: 2011 Nav Disc Update Available for the SRX

algiorda
01-17-11, 12:12 AM
The 2011 Navigation disk is available for the SRX. Anyone know where to purchase this cheaper than $199.00!

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-search.asp?lang=en&make=CAD&model=SRX&year=2010

sube5186
01-17-11, 01:01 AM
I've seen these sell for half that price on eBay, but I don't know if they work. Somebody said the DVD comes with a registration number that's unique to the purchaser. Therefore, they might not work once that reg number has been used. I don't know this to be true, but that's what I've heard. If you buy one off of eBay ask a lot of questions and be sure to check the seller's rating.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about updating the Nav maps until I run into frequent errors with directions. It's a losing battle. Theoretically, it's impossible to keep up with. They're building new streets, highways, businesses, hotels, airports, etc. every day. The data on that disc is already outdated before it's even shipped to you.

What I see happening in the future is some type of Google Maps integration whereby updated road info can be downloaded to your vehicle on a regular basis. This is probably at least a decade away. Right now you'll get more accurate navigation using an Android based cell phone. Auto makers always seem to be years behind the rest of the world when it comes to the technology of electronics. I remember how long it took to see the first CD players in cars. Now, people make a big deal out of having a DVD player in the car. How long has Blu-ray been out?

Sube

Ponyman
01-17-11, 09:10 AM
You'ew right Sube. I wouldn't think the road information would change that much in a year, especially in my part of the country. Points of information are a different story. I went three years on my Garmin before updating it, and I wasn't having any trouble with directions from it. just thought I would gt the latest point of interst info. It took three hours to update my Garmn, and I have a fairly fast internet connection at home.

algiorda
01-17-11, 10:57 AM
Yea, you guys are right, I don't see the roads changing that much, except for maybe some of the new access roads to the airports which was the case here in Tampa.

The other selling point is they have updated the POI database for 2011; and I can see LOTS of changes there; ATM's, Restaurants, Gas Stations, etc.etc. Does that warrant a $200 expenditure; I don't know???:hmm:

For someone who uses Ebay all the time, I actually forgot about that!! I'll have to check and see if there are any listed. I wonder if they are genuine GM Nav Disks, 3rd Party, or just plain Pirated.

Al

sube5186
01-17-11, 12:15 PM
I wonder if they are genuine GM Nav Disks, 3rd Party, or just plain Pirated.

The ones I saw looked genuine. At least the packaging and the label on the disc itself looked real. That's why I always check the seller's rating. Sellers with high ratings don't want to jeopardize that by pissing off customers.

Also, the next time you're in for service you might want to ask your service dept. if they can update your Nav maps. I'm sure they already have the discs. They may do it for free.

Sube

sube5186
01-18-11, 11:35 AM
The other selling point is they have updated the POI database for 2011; and I can see LOTS of changes there; ATM's, Restaurants, Gas Stations, etc.etc. Does that warrant a $200 expenditure; I don't know??? :hmm:

Really, what it boils down to is how much you travel. If you're a traveling salesperson who drives 25,000 miles a year, then I would say it might be to your advantage to always have the most up to date Nav maps. On the other hand, if you're retired and drive about 5,000 miles a year it's a waste of money.

Sube

algiorda
01-19-11, 08:09 AM
Since I'm relatively NEW to my area (moved here 8 months ago), I can justify the upgrade as I'm still getting familiar with the areas and businesses. For $129 it's a no brainer, for $200 hmmmm.

CaddySpec25
01-21-11, 12:38 AM
Since I'm relatively NEW to my area (moved here 8 months ago), I can justify the upgrade as I'm still getting familiar with the areas and businesses. For $129 it's a no brainer, for $200 hmmmm.

I have the OEM latest Navigation Discs
-Version 6.0c (P/N: 20940248)
-Version 7.00 (P/N: 20980238) United States+Canada East
-Same thing but Canada West

They will work with most late model Cadillacs and GMs as well.

I am not listing a price but guarantee to beat dealer prices..

Excellent ebay Feedback I can show you as well.

Expedited shipping available via Fedex (secure).

E-mail me: XLM297@Aol.com

stevec5375
01-21-11, 01:39 PM
I have the OEM latest Navigation Discs
-Version 6.0c (P/N: 20940248)
-Version 7.00 (P/N: 20980238) United States+Canada East
-Same thing but Canada West

They will work with most late model Cadillacs and GMs as well.

I am not listing a price but guarantee to beat dealer prices..

Excellent ebay Feedback I can show you as well.

Expedited shipping available via Fedex (secure).

E-mail me: XLM297@Aol.com

Let me ask the obvious question. Are these original discs or copies?