: '78 Deville Conv. Hardtop

caddeville89
01-16-11, 12:28 PM
Hello Gentlemen,

Just found this online for sale in my area. I am just wondering if anybody has seen anything like this before...a convertible hardtop. The price seems a bit low to me. I sent an E-mail asking for more info. I also asked what he would want for the car without the stupid rims. Will see what he says. I guess the hardtop concept is not new, though I guess you would have to be REAL sure it wasn't going to rain that day if you took it out! I wonder if a foldaway top could be custom made. I am looking at this semi-seriously. We are getting a van as our daily driver, so bumping back a few years on the Caddy would be a nice move for me as a toy car.

caddeville89
01-16-11, 12:29 PM
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2161462552.html

^^^There's the link D'OH!

cosmo
01-16-11, 01:15 PM
Forget it. The frame was not designed for the stress of no top, and my bet is he did nothing besides cut off the top.
Cosmo

caddeville89
01-16-11, 02:26 PM
That was my guess as well. I asked him in that e-mail.

77CDV
01-16-11, 02:58 PM
Gotta agree with Cosmo. The body will be out of alignment in no time. Go find a real Le Cabriolet.

jayoldschool
01-16-11, 04:53 PM
6k for that abomination! Wow. A REAL LeCab sold for 8500 in the last couple of days...

Stingroo
01-16-11, 08:10 PM
I say go take a look. You guys may not like or appreciate the style, but a lot of these donk guys (and the low rider guys too) are pretty damn good with cars. Nobody cuts the top off of a car like that, paints it, does the rims, cleans up the interior, and makes sure the top can be replaced just for shits and giggles. This thing is cooler than a LeCab. I'd rock it with some stock wires and be happy.

Take a look and post your findings.

ga_etc
01-16-11, 09:12 PM
That's cool, if it was done right. Wonder if the opera lights still work. The Park Avenue seats look good in it too.

cadillac_al
01-17-11, 07:04 PM
On my '70 Impala convertible, the frame is no different than the hardtops. The Chevelles did have a different frame or more reinforcement or a couple extra body mounts or something. Actually I think the Impala does have just 2 extra body mounts. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it myself. I wonder how they hook the hard top back on it and I wonder how heavy it is to put on? Pretty cool. I have always thought of doing this to my 76 Cutlass. Those look like nice Buick leather seats to me. I sure love driving with no top so if I ever sold my Impala I would probably cut the roof off of something.

cosmo
01-17-11, 07:13 PM
Sure, the frame might be the same (I doubt it highly), but have you thought of the body, and the structural changes that GM made to it's structure??
Different rockers, stiffened 'A' and 'B' pillars, different gauge metal for floorpans. All this and more has been done by various mfrs for the convertibles.
None of this and less has been done to this car. Best guess?? An evening of beers and a handy sawzall gave someone a 'convertible' and now, after noticing that the structure is gone, that same someone is now selling. The seller truly knows how inconvenient that car is now.

But, hey, it's your money.

Cosmo

Stingroo
01-17-11, 07:49 PM
But you're just assuming the work was done wrong. I think that's a pretty unfair assessment of a car that you have never seen before.

cadillac kevin
01-17-11, 08:49 PM
well, since you cant take the car apart to check for added rigidity, I would be leery at best. and I doubt the rear defroster and opera lights work anymore.

jayoldschool
01-17-11, 09:49 PM
I am not assuming anything, other than the price is ridiculous for a car with the roof cut off.

cadillac_al
01-17-11, 09:56 PM
Convertibles are for slow cruising and enjoying the weather. I don't think chassis stiffness and integrity are as important as some people would think. My old heavy Chevy needs new body mounts which gives it a loose feel. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sawzall Caddy rides and handles better than my convertible. Since so many people would be scared to buy it because of these concerns, I'll bet he could be talked down a little. That would be a nice cheap fun if you could get it for $5k with the tunes.

csbuckn
01-18-11, 02:11 AM
I gotta admit, that would be pretty interesting to see up close...for 3500.

Powar
01-18-11, 10:56 AM
Hello from another Louisville Brougham owner. That 'convertible' has been for sale for a while. I think its going to take a special buyer to yet anywhere near the asking price for it. Maybe closer to Derby...

jayoldschool
01-18-11, 12:49 PM
Cutting a roof off of one of these things isn't as bad as some other GM full frame cars. The C body (later D) frame is fully boxed. Stiffer than the C channel frame on the B body sedans/coupes.

caddeville89
01-19-11, 11:49 AM
@ Powar... are you the guy with the Black 1989 Brougham for sale on CL?

cosmo
01-19-11, 07:15 PM
But you're just assuming the work was done wrong. I think that's a pretty unfair assessment of a car that you have never seen before.

You're right. I wrongfully assumed that he was NOT a chassis engineer. He could be Herb Adams. Or he could be a moron who cuts the roof off of cars to look cool, and hopes that there is another fool out there that would like to purchase such an abomination.

And the other poster is correct, too. Chassis rigidity is highly overrated. Who really cares if all the tyres touch the ground at any one time?? Who gives a rats' if the doors fly open 'round a bumpy corner?? And windscreens are quite cheap, so it doesn't matter if they crack every other W/E, either.

Cosmo

Stingroo
01-19-11, 10:08 PM
:rolleyes: If it doesn't interest you, why post in the thread? In all my years on forums I'll never understand why people do this. :noidea:

caddeville89
01-19-11, 10:38 PM
Hey sting, I think the deal is, it DOES interest him, in a negative manner... :P

Stingroo
01-19-11, 10:59 PM
Perhaps. Did you get a chance to take a look at it or were you just browsing CL like we all do?

caddeville89
01-20-11, 07:23 AM
I e-mailed the guy...he never e-mailed back. It might have been my questions like "was the frame reinforced when the top was removed... or maybe he is one of those who never checks. Either way, I'd be interested in going to look at it. Frankly, I'd be willing to trade my '90 for it if the car was in decent shape. He can keep the stereo and the wheels.

Stingroo
01-20-11, 07:58 AM
I'd rock the stereo, but the wheels could go for sure. :lol: