: I'm kinda glad I'm broke, otherwise I have another tank in the driveway.

ga_etc
01-16-11, 03:14 AM
A friend and I were out riding around today and spotted what turned out to be a 1980 Coupe de'Ville. It's had a repaint at some point in it's life and is due for another one. Along the bottom edge of the top on the passenger side it looks like there are some rust issues that need to be dealt with. I couldn't tell from just the quick look if there's bondo on that area or if it's just the paint feels thick where it's bubbled up. The top looks to be in very decent shape, the body fillers are still in it (I'm guessing replaced whenever it was repainted), the Navy leather is typically a little dry, but still in tact, the headliner is still in place even. I don't know how long it had been sitting without being messed with, but after a few pumps of the pedal the old carbed 368 fired right to life, with only a slight miss and an exhaust leak to be noted. With a little bit of work it would be a damn good looking car. My friend is going to try to get it with his tax money. If not, I need to start scheming so I can get it. I just can't believe we found an '80 CDV just sitting on a car lot.

Here's a few pics I took with my phone.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/PART_1295160708751.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/PART_1295160733830.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/PART_1295160664948.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/PART_1295160755993.jpg

greencadillacmatt
01-16-11, 03:36 AM
If I had the cash I'd fly down and drive it back! I could always use another Coupe. It's cool that you or your friend may end up with it. Keep 'em alive guys!

ga_etc
01-16-11, 03:48 AM
It's a surprisingly solid old car. I hope he gets it so I can talk him out of it one day lol. If I had it, I would want to do a full restoration on it.

Robin Banx
01-17-11, 09:52 PM
It looks like an '81 car to me. The grille and hubcaps are from 1981. The interior also looks 1981. Nice find. Lotsa potential with that one.

Cheers...............R.

sven914
01-17-11, 10:06 PM
^You got a point... '80 didn't have a digital ECC or a trip computer (unless diesel).

ga_etc
01-17-11, 11:41 PM
It's carburetted and there's no display for cylinder mode. Did the egg-crate get used on late production '80s?

sven914
01-18-11, 12:09 AM
It could have been updated with a newer grill and a digital ECC. The '81 368 was TBI, which looks like a carburettor, but cars equipped with that engine came standard with a trip computer. If it was an '81 and had the optional Buick 6, then it would be carburetted and not have a trip computer.

creeker
01-18-11, 01:34 AM
It looks like an '81 car to me. The grille and hubcaps are from 1981. The interior also looks 1981. Nice find. Lotsa potential with that one.

Cheers...............R.

Maybe,the door pull handle and steering wheel look different than my 80 cdv.

ga_etc
01-18-11, 02:07 AM
Either way, for a grand, it's a good deal.

ga_etc
01-18-11, 02:34 AM
Ok, so I have done a little looking online. It does appear to be an '81, but this one had to have the gas pedal pumped before it would start, telling me it's carbed. It also is missing the fuel data center. The only thing I can figure is that it's an '81 that has had the motor changed (I'm going to guess under warranty) and when they did, they removed the FDC. That's my best guess, short of running the VIN without seeing the title.

Aron9000
01-18-11, 03:41 AM
Ok, so I have done a little looking online. It does appear to be an '81, but this one had to have the gas pedal pumped before it would start, telling me it's carbed. It also is missing the fuel data center. The only thing I can figure is that it's an '81 that has had the motor changed (I'm going to guess under warranty) and when they did, they removed the FDC. That's my best guess, short of running the VIN without seeing the title.

I'd guess a previous owner was having all kinds of trouble with the fuel injection, and just switched it over to a carb.

How much were they asking for that car? If it was less than $2,000 and didn't have any major mechanical issues, it would've been a really sweet buy.

sven914
01-18-11, 03:52 AM
Some people habitually pump the pedal on anything that looks like it has a carburettor. Some TBI units don't work right and have to be pumped like a carburettor.

Cadillac factory wouldn't swap a V864 for anything but a V864, and there is no way they would have removed the MPG Sentinel. If the interior is factory original, then it has or had a Buick 6 under the hood.

Aron9000
01-18-11, 08:23 AM
^ I know my 91 with the 350 takes a quite of bit of time to crank over cold if its below freezing. If you just very slightly push the gas pedal when its cold, it will fire right up. If you don't do that, it'll crank over for 3-5 seconds and eventually fire right up.

I really can't complain, as this motor will always fire right up no matter the temp, and runs like a freaking freight train. I've never had a car with such nice off idle response, even my LS1 Camaros didn't have as much off idle torque as my old school Caddy. Hell I could straight up tree a stock LS1, provided my superior reaction time, he spun a little bit, and if the race didn't go over 20mph:spin:

In other words I could fly right by a guy in a LS1 if he didn't know how to launch it. My car you just simply brake torque it a little bit, slam the gas to the floor and hold on, it doesn't have enough hp to spin on you, but it will move out pretty good, provided you don't race over 30mph. It falls flat on its face after that.

Bro-Ham
01-18-11, 12:11 PM
A few pieces to the puzzle. It does appear to be a 1981 because of the grille, seat style, door panel style, and electronic climate control. The wheel cover style was standard on deVilles in both 1980 and 1981. Diesel Cadillacs do NOT have the trip computer. If this car has the "blank" panel from the factory where the trip computer usually is then I also suspect it has the 4.1 V6. One last thing, the VIN on a 1981 Cadillac will have 17 digits and a 1980 will have a 13 digit VIN. Good luck with this - keep us posted! :)

brougham_geezer
01-18-11, 01:47 PM
Absolutely an '81 in dire need of factory pinstripe placement (white) and body side molding. Large-ish body gap between trunk and top of left fender, and there seems to be overspray on the reverse lights. I see a dent in the driver's door. Looks like someone's capped the pass. armrest. I'd say: check under floormats front and rear for moisture, as well as trunk. Check door bottoms, rear floorpans, gastank strap hanging-points, where fenders meet trunk-floor and inside the trunk lid's trailing edges. If all is clear, dry and the car is spotless underneath still don't offer more than $1500.00 (if safety inspected).

You should be able to get this one cheaper than that. The poor paintjob will keep other potential buyers at bay. If it's clean underneath, be patient and you might get it for a song. :thumbsup: If it's got holes here and there, body fill, or leaks in the rain: walk away. *There are others.* If short on cash, you'll have your hands full with the fuel-injected drivetrain to worry about body repairs.

Check trans fluid and take her for a little run through the gears.

Send us a pic underhood and we'll let you know what you've got here. Check for electric fuel-pump noise when you first turn the key ahead, that will let you know.

Good find!

jayoldschool
01-18-11, 01:47 PM
The VIN will tell the engine. No need to open the hood.

greencadillacmatt
01-18-11, 08:54 PM
I'm kind of curious now. If you get another chance to look, let us know!

ga_etc
01-19-11, 01:15 AM
It is definitely not a V6 car or diesel. Once I got enough snow off the hood to get it up, I was presented with those pretty blue valve covers. Not to mention the friend I was with has had an '81 Fleetwood, so I know the sound of the 368 as well. From all appearances, it's an '81, only no FDC and the pedal had to be pumped for the car to start after being turned over several times without touching the gas. If he's not able to buy it, I would like to have it myself as a restoration project, as this is a great candidate. Lord knows I can't afford one though. At any rate, the asking price on the car was quoted at $1,000.

greencadillacmatt
01-19-11, 02:09 AM
Trade 'em an Oldsmobile and for it and some cash. :D (I'm kidding, I'm kidding)

sven914
01-19-11, 07:41 PM
^Why you kidding? I don't see point in having Roadmaster imitation, when you could have authentic Cadillac, with free big-block. *Read with a Russian accent-It'll make more sense.

But anyway... The V864 had problems, which is why there aren't any left. So the previous owner probably just swapped the intake, and then realized the MPG sentinel didn't work anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the computer is still partially intact, and capable of entering diagnostic mode.

ga_etc
01-19-11, 07:55 PM
I think Matt was kidding about trading his Olds for it. My Roadmaster isn't going anywhere for a long time