really sure what my favroti american food is

but best Japanese i ever ate was Blow Fish and shashimi in the narita airport in tokyo

chinese would be a hot pot called hogu i think that was in teijin China

Rusian borch and that was in chetchna ok spelled wrong

id have to say taco salad and chille releno from mexico

coconut shrip when i was in jamaica

thebigjimsho
01-19-11, 12:42 AM
The BEST 14-16oz walleye fillet (makes all other seafood, fresh or salt, taste like Oscar Mayer hot dogs. Lobster, crab, scallops, tuna, calamari, bass, salmon, you name it, it's all insignificant next to a properly prepared walleye), fried or broiled depending on how I feel, bleu cheese potato salad, cup of soup, a few slices of rye bread, and a Hoegaarden for $30. 4 Seasons in Minocqua, WI.
You like Hoegaarden? Then you can't be that much of an ass...

Aron9000
01-19-11, 01:20 AM
The stuffed flounder at Staff's Restraunt in Fort Walton Beach Florida. Its oven broiled flounder stuffed with the most divine crab meat stuffing you'll ever eat. Their stuffed/broiled shrimp are amazing as well, same crab meat stuffing, shrimp the size of the palm of your hand. The place is kind of a dump, but I usually eat there twice when I go on vacation, its that good.

The baked lasagna over at Mama Mia's is to die for. They make all the sauces fresh on site every morning, once again another hole in the wall, typical small Italian family owned restraunt. Very unusual place here in Nashville.

As for pizza, best pizza I ever had was in the airport in Philly, King of Pizza. Great New York style pizza, very fresh. Had a layover and had to take a bus to go to the other terminal to get it, but so worth it.

But nothing tops my mom's fried bluegills. She makes home-made rolls, and if its the right time of year there is fresh potates from the garden, mashed of course, along with some cole slaw. I really can't decide if its more fun to catch those buggers or eat them.

I'd also nominate my dad and grandma's potatoe salad. Its really fantastic, doesn't taste like mayo like some people's. You can really taste the potatoes, pickles, onions, eggs and stuff. I've become a total potatoe salad snob after eating theirs, and will say that Bar-B-Cutie has pretty tasty potaoe salad as well.

Ranger
01-19-11, 12:57 PM
4 Seasons in Minocqua, WI.
Great place. I usually go there once each snowmobiling trip. I was just there the week between Christmas and New Year.

drewsdeville
01-19-11, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah? Where do you go snowmobiling? I go every 2nd weekend in Feb, up in Hurley where they get lake effect snow off of Superior nearly 24/7.

Lake of the Clouds on a still winter day is a remarkable sight, and 120mph on a snowmobile is the best way to get there :lildevil:.

Jesda
01-19-11, 01:32 PM
The bucket of clams I had at Ivar's on the pier in Seattle sticks out as a favorite.

Ranger
01-19-11, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah? Where do you go snowmobiling? I go every 2nd weekend in Feb, up in Hurley where they get lake effect snow off of Superior nearly 24/7.

Lake of the Clouds on a still winter day is a remarkable sight, and 120mph on a snowmobile is the best way to get there :lildevil:.

Eagle River.

Lost their base the end of Dec. with the warm up. Waiting for more snow now.

110 MPH was my fastest run and once was enough for me.

orconn
01-19-11, 04:10 PM
I take it the temp must be below freezing when you are zipping along on your snowmobiles at over 100 mph! How do you stand the wind chill factor? I remember the extreme cold that was the worst part of ice boating on Lake Mendota (Madison, Wisc.) back when I used to do it. Even with a balaclava and goggles plus insulated suit it was still cold as Hell .... and a very good reason I gave it up quickly!

Don't think I was a complete wus. I used to start warming up for Spring sailing season by sailing on the open water created by the effluent of the power stations on the lakes when the reat of the lake was frozen solid .... it was cold but nothing like the cold of doing 60 mph on an ice boat!

I do have to say, that you Upper Mid West guys take the cake when it comes to freezing your ass off in the cold .... and calling fun!

Kev
01-19-11, 04:31 PM
My favorite meal is a tender, juicy filet mignon and lobster tail with drawn butter ..... mmmm ....

But recently I very much enjoyed Rubio's blackened Mahi Mahi tacos in Newbury Park CA :thumbsup:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/71706d1295469111-best-thing-you-ever-ate-rubios-fish-taco.jpg

drewsdeville
01-19-11, 06:28 PM
I take it the temp must be below freezing when you are zipping along on your snowmobiles at over 100 mph! How do you stand the wind chill factor? I remember the extreme cold that was the worst part of ice boating on Lake Mendota (Madison, Wisc.) back when I used to do it. Even with a balaclava and goggles plus insulated suit it was still cold as Hell .... and a very good reason I gave it up quickly!

Don't think I was a complete wus. I used to start warming up for Spring sailing season by sailing on the open water created by the effluent of the power stations on the lakes when the reat of the lake was frozen solid .... it was cold but nothing like the cold of doing 60 mph on an ice boat!

I do have to say, that you Upper Mid West guys take the cake when it comes to freezing your ass off in the cold .... and calling fun!

Modern snowmobiles help.

But the best help is dressing correctly. I wear long underwear, flannel lined jeans, a t-shirt, sweat shirt, and a Carhartt suit over it all. Wool socks, mickey mouse boots keep the feet warm (those boots are the smartest investment you can make if you like being outside in the winter), a snowmobile mask and helmet takes care of the head.

Many snowmobiles now heat the seat by routing the exhaust under it, and electric hand and thumb warmers are great. A taller, correctly shaped windshield eliminates any wind chill.

I don't know, I cover a few hundred miles within 24 hours without too much trouble. Maybe part of it is the constant adrenaline; maybe I just don't notice the temp. I will admit, the hot tub at the hotel feels great afterwards, but I'm never chilled to the bone or getting frostbite.

ben.gators
01-19-11, 07:05 PM
Q: Best thing you ever ate?

A: My mother's home-made food!

Ranger
01-19-11, 11:00 PM
I take it the temp must be below freezing when you are zipping along on your snowmobiles at over 100 mph! How do you stand the wind chill factor?

Warm cloths and a good helmet and you do not even feel the wind or cold. We will ride for 4-5 hours and never get cold. On a warm day like high 20's I will frequently have to open my jacket to cool down.

Gotta do something to enjoy the winter or it becomes VERY long and boring.

thebigjimsho
01-19-11, 11:49 PM
i cant just say best but have to pick between a few

hmm lets see
if its in the USA id have to say a dirty watter hot dog :)

just kidding

not really sure what my favroti american food is

but best Japanese i ever ate was Blow Fish and shashimi in the narita airport in tokyo

chinese would be a hot pot called hogu i think that was in teijin China

Rusian borch and that was in chetchna ok spelled wrong

id have to say taco salad and chille releno from mexico

coconut shrip when i was in jamaicaAll that and you can't make it from Ohio to Chicago?

thebigjimsho
01-19-11, 11:54 PM
The stuffed flounder at Staff's Restraunt in Fort Walton Beach Florida. Its oven broiled flounder stuffed with the most divine crab meat stuffing you'll ever eat. Their stuffed/broiled shrimp are amazing as well, same crab meat stuffing, shrimp the size of the palm of your hand. The place is kind of a dump, but I usually eat there twice when I go on vacation, its that good.
Nothing touches the fried flounder filets my grandmother used to cook. My grandfather, my father and I would go out on my grandfather's boat to catch them. We'd clean them on the docks and then have them cooked within the hour.

I miss my grandparents.

Stingroo
01-20-11, 01:35 AM
Q: Best thing you ever ate?

A: My mother's home-made food!

This. I seriously don't know anyone who cooks as good as my mom, and I've met a lot of people. She can make food from all over the place. My absolute FAVORITE though, is Shepherd's Pie. Mmmm. Damn Spring Break, you need to get here ASAP. :( College food isn't cutting it right now.

ben.gators
01-20-11, 05:28 AM
^
Yeah, You know what, having a mother who cooks the best and most delicious food is not that much good either! Well, it is wonderful when you are still a kid and live with your parents, but getting used (addicted) to the good food will put you in trouble when you leave the home and start your own life.... As an example, I am unable to eat fast food, yes, I am serious, I can not! And there are very few restaurants around the city that I can go there and enjoy the food and finish my meal! And I have some concerns about my future life and wife too... There is a good chance that I will not like her cooking, since my mother put the bars too high, and I might end up sneaking out of the house to buy some good food every night!!! :D

orconn
01-20-11, 12:56 PM
Well, Ben, the answer to your dilemma is simple .... learn how to cook! After living overseas for several years, I found myself really wanting some of the ethnic dishes that I had tasted during those years. At the time Los Angeles had not come into the period when it had a myriad of small, mom and pop, ethnic restaurants that it has today. So I was out of luck in finding a Eritrea zigny (chicken stew) or Russian piroshkis and borscht, or Hokkaido "Genghis Kan" (barbecue mutton). The answer to this problem was learning how to cook for myself. I started with the basics and gradually acquired the knowledge to become a very good cook. And of course I could cook standard American fare as well. This worked out well, as my son and I weren't at lose ends as to what to eat when my wife's job took her out of town, or when there was a long strike and she was putting in 12 hour days.

My father also learned to cook for himself, having grown up during his teenage years in Prescott, AZ, where he would could when he went on mountain lion hunts and other all guy adventures. My son also has become a pretty good cook, and again it comes in really handy with the two career families of today, and he enjoys taking his mind off of work while having fun cooking!

ben.gators
01-20-11, 04:09 PM
^
Indeed I was expecting an answer like this! :D
Well, the truth is I can cook, and indeed I can do pretty well! But, as a very busy person I do not have time, energy, or just simply most of the time I am not in the mood for cooking! As an example, I am at the university now, and for launch I need to eat here.... and this is the problem for lunch. After a long day of work, I return back home around 6PM, 7 PM, and I am so tired that I really can not cook for dinner, forget about cooking for tomorrow launch...... But during weekends I usually cook, unless I am in the middle of exams or I have a deadlines for a project, paper, etc....